The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks, I am fortunate to have a great view, we have 35 acres and actually I do have mow about about 12 of the 17.5 acres the house sits on, the other 17.5 is in open space and left natural .

But it is fairly quick with this 37 HP Kabota

and this 6 ft brush hog/mower on the back

I thought that maybe the climate renders the grass short. At least you have the gear to deal with it. And here I thought I had enough to clear at 1 acre (+ 1-1/2 wooded) with an 18hp JD garden tractor. I’m sure with your environment it’s a labor of love. If you’re anything like me, some of my best ideas (including for songs, incl my own) come while I’m cutting the grass, then try and sort it out once I come in and clean up.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

View from our front pasture looking south
And not a traffic light in sight.

I can almost hear John Denver singing in the background.......

Can't wait to retire and get away from the cities....

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I thought that maybe the climate renders the grass short. At least you have the gear to deal with it. And here I thought I had enough to clear at 1 acre (+ 1-1/2 wooded) with an 18hp JD garden tractor. I’m sure with your environment it’s a labor of love. If you’re anything like me, some of my best ideas (including for songs, incl my own) come while I’m cutting the grass, then try and sort it out once I come in and clean up.
It does get pretty dry by September and usually has not grown much from then until spring. But it will grow waist high by late July if not cut. I usually only have to cut twice once late June and again in late August.
There is certainly is a certain relaxing element to just mowing along .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-15-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Possibly a rabid coyote since they are generally nocturnal????

Erratic or Lethargic Behavior
If you observe a coyote that is stumbling or displaying other erratic behavior, such as colliding with objects or eating atypical things, it should be avoided and reported. At the other extreme, lethargic or paralyzed behavior also can be a sign of rabies.
This was my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Trying to join a pack sounds about right but the problem is you don't know where the coyote thinks they should stand within that pack. 50-50 this will end badly for a dog or the coyote.
Not sure what you are saying here, but if it comes down to an altercation, I'd say the odds favor the coyote greatly.

Re lone coyote behavior. Coyotes are known to use a lone coyote to lure dogs away from their master. They'll romp and play with the dog gradually moving further and further away until the pack can then rush in and kill the dog. Conversely coyotes can sometimes play the innocent observer, getting closer and closer until some sort of minimum space thing happens. Then the coyote can "snap" and easily rush in to attack.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post

Not sure what you are saying here, but if it comes down to an altercation, I'd say the odds favor the coyote greatly.
Well, I usually carry a .41 Magnum so unless the coyote is packing a .42, he's at great disadvantage.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Coyotes are known to use a lone coyote to lure dogs away from their master.
They'll romp and play with the dog gradually moving further and further away until the pack can then rush in and kill the dog.
But they wouldn't do that if the puppy is really cute.
Would they?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Well, I usually carry a .41 Magnum so unless the coyote is packing a .42, he's at great disadvantage.
Well, I was talking about if the yote and dog were mixing it up. If it got to that point, your .41 mag or a .500 Casul are useless. The action would be so fast and furious that you'd as likely shoot your dog, or maybe both. You couldn't use your gun for fear of hitting your dog. Advantage...yote.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Well, I was talking about if the yote and dog were mixing it up. If it got to that point, your .41 mag or a .500 Casul are useless. The action would be so fast and furious that you'd as likely shoot your dog, or maybe both. You couldn't use your gun for fear of hitting your dog. Advantage...yote.
I wouldn't be waiting for them to mix it up.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
It just seems to want to get close and who knows but seems like perhaps wants to join our pack (sounds silly I know).
Not at all......animal's instincts never cease to amaze me. If it's on it's own and it sees your wife being kind to the dogs - makes perfect sense to me.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Oh ya the puppy is the concern and I could not agree more, we are indeed ones encroaching on their territory. I love when wild animals come into my yard , it is very life affirming.
My pard & I have lived out on the sticks for almost 30 years with no dog, and have had plenty of friendly wild critters. Most of the time it hasn't ended well for either of us... We still deal with them in the Grizzly Adams manor.....I think the coyote is looking for lunch.....

Don
Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 PM

I live in a very big city that has coyotes, and there is a pack that lives behind our firehouse three blocks away. They only come out at night, and people have snapped photos only from a distance.

Lately there's been a rash of dead small animals in our neighborhood: birds (including a hawk), cats, possum, squirrels & rabbits. (One of the squirrels had its tail completely severed and found two feet from its body, so that had to be the work of a very disturbed sociopath and if not caught, future serial killer. All the other animals appear uninjured, just dead). We found out that some residents were tired of rats getting into their garages from the alleys and chewing on their cars' wires...and being dissatisfied with the extent of baiting done by the city's Streets & Sanitation dep't., have been putting out their own poisoned bait. Some of them have been sprinkling bait pellets indiscriminately on their property, even on the sidewalk "parkways" (grassy strips between sidewalk & curb in which trees are planted by the city), which explains all the dead bunnies--which nibble only on plants and don't go into garages. (The bunnies are why we haven't had to mow the back yard--they've been doing it for us). The city puts the pellets in special black boxes in the alleys (and only the alleys), and only mice & rats can get inside.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
It does get pretty dry by September and usually does has not grown much from then until spring. But it will grow waist high by late July if not cut. I usually only have to cut twice once late June and again in late August.
There is certainly is a certain relaxing element to just mowing along .
Well, that’s not so bad at all. I have to cut once a week from early May until end of October. Plus, I have to blow leaves 3-4 times through October. I know you also plowing snow. I used to snowblow my 750’ private road with my tractor blower attachment, but a bunch of years ago I contracted a guy with a plow.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I said because of time frame and behavior rabies is not the issue

Quote:
, but if it comes down to an altercation, I'd say the odds favor the coyote greatly.
Not really that would be very dependant on far too many variables to be definitive . While it is true that coyotes can and sometimes do kill small dog it is also true that bigger can and have killed coyotes or sent them bloodied and hightailing it (which i have seen)

Quote:
Re lone coyote behavior. Coyotes are known to use a lone coyote to lure dogs away from their master. They'll romp and play with the dog gradually moving further and further away until the pack can then rush in and kill the dog. Conversely coyotes can sometimes play the innocent observer, getting closer and closer until some sort of minimum space thing happens. Then the coyote can "snap" and easily rush in to attack.
All true except that is not what is happening in this situation there is no pack lurking in the shadows because there are no shadows. This is wide open country and the first thing my wife looked for and both her and I look for every time since, are other coyote's and they are not around.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Well, that’s not so bad at all. I have to cut once a week from early May until end of October. Plus, I have to blow leaves 3-4 times through October. I know you also plowing snow. I used to snowblow my 750’ private road with my tractor blower attachment, but a bunch of years ago I contracted a guy with a plow.
Yep 6 ft snowblower

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
My pard & I have lived out on the sticks for almost 30 years with no dog, and have had plenty of friendly wild critters. Most of the time it hasn't ended well for either of us... We still deal with them in the Grizzly Adams manor.....I think the coyote is looking for lunch.....

Don
While a quick lunch was one of our first thoughts and is possible. Over all and objectively the abundance of cottontails birds and field mice etc. would seem to make risking injury by attacking a human and dog bigger than itself just to try to get at a puppy while possible would not be prototypical behavior.

I guess I am confused I would think "having plenty of friendly wild critters " and "most of the it hasn't ended well" would seem to be a contradiction in terms. if it ended bad for you then I would suggest the critter was less than friendly . If it ended bad for them then you were defending yourself or you were not friendly towards them.
And what is a Grizzle Adams manor ?

Now make no mistake I am a total animal lover. BUT after a very successful 30 year hunting career in the wilderness of Wyoming I am buy no means some "starry eyed" animal lover.
I have been charged by 3 moose, one bull and two cows with calves , one Bison and a Blacktail buck deer. I have also been stalked by a Mt lion. I would not cast any of those encounters as friendly . and when hinting I would not cast my attitude as friendly.

BUT
Having had numerous friendly or neutral wild animal experiences and it has end just fine for both the critters and us including encounters with, Black Bear, Mountain Lion , Coyote (so far) Fox , Martin, Moose, Antelope, Deer, and Elk and Sharks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic