The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Looking fantastic!
I concur Ryan. After studying it a little longer I noticed that his rectangle fretmarkers are outlined using matchsticks (that's not maple). The natural ebony streaks on the fretboard and headstalk have a smoke-like appearance that ties in everything really nice. I'm salivating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That back is going to explode with finish
Thanks Tom. Joel's comment when he sent me the pictures was that he couldn't wait to see it with finish on it. Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Beautiful tones and contour, one can almost hear the bass already!
That's the other cool feeling I get when I look at it. This thing's gonna be a baritone!

Again, I couldn't be happier. Other than the matchstick theme and basic wood choices, I left most everything else to Joel, and upon seeing the "in the nude" pics, I'm just thrilled of the outcome. this thing is smokin'. You rock Joel!!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:50 AM

Very nice! Loving the fret markers especially

EDIT: I noticed you went with the 13 fret. Any particular reason as to why?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Very nice! Loving the fret markers especially

EDIT: I noticed you went with the 13 fret. Any particular reason as to why?
Thanks Marcus!

That is a question I had when doing research about baritones. Again, my taste in guitars far outshine my abilities, so I have little insight on the more technical aspects of guitar building including scale lengths and frets (and just about everything else).

I had read previous threads here on the AGF regarding scale length, and learned a lot from the likes of Wade Hampton and others forum contributors. Everything I read stated that baritones project better if they have a 28" scale or more. However, nobody talked about the number of frets. Joel had suggested a 27.5" scale. When I asked him about it, he told me that scale length AND the number of frets need to be looked at together. For one, a 13 fret baritone would be easier to play, but most importantly, the number of frets dictate where the bridge will be located. His reasoning is that with 13 frets, the bridge will be located more in the center of the lower bout, thus creating more symmetry. His braces are also built with symmetry in mind, so again, with his reasoning, the more symmetrical, the more the top can vibrate and the more the guitar will project.

The scale length and fret count might not work for some, but because I will only be playing this guitar alone at my home, I am not worried about having to compete for volume with other instruments. However, something tells me that it's gonna have all the rumble and projection that I'm looking for anyway. This is simply a "trust your luthier" moment, and I have no reason not to trust Joel.

Last edited by nootis; 04-24-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Thanks Marcus!

That is a question I had when doing research about baritones. Again, my taste in guitars far outshine my abilities, so I have little insight on the more technical aspects of guitar building including scale lengths and frets (and just about everything else).

I had read previous threads here on the AGF regarding scale length, and learned a lot from the likes of Wade Hampton and others forum contributors. Everything I read stated that baritones project better if they have a 28" scale or more. However, nobody talked about the number of frets. Joel had suggested a 27.5" scale. When I asked him about it, he told me that scale length AND the number of frets need to be looked at together. For one, a 13 fret baritone would be easier to play, but most importantly, the number of frets dictate where the bridge will be located. His reasoning is that with 13 frets, the bridge will be located more in the center of the lower bout, thus creating more symmetry. His braces are also built with symmetry in mind, so again, with his reasoning, the more symmetrical, the more the top can vibrate and the more the guitar will project.

The scale length and fret count might not work for some, but because I will only be playing this guitar alone at my home, I am not worried about having to compete for volume with other instruments. However, something tells me that it's gonna have all the rumble and projection that I'm looking for anyway. This is simply a "trust your luthier" moment, and I have no reason not to trust Joel.
I'm sure the trust is strong, given that this is your 4th(?) Stehr

Hmmm so does that effectively mean that if it were a 14 fretter with the frets equally spaced as they were now, it would have a scale length of ~28"? Or is the 13 fretter a result of shortening the distance between frets by cutting off the "first fret"?

A baritone is definitely in my future so a little research now wouldn't hurt the scale length scares me as I do not have the biggest hands. A standard scale instrument already feels like a stretch haha

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I'm sure the trust is strong, given that this is your 4th(?) Stehr

Hmmm so does that effectively mean that if it were a 14 fretter with the frets equally spaced as they were now, it would have a scale length of ~28"? Or is the 13 fretter a result of shortening the distance between frets by cutting off the "first fret"?

A baritone is definitely in my future so a little research now wouldn't hurt the scale length scares me as I do not have the biggest hands. A standard scale instrument already feels like a stretch haha
Yes the Force is strong between Joel and I. This is my second commission from him (or from anyone), and most likely the other two I bought used will be listed in the classifieds sometime later this year. That's not to say they aren't great guitars, but my stable has become Stehr heavy. Plus I have a commission coming from Michael Bashkin later this year (or early next). Not to mention there are other luthiers that I'd like to commission from in the coming years. For me, commissions have become a GAS epidemic! As you know, it's super cool to be part of the build process, and I find that I have more attachment to the guitar as a result. That is not to say that you can't get lucky from buying a guitar already built... my Kinnaird will never be for sale.

I think that if it were a 14 fretter, the scale would still be 27.5", but the bridge location would be further back towards the lower bout (I think). Again, the 13 frets will most definitely make it easier to play. I'd say I have normal hands for a 5'10" person, but a 14 fret baritone will no doubt have that extra little stretch compared to a 13 fret. All around, I think it will work well for me. I tried to do as much research as possible, but to be honest, there really wasn't much information to be found. In the end, I decided to just listen to Joel.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

It's been a quiet from me lately. Joel sent me an update about 2 weeks ago, but I've been super swamped with life, that I haven't posted the update. It should be coming back from the finisher very soon, however I kind of put a monkey wrench in things a bit. Normally Joel would use Gotoh tuners, but for some reason I had an itch to buck the trend and wanted some Alessi's. Joel was able to somehow brush up on his Italian translation, and we are awaiting some tuners from the man himself. It might be a few extra weeks of waiting, but I think it will be worth it. We are also awaiting some custom bridge pins, but I think we'll wait on the Alessi's a little longer. I'm obviously ok with it all. Here are some pictures of it being finished....

Together we decided that the neck is going to end up with a satin finish.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 PM

It seems to become a gorgeous baritone and I'm sure, she will sound even better than "she" looks... congrats to that beauty with a really cool rosette...
and Alessis are really great tuners, looking and working really superb! I've got some on my Larkin Guitars and I relish them every time when I have a look to them and if I use them
Old 05-24-2016, 06:35 AM

Wow, that is really looking fantastic!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
That is not to say that you can't get lucky from buying a guitar already built... my Kinnaird will never be for sale.

I think that if it were a 14 fretter, the scale would still be 27.5", but the bridge location would be further back towards the lower bout (I think).
I'm glad that CS has found a loving (and humidified) home.

You're right about it being the same scale length, but the bridge would move north on a 14 fretter (longer neck). A 12 fretter moves the bridge back - some would say to a sweeter spot.

That is a killer looking guitar! Of course Joel makes 'em purty. Looks like it's getting close now.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

It'll be well worth the wait--looking awesome!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your kind words LaFaro, Tom and Nemoman. You too Ryan, and thanks for the clarification regarding the bridge placement. In hind sight, it makes perfect sense!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Joel's work just has a flow to it that is so elegant. This is coming along beautifully and that back wood has such gorgeous figuring. So nice to see this coming along!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Joel's work just has a flow to it that is so elegant. This is coming along beautifully and that back wood has such gorgeous figuring. So nice to see this coming along!
I agree Mike, thanks for chiming in. As you know, you started a trend with Joel by sourcing a guy to make bridge pins (his name escapes me at the moment). I had him do the same on my SJ. We were going to do it for this build as well using purple heart and ebony for the pins. However it recently donned on Joel that he can make the bridge pins himself using his small CNC machine. I'm stoked because Joel ended up using the camatillo pieces left over from the bevels, so even though purple heart was close, it's not the same. Here are the results...

They've turned out so well that Joel is contemplating about adding them as an option on his website.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Well it's been 8 months since my last post. The guitar has been back at Joel's since June, but the aforementioned tuners never came to fruition. However that is not the reason why it's taken this long. Based off of a few PM's, I assume most of you that have been following this thread have been wondering what has happened to this guitar. The good news is that nothing happened to the guitar, for it's been patiently waiting to sing. I won't get into detail, but Joel fell on some hard times and I have been patiently waiting for him to get himself into a new home while setting up his new shop. While he still is in the midst of setting up his new shop, he is well on his way to making his unique creations once again!

To get back to the tuners...in the end, I was going to capitulate on the Gotoh tuners, but for some reason I have been fixated on open back tuners (I had told Joel that I have been going through an open tuner mid-life crisis!). I probably could have pursued the Alessi's more diligently, but after doing a lot of research, I decided on trying out Schertler tuners. The guitar is now strung up and should hopefully be on its way to me in the near future.

Here are some of the guitar specs:
-Baritone, 27.5” scale
-Indonesian rosewood (Jacaranda) back and sides
-Adirondack spruce top
-Camatillo rosewood bindings, arm and rib bevels
-African ebony fretboard and headplate
-Brazilian Rosewood bridge
-Custom ebony bridge pins with camatillo rosewood dots
-Bound side sound port
-Matchstick rosette and fret marker inlays.

So without further ado, here is a batch of photos Joel sent me...

Thanks for looking!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, nootis, on your latest Stehr!

Saw these pics on FB yesterday and was drooling over them there.

Really a beautiful creation--love the fretboard markers!

Wow!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop