The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Default Luthier cracked my guitar

Just wanted to get some feedback from people on this board. I have a 2000 Martin 000C-16GTE and I took it to a luthier to have the bridge reset to repair a small crack on the bottom side, just past the cutaway. From my research, this is one of the better places in Atlanta for acoustic repair work.

I received a call from them this week that, during repair, my guitar fell from the workbench. The result of the fall was a 10 inch crack along the binding on the top side of the guitar. They are working to repair it. The guitar shop is a decent drive, so I haven't inspected the guitar to see if there was any other cosmetic damage.

This has been my only guitar since 2000, so it just kills me. The guitar and its neck just fit perfectly with me and the guitar has aged very well in its tone and playability.

The only thing the repair shop has said was that they would fix it, the original repairs would be free (they were only $150 anyway), and that once it was repaired I could come check it out and we could discuss.

I'm totally inexperienced in this area, so I wanted to see how others would approach this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM

Hello & welcome to the AGForum! Sorry to hear of the mishap with your guitar. I think I can speak for all of us when I say "I cringed" reading your post :-(

One thing I have learned in my short 57 years, the question is not "will there be mistakes made" but rather "how will those mistakes be handled".

It seems to me like the shop has been upfront & honest, that they are offering to make things right, waving the original fee, and willing to discuss it with you (presumably to ensure your satisfaction). That all sounds right to me.

I am sure you are bummed out -- I would be. But I suggest doing a "wait & see". If they are good, the repair shouldn't be all that noticeable. It's still your place, however, to ensure your satisfaction with the end result.

Please keep us informed.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM

what is a bridge reset? and what does it have to do with fixing a crack on the bottom side just past the cutaway?

sorry for the damage. i hope they get it together decently.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM

just breathe and relax, if the shop is going to repair all of the damages than just set back and let them do it, try to put it out of your mind and forget about it till they are finished working their magic on the guitar.

when they call you to come and pick up your guitar. take the drive down there, let the anxiety set in on the way to pick it up cus it will, but i bet when you get there you will not notice that there was any damage to the guitar if they are really that good.

make sure you get some kind of guarantee on the repair for the damaged that they causes and get something in writing saying they broke and fixed your guitar and make sure they go in to detail about what happened.

when you get the guitar home take it in the place that you are used to playing it and make sure the tone has not changed at all. if it has and its not for the better, call them up and see what they can do about it.

if you are unhappy with the guitar and you got full details in writing and you need to take further action you have undeniable proof of what happened.

now the good news is a good guitar repair tech can fix your cracked top and you will never know the difference. more than likely this will be the case so dont worry aobut it, it sounds like they are going to make it right and i guarantee they are going to fix this guitar and take extreme measures to make sure its done perfectly.. they will probably do any thing it takes to make this guitar right again, the last thing they want is to halve to buy you a brand new one or lawsuit. if they are a good shop this will be fixed correctly.
genz benz shenandoah acoustic 88
aria pro III
egnater tourmaster 4212

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannylightning

http://www.myspace.com/dannylightningrocks
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I do this guitar thing for a living and I've never heard of a bridge reset. Can you explain what it is you are talking about there.
as to the accident: Well, accidents happen. They've handled it as best as can be expected. At least they didn't fix it and not even tell you about it (which I've seen happen way too often). I'm guessing you won't be able to tell the repair was even made. Accept the free repair, move on and play the heck out of it. Be glad it wasn't you that dropped it and had to pay for that repair as well as the original.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Look at it before they repair it.. insist on this. Take the drive. Today !

I had a hack in Santa Cruz Calif attempt to repair a couple of my instruments that had fallen off a wall... I did not give permission to have them repaired...
Long story.. but he now has a rather well known shop... how ? I have no clue....

Look before you agree to the repairs...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnun View Post
....I received a call from them this week that, during repair, my guitar fell from the workbench. The result of the fall was a 10 inch crack along the binding on the top side of the guitar. They are working to repair it. The guitar shop is a decent drive, so I haven't inspected the guitar to see if there was any other cosmetic damage.

This has been my only guitar since 2000, so it just kills me. The guitar and its neck just fit perfectly with me and the guitar has aged very well in its tone and playability.

...I'm totally inexperienced in this area, so I wanted to see how others would approach this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi bnun…

First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined…

I think it was generous and kind (and proper) of them to call you and tell you, and then to offer to fix the guitar for free.

If they are competent, they could have just fixed it, and charged you and you'd be none the wiser if they are really good at repairs (as it would be invisible).

Most competent repair shops can do the repairs in such a way they are structurally sound, don't affect the tone or cosmetics of an instrument, and they last.

Sounds like you put your guitar into the hands of honest and competent people. I'd want to inspect it well when picking it up, and be honest if they need to do more to restore it to original.

I've seen some nasty damage repaired invisibly. It's amazing what good and competent techs can do, and it sounds like they came well recommended.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
I do this guitar thing for a living and I've never heard of a bridge reset. Can you explain what it is you are talking about there.
Hi Paul…
Just a quick aside to your query.

When my Olson was 11 yrs old, as a result of hard play, dry climate etc. the back of the bridge was barely lifting (a thousandth or two in a small area), and Michael Bashkin when he discovered it recommeded that I have the bridge removed and reset (not merely filled with glue).

I took the recommendation and he did the repairs, and on the invoice it was written up as a bridge 'reset'.

I had a friend who had a 1973 Martin D-35 and the bridge was mislocated by nearly ¼'' from the factory (which meant it played really out of tune) and it needed to be removed and then properly located, and the authorized Martin tech who did the work called that a ''bridge reset''.

Those are two things I've heard called a bridge reset.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone, that does help me feel a little better. Like I said, this is my first experience having repair work done, so it made me quite nervous. I am glad they called me as soon as the accident happened and I've resisted any desire to call back and complain. This is a long-time, family owned shop that has a good reputation, so I want to give them the chance to live up to it before I get all worked up. But, I did want to check with those more experienced that I, just the be sure what to look out for.

For those that asked, when I said bridge reset (again I'm new at the repair thing), I meant my bridge was pulling up and they are going repair it.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 AM

It's simple math really. What is the value of the instrument pre-damage compared to the value after the damage and subsequent repair? Whatever the difference, that's what the shop owes you. If that difference is about $150, take the free service for the original repairs and move on. If it's more, demand the shop compensate you or take them to small claims court.

Obviously, determining the exact pre and post damage value is a guess on your part...the expense of getting a proper appraisal is probably prohibitive.

Since the guitar already had one crack, it's not like they've ruined a perfect condition instrument. My gut says I'd let them repair it and ask for a some store credit in addition. Whether that credit gets you a pack of strings or something more valuable is up to the negotiation. If you can't live with the new damage, and you have some cash, cut a deal on a new guitar and let them sell your repaired instrument as used.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Thats just horrible, stuff happens though. Even in the last place you would expect it to. I wouldnt go in there all smiles though, thats for sure.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I'd have to disagree - Sounds like you have a very honest and quality-oriented repair person. There were alot of ways that they could have handled that and you would probably have been none the wiser, and a bit poorer. Instead, they were very up front, and have been generous in offering to take care of it. That professional integrity is worth a lot these days. These are the kind of people that you want to have a good relationship with, and you want to have taking care of an instrument you really love. It was gonna be a repaired instrument regardless - a well repaired instrument is a well repaired instrument -

Relax and look forward to getting your guitar back - it sounds like you're gonna come out of this more than fine - and remember this in case you ever find that you've made a mistake or are less than perfect in your dealings with others.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I'd have to disagree - Sounds like you have a very honest and quality-oriented repair person. There were alot of ways that they could have handled that and you would probably have been none the wiser, and a bit poorer. Instead, they were very up front, and have been generous in offering to take care of it. That professional integrity is worth a lot these days. These are the kind of people that you want to have a good relationship with, and you want to have taking care of an instrument you really love. It was gonna be a repaired instrument regardless - a well repaired instrument is a well repaired instrument -

Relax and look forward to getting your guitar back - it sounds like you're gonna come out of this more than fine - and remember this in case you ever find that you've made a mistake or are less than perfect in your dealings with others.

I could not agree more! As long as the workmanship is up to par, this is a guy you want to know!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

You guys are a lot more generous and understanding than me. My guitars are my babies. This would be like a doctor saying "We accidently cut your' kids arm off while applying a bandage to a boo boo. But don't worry, we'll sew it back on at no additional cost and the band-aide is free".

Unless these guys are mircle workers, there's no way I'd accept this guitar back with a 10" repaired crack in the soundboard. I'd give them a few options, but accepting the guitar with the 10" crack would be out of the question.

Option 1. Buy me a new guitar and sell the old one to recoup some of their loss.

Option 2. Send the guitar to Martin for a new top.

Option 3. Let me pick any guitar in their inventory of equal or higher value that hasn't kissed the floor. If they have nothing in thier inventory to my liking, see option 1.

This isn't a friend that had an accident with a guitar you loaned them. They are a business that advertises PROFESSIONAL REPAIRS. You don't expect a professional to drop your' guitar on the floor while repairing it. Yes accidents can happen to anyone, even professionals. When they do, the PROs have to eat the cost. That's the price of doing business and calling yourself a PRO.

Last edited by drive-south; 08-24-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM

It is a bit tricky. On the one hand, you have an honest luthier which is great, the way is should be. On the other hand, you have a guitar, that is worth less than what it was prior to the repair. If there is a crack on the top, it will be noticable and if you ever decide to sell it, you should be honest and let any potential sellers know. You will get less money as a result. I think it makes sense to see the guitar. If the repairs are anything less than invisable, you should have a conversation about the diminished value. I don't have my blue books with me but you can subtract 25% from the blue book if there is a visable repair.
1939 Gibson Kamalazoo Oriole
1968 Harmony Monteray
1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic
1910 Bruno Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion