The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM

Default 614 vs. 814 - AND c vs. ce

Hey guys. First of all, thanks to all of you for your insightful posts on here. Thanks for keeping me entertained and for fully feeding into my GAS -- specifically TAS.

I've been playing a bunch of models. I'm debating between the 614ce and 814ce. The biggest problem, right now, is that the only guitar shop that has both (and a K14ce!) really needs to change the strings on the latter two. They're awful to play... The 614ce had a new set, but the others were just terrible.

I was looking for some thoughts regarding the two. I've liked the 614ce whenever I've played it, but have not had a fair chance to A/B it against an 814ce. Also, the ones I've played have been 2003 series. Aren't the x14s revoiced since then?

Last question - I'm getting the cutaway, but not sold on the electronics. I've rarely had a need to play plugged in. Normally, it's just for fun in small settings. I figured it'd be cheaper and 'better' to avoid the extra expense (and holes!) at this point. With some of the mixed reviews of the ES, I was really thinking of going sans electronics at this point. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Go with the K-14ce

Both are great guitars in my opinion but others can probably speak into the revoicing more than I can.
As far as electronics, I wouldn't get them if you don't need them. Unless you plan on "growing into" playing plugged in (maybe in 2 or 5 years???), I would go without. It is always fun to play around with it plugged in but if you don't have to, don't spend the money on something you won't need or use.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM

TaylorKoaFan - Hmmm... not a bad idea. I'll have to check into the possibility of special ordering a K14c.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I would go without the E. Why? Because you have more options. You can put any number of pickup systems in and use a strapjack. If it's got an NT neck, you can always have the ES installed later with no problem. However, once the ES is in, using any other system becomes problematic at best.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=TaylorKoaFan]Go with the K-14ce
QUOTE]
I second the motion!!! You can?t go wrong with the K14c. I love the koa/eng sound

A string here, a string there...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:56 PM

I ran across a K-14c a while ago on ebay. (it was a long while ago though). I wanted to buy it until I remembered I already have a K-14ce with a Cedar top that I love. Can't afford another one...........yet!!!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM

You really need to try the 814 and compare it to the 614 before you make a decision. The two are quite different. Have the dealer change the worn strings.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 PM

definitely have the dealer change the strings... that's a small price for him to pay knowing that you'll be buying one or the other. also, don't get the e. lots of people hate the es system, and if you put something in afterwards, you can try other stuff from the multitude of really great pickup makers and get something you know you'll like.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 06-02-2006, 05:07 PM

I second the recommendation to try a 614 vs a 814. I have both the 814 L7 Cocobolo and have a regular 814ce (IR). I have a 615 now but sold the 614. I know I am losing my mind, but am selling several of my collection for the new arrivals...anyway...

There are unique differences between any of the regular 814ce but not as much as between an IR and Maple x14 IMO. In my experience the Maple is a little thin in the midrange. I would be curious if that were others experience as well? The rosewood is often considered warmer, but I actually like a thin midrange as it leaves space for my vocals. Also the maple has a really, really nice bright attack and ring with fingerstyle or gentle playing and a nice thumpy defined bass. To me it is missing something still. I don't see it in my rosewood 814 or cocobolo either. That is probably why I am cycling through so many guitars right now. I am hoping the 914ce cedar that is coming might fit the bill or the jumbo IR (815). I like the way my other cedar (Tak beater) is responds with such enthusiasm to even the most subtle fingerwork but it is missing the Taylor sparkle.

To answer the question on ES, you have seen how controversial it is. This would be the first thing I would cut, like was said earlier you have more option that way in the future. The downside is if you plan to sell at some point, the non ES version (and non-cutaway) are GENERALLY harder to sell and take more off the resale price than the initial price difference of the ES! If you are going to keep it, don't worry about that.

Last edited by delray; 06-02-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM

If you're not looking to plug in I would go with a revoiced K14c or 814c as others mentioned there are plenty of options for pickups that will be better in the future anyway. Maple bodied Taylors to me are better plugged in rather than for their straight acoustic tone of course there are exceptions.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 PM

Order a K14c
2008 Paragon Redwood/Koa MJ
Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 PM

Or you COULD wait for a GSkc to come out eventually hehehe but really, have you thought about the GS maple/sitka vs the GS IR/sitka? There are a couple at the local taylor dealer and MAN talk about major GAS!!! They are pretty much what your looking for just a bit fuller sounding, and no c although you can git um with "e".

A string here, a string there...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 PM

I have an 814CE, and it has a great sound. You should at least give the ES a try at the store before you decide. Plug it into a PA system at the store and set everything flat (on the PA), and just tweek the base and trebble (on the guitar) up just a little from the detent position, and play.

I have been going to an open mic night for several weeks now, just to observe other people in preparing to play my self (soon). I have seen & heared many many different guitars with different pickups in them, and many sound good. The last couple times i went, i let someone (who i knew) play my 814CE, and everyone who heared it raved about how great the sound was. It sounds closer to the guitars voice as your gonna get (IMO).

I know alot of people knock the ES system, and there are many great systems out there that can make a solid bodied electric sound acoustic, but no system can bring out the individual voice of your guitar like the ES system can (again... IMO).

As far as the 614 vs the 814, i think you should have them put some new strings on the 814 (as mentioned), and decide what sound you like best.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:29 PM

I tried out both a number of times and found the 814 to be quite versatile and with a better bass response - unplugged. Also liked the sound of rosewood better for that size body.

I now have an 814c short scale on order. Also for the reasons mentioned by Wade I decided not to have the "e" onboard.

Either way though, you'll end up with a fine instrument - good luck!

cheers,
nas
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 AM

I agree with Bob.

Guitars I miss:

2015 Taylor 320
2004 Taylor 814ce L-7 Cocobolo

2003 Taylor 414ce L-5 Rosewood
2003 Taylor 314ce L-1 Koa

2001 Taylor 410 LOTF Koa
1998 Taylor 310

Pictures of Guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion