The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Arrow SOLD: Santa Cruz FS Cedar/Rosewood Gorgeous!!

2013 Santa Cruz FS Cedar/Rosewood

SOLD

[SIZE="3"]Here goes another one...getting down to some serious business of streamlining my guitar selection. I've sold a number of my collection, traded a few and downsized in general. This guitar is one that someone will love. Tonally excellent, easy to play in a great quality build. I'll not go on and on about this guitar because there is a lot of info out there on these and they are really well respected.

Condition: Is excellent with some minor markings on the backstrip. My luthier says it is no big deal, but it is worth noting.

A beautiful guitar to hold and play. Tone is elegant.

Here's the story on this guitar:

The FS Model was designed in response to the renaissance of alternate tunings for complex fingerstyle arrangements. Tacoma and Windham Hill labels provided the showcase for these new and sophisticated steel string explorers who were attempting to express themselves on booming dreadnoughts. Will Ackerman, Robbie Basho, Daniel Hecht, Duck Baker and Michael Hedges all looked to SCGC for the teams’ expertise in achieving custom tone to make an instrument with the perfect voice for this new style. With input from the pros, the tiny SCGC team at the time, which included Jeff Traugott, Michael Hornick and Steve Palazzo, stepped up to the challenge with this concept: design and build a specialty fingerstyle instrument that responds with immediacy and volume to the minimized energy imparted from fingertips and the reduced tension of many open tunings. Give it a contemporary aesthetic of simple elegance and complexity of tone that the player can not outgrow. Twenty-five years and numerous awards and accolades later, The Fretboard Journal credits the Santa Cruz FS as the inspiration for the guitar designs of some of the brightest lights in contemporary lutherie and a strong influence on major manufacturers. The FS is a truly sophisticated instrument that will allow the best possible presentation of your fingerstyle technique.

Specifications:

Body:
Wood Type : Indian Rosewood
Back Stripe Brazilian Rosewood
Binding Brazilian Rosewood
Top:
Wood Type : Cedar
Rosette Blue Purfle Combo
Purfling Blue Purfle Combo
Bracing/Voicing Tapered
Other Cutaway
Neck/Peghead:
Solid, FS Style
Peghead Binding None
Overlay Material Brazilian Rosewood
Headstock Inlay SCGC Mini
Width at Nut 1-13/16″
Fingerboard:
Side Dots 2mm MOP
Inlay None
Width at 14th Fret 2-3/16
Binding Black
Scale Length 25.375
Finish:
Top Clear
Back & Sides Clear/Buffed
Neck Clear/Buffed
Tuners/gears:
510 Delta Gotoh Gold w/Ebony Button
Dimensions:
Body Length 20 1/16″
Body Depth 3.375-4.375
Number of Frets 20
Frets Clear of the Body 14
Lower Bout 15.875″
Waist 9″
Upper Bout 11.25″
Case:
Black with brown trim Ameritage Case

SOLD

These videos were shot in my office with no special enhancements, and in no special setting. If you listen close, i think you'll hear some of the special tonal nuances present with this guitar. It is really special.

Standard Tuning:

DADGAD:

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 03-14-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Default Just stunning

Really want to know what u r going to have left in your stash as the "keepers"
Old 01-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano_man View Post
Really want to know what u r going to have left in your stash as the "keepers"
Ha! Now THAT is a GREAT question!! Answer: I really don't know at this point. I had a very close family member pass away this past week that was part of the cash drain...make no mistake it was cash I was happy to spend and would do it over again, but the outflow certainly created some shortages. We'll get back on track, but selling some/downsizing has been long overdue anyway and has helped a lot. Most will see that I have sold and am selling mostly guitars that will bring the most cash, or that I think there is more interest in the market for.

So, at this point, I will continue to post another or two and hope to be done for a while. I think the guitars in my signature will stay...only time will tell.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Just wanted to add that these are amazing guitars. I'm not a fingerstyle player but if I was, and especially if I played in a lot of non-standard tunings, I'd have bought one of these years ago. The sustain is incredible and there is plenty of headroom (don't let the cedar top fool you).

Finally, don't be concerned about the 1 13/16" nut width. The nicely rounded neck is super comfortable and feels just like your typical 1 3/4 nut neck.

GLWS Woody.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 PM

Santa Cruz F and FS guitars are stunning--perfectly balanced tonally and so easy to play. The addition of Cedar makes this even more appealing.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-29-2017, 02:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile Drat!

It is easy for some to adjust to 1 13/16" at the Nut, but I have friends with fingers 1 1/2" longer than me. Waaaa

Mike is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable sellers here! Buy with total confidence. His guitars are primo!

Cheers,

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 AM

William Coulter used to play a Traugott for his performances but now plays a santa cruz FS which shows how good the latter can be.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Just wanted to add that these are amazing guitars. I'm not a fingerstyle player but if I was, and especially if I played in a lot of non-standard tunings, I'd have bought one of these years ago. The sustain is incredible and there is plenty of headroom (don't let the cedar top fool you).

Finally, don't be concerned about the 1 13/16" nut width. The nicely rounded neck is super comfortable and feels just like your typical 1 3/4 nut neck.

GLWS Woody.

Thank you I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
It is easy for some to adjust to 1 13/16" at the Nut, but I have friends with fingers 1 1/2" longer than me. Waaaa

Mike is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable sellers here! Buy with total confidence. His guitars are primo!

Cheers,

Paul
Paul, I can honestly say that I was once afraid of 1 13/16 nuts and absolutely refused to buy a guitar that had one. I do not have long fingers...I am 5'9" tall and I think fingers proportionate to my height. For some people with short fingers (like you ha!) 1 13/16 is a bit more width. If you wrap your thumb over the top of the guitar as some do (I don't), it is a bit more width... 1/16 of an inch more ...which again for some can be "too much".

I currently have an R Taylor with a 1 13/16 nut, as well as this Santa Cruz. I've found that in both cases, the neck carves of these guitars are such that I have absolutely no trouble playing them, and in fact I really don't notice a difference. I think many people are just like me and have avoided guitars for the wrong reason. This is a wonderful instrument and everything you've heard about these it true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
William Coulter used to play a Traugott for his performances but now plays a santa cruz FS which shows how good the latter can be.
For those who con't know, Traugott is now on his own and asks in excess of $20K for many of his guitars.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks to the many of you who have reached out to me by email or pm. I knew this would be a popular guitar, but I really think I underestimated the interest a bit. The guitar is still for sale, but there are a number of people contemplating it.

I am open to cash offers, so if you are one of those fence sitters, reach out to me. Reasonable cash offers carry weight with me. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Thanks to the many of you who have reached out to me by email or pm. I knew this would be a popular guitar, but I really think I underestimated the interest a bit. The guitar is still for sale, but there are a number of people contemplating it.

I am open to cash offers, so if you are one of those fence sitters, reach out to me. Reasonable cash offers carry weight with me. Thanks!

Here's a closer look at a few aspects of this guitar:

I love the coloration of this wood

Old 01-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Wink

What is the saddle spacing?
Steve
Old 01-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
What is the saddle spacing?
Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for asking...and just when I thought I had put more details that I thought I needed in the ad, one of the most asked questions is missing...how did I miss that?? .

But, here's the answer: my handy dandy tape measure says it is 2 3/16

Last edited by invguy921; 02-01-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Hey Steve, thanks for asking...and just when I thought I had put more details that I thought I needed in the ad, one of the most asked questions is missing...how did I miss that?? .

But, here's the answer: my handy dandy tape measure says it is 2 1/4
You might want to double check this and/or call SCGC with the serial #. AFAIK, standard specs for the FS are 1 13/16 nut and 2 3/16" string spacing, unless it is a custom.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Here are a couple of videos. A number of people have asked to hear this guitar, so for all of you ...here you go! The two videos here will allow you to listen to it in Standard Tuning and in DADGAD.

These videos were shot in my office with no special enhancements, and in no special settings, effect, etc. etc.. If you listen close, I think that despite the less than perfect environment, you'll hear some of the special tonal nuances present with this guitar. It is tonally really special...plays like "butta"

Standard Tuning:

DADGAD:

Last edited by invguy921; 02-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Smile Nice playing

Nice playing, and lovely sound especially for a phone vid!

Best on the sale, I know it is close...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars