The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Whatever Happened to Pendulum?

Nerdy question, but I was just talking about Pendulum today. It seems that many artists used these powerful and I would say "luxurious" acoustic preamps back in the 80s and 90s when rack gear was at its height and now I never hear of them. Their website looks like it was last updated in 96. Are they still in existence? Does anyone still use these in a live setting?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

Last edited by MrErikJ; 10-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Nerdy answer.

Pendulum lives.

I imagine he doesn't change the look of his website because he makes timeless gear that doesn't need churning (or updating, if you prefer) and doesn't need any flash to move units, but the sites obviously been updated since the addition of 500 series units. I have an OCL/2 compressor in my studio I sent to Gregg for a check up last summer and used the SPS1 back when I played live regularly on large stages in the '00s. I'd be in heaven for an ES8 and PL2. All of his products are amazing studio tools, are built like tanks and have good resale value. I think you can infer the SPS1's are still being used live from the rarity of them being for sale used and the kinds of money they do bring used when they are available. The SPS1s also make great studio preamps.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Nerdy answer.

Pendulum lives.

I imagine he doesn't change the look of his website because he makes timeless gear that doesn't need churning (or updating, if you prefer) and doesn't need any flash to move units, but the sites obviously been updated since the addition of 500 series units. I have an OCL/2 compressor in my studio I sent to Gregg for a check up last summer and used the SPS1 back when I played live regularly on large stages in the '00s. I'd be in heaven for an ES8 and PL2. All of his products are amazing studio tools, are built like tanks and have good resale value. I think you can infer the SPS1's are still being used live from the rarity of them being for sale used and the kinds of money they do bring used when they are available. The SPS1s also make great studio preamps.
Good to hear! I think, for most modern players, the SPS1 is more preamp than they need live but it's undoubtedly a cool system. I especially like the phantom powered endpin preamp, which is great for those old-school passive piezos. I think most players are saving the rack gear for the studio these days, and I think ultimately, that's probably the better place for them. But it's cool to hear there are still some SPS1s on-stage, making the most obsessive tone tweakers happy.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 10-20-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Nerdy question, but I was just talking about Pendulum today. It seems that many artists used these powerful and I would say "luxurious" acoustic preamps back in the 80s and 90s when rack gear was at its height and now I never hear of them. Their website looks like it was last updated in 96. Are they still in existence? Does anyone still use these in a live setting?
Good to see another baggs lb6 user , I also use them in 3 of my guitars , love this pickup. Sorry not about this thread
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingeryoga View Post
Good to see another baggs lb6 user , I also use them in 3 of my guitars , love this pickup. Sorry not about this thread
Ha ha, that's ok. The LB6 (in my humble opinion) is the best sounding saddle-style (UST isn't really accurate) pickup I've heard. With the right preamp and or mic blend, it's a really unbeatable live tone.

That said, I see you blend yours with mics? I have a Baggs MixPro and have been considering doing the same. Any thoughts or advice? I'm torn between trying that or just using my PZ Deluxe and Body Rez for simplicity's sake (it sounds really nice) or maybe getting the Boss AD 10 as that looks like a super unit.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification