The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-14-2016, 10:39 PM

Think about a video game you played when you were a kid. Perhaps Space Invaders, or PacMan, or maybe Mortal Kombat or Castle Wolfenstein. Now imagine an app that uses actual maps and landmarks to put those characters in your real world neighborhood, at your church, at McDonald's, wherever, and you have to go explore those places to capture them or interact with them. That's what Pokémon Go does.

Many of today's millennials grew up playing Pokémon. It's a harmless game where you capture little monsters (pocket monsters) and train and evolve them to fight against the monsters from other teams. I actually took my kids to the world championships when they were held in San Diego, and was surprised what a fanatic following this one game had. A decade later, those same kids are getting their first whiff of nostalgia.

Of course, now when one of my kids says, "Sure, Dad, I'd love to go for a walk downtown with you," I'm just a bit suspicious of their motives.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
A terrific, special and fantastic game idea that is harmless fun and gets kids out exploring. Its such good clean fun the Boy Scouts of America is using it to attract scouts.
I only marginally understand what's going on with this app, but based on what little I've seen in the media...if the player's attention is only through their eyes on a smartphone, how much real exploring is going on when the surroundings are merely a blur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Think about a video game you played when you were a kid. Perhaps Space Invaders, or PacMan, or maybe Mortal Kombat or Castle Wolfenstein. Now imagine an app that uses actual maps and landmarks to put those characters in your real world neighborhood, at your church, at McDonald's, wherever, and you have to go explore those places to capture them or interact with them. That's what Pokémon Go does.

Many of today's millennials grew up playing Pokémon. It's a harmless game where you capture little monsters (pocket monsters) and train and evolve them to fight against the monsters from other teams. I actually took my kids to the world championships when they were held in San Diego, and was surprised what a fanatic following this one game had. A decade later, those same kids are getting their first whiff of nostalgia.

Of course, now when one of my kids says, "Sure, Dad, I'd love to go for a walk downtown with you," I'm just a bit suspicious of their motives.
Not to minimize the fun millennial swill have, but perhaps harmless until players start getting run over by vehicles, falling, whatever, while engrossed in their smartphone screen.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:23 AM

Actually, I see nothing wrong with the game as long... as with anything...precautions are observed.

People get run over by cars while riding bikes if not careful.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Actually, I see nothing wrong with the game as long... as with anything...precautions are observed.
Hey! This is the AGF and we must hate everything new!
Old 07-15-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I only marginally understand what's going on with this app, but based on what little I've seen in the media...if the player's attention is only through their eyes on a smartphone, how much real exploring is going on when the surroundings are merely a blur?

Not to minimize the fun millennial swill have, but perhaps harmless until players start getting run over by vehicles, falling, whatever, while engrossed in their smartphone screen.
Their eyes may be on the smartphone, but the smartphone is showing the real world as it is in front of them, just with stuff added to it. So yes, you really are exploring, and paying attention to your surroundings as part of the game.

Much safer than walking while texting, for example.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:27 AM

The local news in my town has reported three fender benders in the last couple weeks -attributed to this game. I ride my bike every day to do errands and get daily groceries. Prior to hearing about this Pokemon Go game, I happen to notice an awful lot of mothers with their kids driving somewhat haphazardly. It's very similar to spring-time when there are garage sales every weekend and people drive like idiots to get to them. Now I know what's going on. These people are totally distracted while playing this game and looking at the GPS.

Ray
Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Good Lord, you gotta be kidding me.
His explanation is very incomplete.

It's a game. Think about any game you play. Think about checker, chess, poker, anything.........you could easily say "you gotta be kidding me" about every single one. Same with every hobby.

By that reasoning, there is no real-world productive result of playing a game.

This is simply a game people play. The brilliant genius behind it is that it actively couple virtual-world online gaming with the real world.

Also, it's not 12- year olds. The biggest demographic seems to be college-age kids.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
If everyone here was 12 years old you'd be totally into it.

Apparently its a bigger hit even with college-age kids.

It's nice to see a smash hit game take the world by storm, especially one as clever as this.

Our 18yo son went out for a walk at 2:30AM because some pokemons spawned in the neighborhood - he ended up walking 3 kilometers.

Before you scoff at Pokemon Go, you should ridicule those people wearing Fitbits, to tell them if they're being active enough.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

I really must protest at the term "Millenial Swill", they are people just like us and have a right to some respect.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

The world is full of naysayers. Anything that becomes quickly popular is instantaneously and unilaterally demeaned by anyone who isn't part of it.

And when that isn't enough, they trump up the dangers to society of this thing they aren't part of.

It only happened with rock and roll, radio, television, electricity, gasoline cars, electric lights, indoor plumbing, school buses, high school football, the lunar landing, paved roads, bahama shorts, microbrew beer, laptop computers, reality TV, bonsai gardening, hula hoops, knickerbockers, saddle shoes, drive thru restaurants, canoe racing, colored hair, electric guitars, holding hands in public, blue jeans, hamster wheels, Julia Child cooking, flouridated water, .........

Old 07-15-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
good fit for today's world or maybe not such a good idea?
Another craze that will die out in a year or less....summertime diversion for the young
Old 07-15-2016, 06:32 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

Invest 4:58. All is good in moderation.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM

I was a gamer. I used to spend hours playing Microsoft Motorcross Madness II, then Unreal Tournament, and then a ton of driving games.

I finally came to realize I spent hours playing a game and came to the conclusion I don't want to spend the time I have left on this earth playing games. So I took up playing a guitar, and doing Sudoku (on pen and paper).

So when I see these people today walking around so engrossed in their games/phones, and knowing I am in IT and I am not, makes me laugh.

I remember the days of rotary phones, and I have to say I miss those days. For when I get out of work, I unplug, and a big part of that is why I yet to get an electric guitar.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
I was a gamer. I used to spend hours playing Microsoft Motorcross Madness II, then Unreal Tournament, and then a ton of driving games.

I finally came to realize I spent hours playing a game and came to the conclusion I don't want to spend the time I have left on this earth playing games. So I took up playing a guitar, and doing Sudoku (on pen and paper).

I was/am an avid gamer (MMORPGs). I'm also an avid guitar player. So I get it.

But, in the big picture how is Sudoku better than Unreal? I would argue Sudoku is a waster of the time you have on Earth.

For that matter, how is playing guitar a "better" use of your time on Earth than playing a game? It's better because it's better for you.

For them, playing Pokemon Go is better than playing Sudoku or playing guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic