The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Down to One Flattop Guitar

Well, I'm down to one flattop guitar (and one acoustic archtop). The D-18 has been sold and I've hung onto my spruce/cherry plywood Art & Lutherie Legacy as it is a more pragmatic instrument for me at present.

Perhaps something new will come along that takes my fancy - but I'm not activity looking. The A&L Legacy and my Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop cover my gigs and everything else I'm doing just fine.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:42 AM

Congratulations! Is the spell broken?
Old 04-25-2024, 06:42 AM

I only had my 2003 J-45 Rosewood/Ebony for well over a decade. I was still gigging electrics at the time some. I added a J-15 a few years back to take (fret wear) pressure off the J-45, but still only have 2.

Well, and a roundneck and a mandolin and a banjo.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-25-2024, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
Congratulations! Is the spell broken?
My wife was more upset about the D-18 going than I was! But I could get a $250 Yamaha dread that would sonically sit in the same ballpark if I needed to. She thinks that my A&L Legacy is too loud (actually is does cut through more than the D-18) and the archtop is too bold (which it is - but I love it!).

I could put light strings on the A&L Legacy, perhaps silk and steel, and she would love it (it has monel 13s on it). So no need to look for a new guitar yet - just perhaps try out some new strings.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 AM

Welcome to the AGMC (Acoustic Guitar Monogamous Club). Hope you got a good price for your D-18.

I don’t really miss my old guitars that much. Selling was the right decision as it provided a substantial sum towards a mortgage deposit. A few years down the line I’ll probably go back to two, but there’s no urgency with this. My 000-15m serves my needs and wants efficiently.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Jumppin' Jack Flash -----------no gas gas gas ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-25-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Jumppin' Jack Flash -----------no gas gas gas ?

Lots of other things to spend the money on. I pretty much wrecked my skis last week backcountry skiing in the Lofoten Islands!

Old 04-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Robin! That's quite the feat. You have some work do if you want to stay a member of the forum!

I stopped updating my sig because I was buying and selling so many. I still am selling several locally. I guess I've become one of those players that likes to try them out for a bit and then let them go. Still waiting for "the one" acoustic.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Congrats Robin! That's quite the feat. You have some work do if you want to stay a member of the forum!

I stopped updating my sig because I was buying and selling so many. I still am selling several locally. I guess I've become one of those players that likes to try them out for a bit and then let them go. Still waiting for "the one" acoustic.
I think that if I lived in the USA then I'd probably be buying and selling far more. But both buying and selling are quite difficult from rural Wales. So I sort have to be bit more pragmatic, not out of choice!!! I definitely don't own "the one" just "a one" that's good enough for the moment.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Kudos if owning 1 guitar makes you happy....but that guitar looks pretty lonely to me
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-25-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Robin, I respect you and your music a lot, but, remember, this is an acoustic guitar forum ! not sure it is documented but we should each have at least a dozen!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0121 (3).jpg (67.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I can appreciate owning things for a while to experience them and get a feel for what they do, even if you then pare down to what you really need. Conversely I'm up to three steel string flat top guitars right now, which I think is a high point for me. Though one came from a family member, and would only go to another family member or close friend who could use it.
I had some mixed feelings parting with my archtop, but although I had fun playing it for a few years and learned some things from that, it's not the optimal instrument for most of what I play, and I only have the space and finances for so many good instruments. (And for me there's the mandolin, cittern, tenor banjo, electric bass and double bass that aren't going anywhere either...)
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-25-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Well, I'm down to one flattop guitar (and one acoustic archtop).
When I reduced my collection to one guitar in 2022, it was a breath of fresh air. I felt like a kid again!

I may have another one on the way.

Tommy
Old 04-25-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Lots of other things to spend the money on. I pretty much wrecked my skis last week backcountry skiing in the Lofoten Islands!
As long as you don't wreck your knees!

Tommy
Old 04-25-2024, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Robin, I respect you and your music a lot, but, remember, this is an acoustic guitar forum ! not sure it is documented but we should each have at least a dozen!
That's a fine collection! But the Eastman archtop and Waterloo look out of place. I think that you should move those on!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion