The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 AM

Default That Smell - Lexington Lab Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaGQPYIEEk
Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 AM

One of my top five Skynard Songs. I just closed my eyes and listened.
Excellent, just excellent!

These are my favs' and in no particular order:
That Smell
Gimme' Back My Bullets
Saturday Night Special
Gimme Three Steps
Call Me the Breeze

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Guest4562

Lotta work went into that one. Nice job!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice rendering of the song, Dale. I see you doing the pedal board stretch!

And now my historical memories: by the time that this song and the album containing it, Street Survivors, were released on October 17, 1977 I had been listening to them and following their careers four years. As a latent rock n' roller living in the South I considered them to be the second generation of trail blazers - very few in the South made it in the biz. I had played their hits in cover bands and had begun to really respect the amount of discipline it took to do their thing. This song was written by Ronnie Van Zant as he began to dry out from all the boozing and drugs and became alarmed by the realization that his band buddies were still living a very fast and dangerous life and might not survive it. Three days after it was released, at 6:52pm cst on October the 20th, the band's Convair CV-240 ran out of fuel in flight and crashed into a wooded swamp near Gillsburg, Mississippi.

The times and technology being what they were (we had no 24-hour news cycle) and the area being as remote as it was, word didn't get out to the nation until the next morning. The next morning, 470 miles away at my remote college in Georgia, I got up and went to breakfast, blissfully unaware of what had happened. After breakfast as I prepared for classes I switched on the radio to a rock station and immediately heard the headline, though there were nearly no details available.

I immediately commenced my own little vigil, cutting classes, sitting by the window of my mountaintop dorm room with the radio, waiting for word, and praying for the band member's safety. Of course, as the day rolled on the terrible and good news eventually came out to the country: three members of the band as well as three crew members were killed and all twenty survivors were badly injured.

In probably the only funny anecdote to come out of the situation, drummer Artimus Pyle describes being injured (several broken ribs, separated chest cartilage, cuts, and lacerations) but crawling out of the swamp and up to a farmer's house to get help. Upon arrival he was accidentally shot by the farmer who was attempting to fire a warning shot over his head. Artimus said he couldn't blame the guy - a long-haired bloody apparition crawled out of the swamp and advance upon him. Once Artimus' intentions were known the farmer rendered aid.

Street Survivors had hit the stands with a picture of the band members facing the camera with tongues of fire coming out of their heads. All copies still in the stores were quickly recalled by MCA and the album was reissued with a new, milder cover. Of the seven band members on the album cover only two survive today. "That Smell," indeed.

And that's the way it was, Oct. 20-21, 1977. That will be forty years ago next Friday-Saturday.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 AM

gentlemen...thanks SO much for the listen and kind posts!

Bob - such a great post -i read it twice initially. I was born in 1961 and these tunes where coming out in the 'sweet spot' of my musical journey. They remain special and each listen reminds me of the impact they really had on me. Your post was a treasure for me to read.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
gentlemen...thanks SO much for the listen and kind posts!

Bob - such a great post -i read it twice initially. I was born in 1961 and these tunes where coming out in the 'sweet spot' of my musical journey. They remain special and each listen reminds me of the impact they really had on me. Your post was a treasure for me to read.
+1 Dale...you know my story growing up in Skynyrd country and these gentlemen had a big influence on me. Your faithful rendition is flawless as I know this song inside out. Every sqwauk -n- pinch harmonic, the tone and vox all very well done. The fine ladies doing back up are right on; you see one of LS back up singers ended up fronting one of the bands I played in as well...you all did another jam up performance, please send my props on brother!

eric
Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 AM

hey Eric! This is another post that sure means a lot and i greatly appreciate. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and connections with not only the genre but LS as well. Coming from you the feedback is extremely appreciated!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM

One of my favorite songs by them.
https://youtu.be/5M4bC27ULvk
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12 AM

really appreciate you checking this out and thanks for the link...that couldn't have been very far removed from them laying down the tune in the studio.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Another great cover, Dale. One of my favourites of theres, direct, to the point. And I had forgotten how much I loved the lead guitar in their songs.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:22 PM

hello Rick..thanks for being willing to share such music with us and i hope all is good your way!

your friend,
dale
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 PM

Dale, I listen to most all of your Youtube videos (actually subscribed), and being a Jax native of course I did this one as well. Also, being in many bar bands over the years, I too have played so many songs from the Skynrd catalog. Over time, so many bar bands butcher those songs, that a lot of people don't stop to listen to all of the intricacies those guys actually played in their arrangements and kind of dismiss them. As usual, you guys and gals nailed it. Honestly, I think you guys do a better cover than the current touring LS incarnation. You got the tone, the phrasing. Good stuff.
Bob, on the point of Artimus being shot, that story depends on which account of Artimus you find, it has varied. And the band mates as well, for that matter.
A friend of mine recorded on a few Skynrd albums, including Street Survivors. Barry Lee Harwood played dobro on the track "Honky Tonk Night Time Man" on this album. More to the story, of course there always is. He had done sessions with them before, when they eventually asked him about joining the band. He refused them, as at the time he was in a European tour with Melanie Safka (she was actually a pretty big name overseas) and was committed for at least 6 months. So they hired Steve Gaines instead, and of course the rest is history. Later, Barry Lee would play with Allen Collins in the Allen Collins Band, and again as a member of The Rossington Collins Band. There are so many musicians around Jax with ties and stories to Skynyrd.
I recorded with Barry Lee on his solo project a few years ago. I don't play around Jax much since I now live in the Charlotte area, but I will be back in Jville to do a show in December, Barry Lee will be one of my guests, as well as Carol Bristow-Zur ( .38 Special backup singer for 12 years and a few as a Skynyrd backup singer). It's gonna be fun.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
Bob, on the point of Artimus being shot, that story depends on which account of Artimus you find, it has varied. And the band mates as well, for that matter.
Yep, I've heard that his account is disputed but included it anyway because I thought it was humorous.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:36 AM

hello Allen...i just finished watching your video of Cherokee Shuffle on the Collings Forum - great stuff as always sir! Really appreciate the kind words and it sure means a great deal from you. Love the stories your shared, thanks, and couldn't agree more - we've heard so many 'watered down' covers that when you study those studio tracks most of us have to get our A game out!

I'm honored to get to share music with you guys, Bob & Allen!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM

I've not really paid much attention to the 'Show and Tell' section but I just dipped in and saw 'That Smell' listed so I thought I would have a listen.

So glad I did - This is a fantastic song that was never off the radio as we drove from Miami to the Kennedy Space Centre about 12 years ago. Hearing it always takes me back to the sunshine and a memorable trip.

...And what a great job you do covering it. In fact, I had to listen to your other stuff on You Tube and was impressed.

BTW, 1961 was an excellent year to be born in

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell