The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 AM

Default Short-scale rosewood dreadnought?

Are there any short-scale, sitka topped, rosewood back and sides dreadnoughts (slope shoulder or not) out there that are reasonably priced - say under $800?

My elderly neighbour really wants a rosewood J-45 but can't stretch to the price of one, so we are looking around for cheaper alternatives. Laminated b/s would be considered, but he wants a solid top. Sunburst would also be nice, but not essential.

We found the Recording King RAJ-27 on the RK Website but haven't found any actually for sale.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I messed around with the Recording King Flat tops the other day for the first time. I was impressed. A new store in Pittsburgh called "The Backstage" I don't know if thier prices are good or that they ship.
I did not note a short scale but I was impressed with the build and finish and playability for the dough.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Tanglewood do a j45 copy at well below your price range sounds very good look it up on there web site. Also Blueridge do one, again cheaper but get the solid back and mahogany back and sides. Simon and Patrick do dreads with shorter scale also good.
all the best SIMMO
Old 08-20-2009, 07:01 AM

I'd highly recommend looking into the Simon & Patrick Showcase line... All solid woods, Canadian built, quality construction, short scale, very nice tone and can be found new (straight acoustic) for just a touch over that price and used for considerably less... Excellent guitars (IMO) that don't get anywhere near the attention they deserve. Their top of the line AER equipped model could be picked up barely used for that and they sound superb plugged in... IMO -Pix

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 AM

Yamaha Junkie, did you get to play the slope-shoulder dreads?

Simmo, that Tanglewood copy is actually on our want to try list. It looks fantastic, but alas is standard scale. Have you played it?

Guiratpix, we will check it out!

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Simmo, that Tanglewood copy is actually on our want to try list. It looks h betterfantastic, but alas is standard scale. Have you played it?

Yes but just a few seconds thought it was s/scale but could be wrong. I have a Blueridge J45 copy that Im not over happy with BG60 but the BG160 is much better wish Id gone for that now but thats a different story. slim neck short scale may be worth a trie.
Simmo
Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Not sure. I was just suprised to see them so I picked up a few and played around for a short while. I was very impressed. I'll be back over there next week. I'll take a camera and note pad with me and give you a better review.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 AM

That would be fantastic Yamaha Junkie.

Simmo, the specs say the Tanglewood is standard scale, if we are looking at the same guitar - the Rosewood Reserve series -TRD VS E is what we have been looking at online - but specs have been wrong before! We'll see about finding one to play.

Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Default S&P on sale

There's a blowout price on a S&P Pro Rosewood about halfway down this page. I haven't seen, touched or played this guitar but the price looks pretty good. Might be worth a call for you...

http://www.willismusic.com/hotlist

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion