The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
I was a gamer. I used to spend hours playing Microsoft Motorcross Madness II, then Unreal Tournament, and then a ton of driving games.

I finally came to realize I spent hours playing a game and came to the conclusion I don't want to spend the time I have left on this earth playing games. So I took up playing a guitar, and doing Sudoku (on pen and paper).

So when I see these people today walking around so engrossed in their games/phones, and knowing I am in IT and I am not, makes me laugh.

I remember the days of rotary phones, and I have to say I miss those days. For when I get out of work, I unplug, and a big part of that is why I yet to get an electric guitar.
be funny to dress up as a pokemon character and try and mess up the pokemon go players.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
A terrific, special and fantastic game idea that is harmless fun and gets kids out exploring. Its such good clean fun the Boy Scouts of America is using it to attract scouts.
The hospital where my fiance works has beefed up security because players have been coming in looking for pokemon inside the hospital. There is even a pokemon (within the game, of course) on the Life Flight helicopter landing pad atop the hospital. I don't see interfering with patients and their healthcare providers, or running out to helicopter landing pad, as being harmless fun, so it looks like the beefed up security is warranted.

The game's developers should have done a better job to ensure that any pokemon are located in safe areas like public parks so that players aren't injured by cars (or helicopters) and don't interfere with others around them while playing.

But I have nothing against those playing the game responsibly.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
The hospital where my fiance works has beefed up security because players have been coming in looking for pokemon inside the hospital. There is even a pokemon (within the game, of course) on the Life Flight helicopter landing pad atop the hospital. I don't see interfering with patients and their healthcare providers, or running out to helicopter landing pad, as being harmless fun, so it looks like the beefed up security is warranted.

The game's developers should have done a better job to ensure that any pokemon are located in safe areas like public parks so that players aren't injured by cars (or helicopters) and don't interfere with others around them while playing.

But I have nothing against those playing the game responsibly.

Again, this is a total fabrication and hysterical criticizing by people who know nothing about this game (oh and by the way the band KISS actually stands for Kids in Service of Satan, and Ozzie made some kid commit suicide)

A Pokemon "spawns" near you and you use a real-world GPS map to approach it. Once you are close enough, you aim your camera and see the character overlaid on your real camera, then "capture" it (mimicing throwing a pokeball at it).

You only have to be within 200' to do this. The game is made so you can get them from the street, without needing to go inside the buildings (unless you want to).

You never ever have to get closer than 200' to anything including a helipad, so that's totally wrong but that's the garbage people are spewing all over to try and find some social evil in this incredibly clean-cut harmless game.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Again, this is a total fabrication and hysterical criticizing by people who know nothing about this game (oh and by the way the band KISS actually stands for Kids in Service of Satan, and Ozzie made some kid commit suicide)

A Pokemon "spawns" near you and you use a real-world GPS map to approach it. Once you are close enough, you aim your camera and see the character overlaid on your real camera, then "capture" it (mimicing throwing a pokeball at it).

You only have to be within 200' to do this. The game is made so you can get them from the street, without needing to go inside the buildings (unless you want to).

You never ever have to get closer than 200' to anything including a helipad, so that's totally wrong but that's the garbage people are spewing all over to try and find some social evil in this incredibly clean-cut harmless game.
Repello Muggeletum

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

it isn't hard to find the information on the game, if you really want to know how it works.

my google works and i chose wikipedia for a starting point on educating myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-15-2016, 12:53 PM

I was in Lexington, VA this morning. Had some coffee and was roaming around shooting some photos. A group of VMI cadets (based on the uniformity of their footwear) were roaming around in a group and it dawned on me they were playing. Our future military leadership is secured.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:02 PM

I'd actually never heard of this game until a couple of weeks ago, when the lady cutting my hair brought it up in passing conversation...

I went home, googled it, and as usual wasn't surprised to find that it was another one of those "app" or "game" things that "I just don't get" and have no interest in...I find the fascination of others with it amusing, but that's their business and none of mine...

Personally, I'm sure I get more enjoyment and lasting memories out of a walk and conversation with my wife, taking the grandkids to the park, practicing guitar, or taking a ride on one of the bikes than I would from spending my time looking for an imaginary character while gazing at my phone...

As always, YMMV...
Old 07-15-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:

While I understand your position, I caution you to avoid conflating the manner in which the game can be/is intended to be played with the manner in which it is being played in actual practice.

Having said that, I'm sure that most people playing the game are doing so responsibly. But I'm equally sure that a hospital wouldn't waste time training physicians and nurses to address security issues with people playing the game unless there were real world incidents stemming from people playing the game in the hospital. (This isn't a rumor I read from some anonymous person on the internet, it's actual practice in a major hospital group).

Like I said, I have no issue with the game or people playing it responsibly. But not everyone is playing it responsibly (and it's not as if the 12-25 year old age group it targets is the most responsible age group, after all).
Old 07-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
While I understand your position, I caution you to avoid conflating the manner in which the game can be/is intended to be played with the manner in which it is being played in actual practice.

Having said that, I'm sure that most people playing the game are doing so responsibly. But I'm equally sure that a hospital wouldn't waste time training physicians and nurses to address security issues with people playing the game unless there were real world incidents stemming from people playing the game in the hospital. (This isn't a rumor I read from some anonymous person on the internet, it's actual practice in a major hospital group).

Like I said, I have no issue with the game or people playing it responsibly. But not everyone is playing it responsibly (and it's not as if the 12-25 year old age group it targets is the most responsible age group, after all).
have a look at my headlines post, # 28. it was just a sample.

i'm not sure how sensationalized the media is with this, but there are lots of stories of disruption, including inside a vancouver police station, as well as museums, trespassing 911 calls, and i even heard of the game being used to lure robbery victims.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Two young men fell off the seaside cliffs not far from me yesterday while playing Pokeman Go. I think the larger issue is that people get so caught up by what is on their cell phone screen that they forget to check out the real world surrounding them.

CK
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM

It's nice to see Americans importing some culture into our country, Pokémon is one of them

H
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Two young men fell off the seaside cliffs not far from me yesterday while playing Pokeman Go. I think the larger issue is that people get so caught up by what is on their cell phone screen that they forget to check out the real world surrounding them.

CK
Darwin awards all round.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Darwin awards all round.
coming soon, the darwin app...
Old 07-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Stampede in Central Park—there was an exceedingly rare Pokémon:

• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 07-16-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Stampede in Central Park—there was an exceedingly rare Pokémon:

I'm not against Pokemon Go. I still play video games occasionally and I like to think I have an open mind. Honestly, though, that video is pretty disturbing. It's worrisome when people care that much about a Pokemon that is on their cell phone.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s