The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:35 AM

Default The link between Taylor and Christianity

Something I always wanted to ask: what's the reason for the correlation between active Christians and Taylor guitars? I know that a statistically significant part of you play in church (something that here in the Netherlands hardly happens by the way, we're still in the organ-era) and then there is good old Doyle who also plays Taylor, etc. Is this simply coincidence?

(And now that I mention it - I also wear a golden chain with a cross around my neck - not very common at all up here in the North of Europe ).
Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM

Christians like good stuff too!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Winning!

I'm not sure if there's a direct link as such.....

though it's possibly a co-incidence as several big artists & worship leaders use Taylors, the word gets around and spreads through that way. I mean personally I came into contact with Taylor guitars via Hillsong as a few of them use it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Bob himself is a Christian, and if he is, who knows, maybe Christians like to invest in someone with a similar vision/goal in life because his/her values are the same(?).

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 AM

It's because all the atheists play Martins and they want to be different?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM

Don't think there is a statistically significant amount of Christian bands that pick up Taylors. If you go to this site right here http://www.taylorguitars.com/artists/awp/recording.html you will see that the proportion of exclusive Christian bands to secular bands is very small. Taylors are just fine guitars and secular artists enjoy them as much as Christian artists .

I think this forum also has a very warm and welcoming group of active members who also happen to embrace simple Christian values such as working out confrontations (almost no flaming which is pretty much unheard of in a forum), being nice, helpful and caring. Some are not necessarily christians but good fellows. And alot of our members who are Christians are not shy to come out and talk about being worship servants/leaders. Its great!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM

Bob Taylor is a Christian and I think a lot of fellow Christians buy his guitars to support him. I play for my church and I bought a Taylor because I didn't know much about guitars at the time and one of my friends had one at the time. They're great guitars but I think they are overhyped in the Christian church (at least where I'm from).

Intervarsity
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
It's because all the atheists play Martins and they want to be different?
Our worship leader plays a Martin.......I had better check into this guy...THANKS FOR THE TIP
Old 05-10-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackg20
Bob Taylor is a Christian and I think a lot of fellow Christians buy his guitars to support him. I play for my church and I bought a Taylor because I didn't know much about guitars at the time and one of my friends had one at the time. They're great guitars but I think they are overhyped in the Christian church (at least where I'm from).
I know that I enjoy supporting fellow Christians especially when it comes to building instruments or selling instruments. I wasn't sure if Bob Taylor was Christian or not so I couldn't comment but I can understand now why Christian bands would want to support Taylors .
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Winning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1861navycolt
Our worship leader plays a Martin.......I had better check into this guy...THANKS FOR THE TIP
Funny that, Reuben Morgan plays a Martin also

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Links are where you see them. I've noticed a lot of people playing Taylors on here who say that's why they do... however, there are lots of people to whom it makes no difference (me included, despite my personal beliefs), and I've never seen any marketing by Taylor to this effect. Well, except the Maranatha series, but there was also the Hot Rod, Grey Whales and Cujo, among others.

So if it makes a difference to you, more power to you. I personally want whatever guitar helps me express the best way possible, be it Taylor, some other brand, expressing spiritually or not.

As a side note, please be careful that this does not turn into a religious discussion. Thanks!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Last edited by wthurman; 05-10-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 AM

I think its just that Taylors make great stage guitars... and are very suitable for church use where Christian songs are pretty much dominated by keys and acoustic guitars...

2006 514ce
1998 Yamaha APX 6A
Old 05-10-2006, 02:55 AM

I don't want to go against you, but we also can talk about fashion...

You know, when you see and hear about something everywhere, maybe you happen to follow the trend, and in the end you probably ask yourself "why?"... Or probably not, this doesn't matter.

I lead worship in my church, but I discovered that Bob is a Christian and the Taylor/Christian players connection AFTER I got my 414-CE, reading just on this Forum.

I got my Taylor without thinking about the spiritual link with the builder: It was just good for me, and still is!

BTW it's good to hear that many worship leaders use Taylors: It makes you feel being in good company.

Regards.

P.S.
Oh, and God is not about religion, He is all about relationship.

2006 Taylor GSRS w/ES
2005 Taylor NS32-CE
1998 Baby Taylor
2006 Martin 000-ECHF Bellezza Bianca
2004 Martin 000-28VS
2006 Martin HD-28LSV Adi Top
2006 Martin LX Realtree HD
2005 Gibson Hound Dog Dobro
2005 Gibson Hummingbird Artist
2003 Fender AmSe Stratocaster
2005 Fender AmSe Telecaster
2009 Fender Am. Std. Limited Edition Stratocaster
Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 AM

I'm a Godless secular Buddhist and I love my Taylor.

Seriously, I think it has more to do with people who have a gig every week in a fairly large venue with an ensemble of players, and the fact that so many Taylors come to the store with good plug and play electronics.

I'm always amused, though, whenever anyone asks "what's the best guitar for a worship leader?" like the guitar knows the lyric content of your songs. "What's the best guitar for plugging into a PA and playing with a drumkit a keyboard, an electric guitar, bass and three singers?" would be a much more pertinent question. And I always snicker a bit, knowing the answer they're getting would also be a great answer to "What would be the best guitar for playing the devil's music in a noisy bar?"

Tim
Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

*sigh*....

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion