The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Default Rhythm playing problems

Hey guys, I was hoping for some advice/help. I've been really trying to work on my rhythm playing, which sucks . I love that choppy jam bandish rhythm playing(think Dave Matthews style), it just creates such a groove. My first problem is that I can't get my wrist that loose. I think this is partially because I'm a lefty, who plays guitar right handed. Any ideas on exercises or other ways to practice getting a loose wrist? The next hurdle is that I just can't get the hang of the muting, both palm muting and muting with the fretting hand. Any ideas here? My main goal is to jam out with my dad. He's a good electric lead player, and I'm starting to get him into acoutsic guitar. I just want to be able to lay down a solid funky groove for him to solo over. Thanks foe any advice
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but as far as rhythm playing goes, check out Justin Sandercoe's lesson index and scroll down and view the rhythm guitar basics videos. There are five of them, as well as a few specialized rhythm videos. Perhaps you can find some help there.

Bill
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM

With or without lessons, the only real way to do it is to keep at it.
And don't give up on it. It will come!

Good luck!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

...and use a metronome..or a click track. Start slow and speed up (altho some rhythm patterns dont really hit the groove without a certain amount of momentum) Take small pieces and once mastered, string them together...also, the KISS principal is your friend...a simple pattern played well gives you much more mileage than a fumpled complex pattern....

Ive also found that the wealth of material on youtube, etc can be helping is "seeing how its done". I perfer using live tracks of covers by bar bands.... as they are less apt to be overdubbed and processed that live tracks by name acts..or true "live" tracks by the artist. Theres also alot of free "How to play..." stuff availble that will open the doors. Youtube also has alot of garbage...and some stuff thats so pathetic its funny, so be judicious....

Im also a lefty playing righty..and the right hand stuff can be challenging for a lefty...but keep at it.

http://www.myspace.com/dhenrymiller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write