The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny
...I've never seen a Martin or a Gibson [acoustic] here 'in the flesh' in the 50 odd years I've been around...
So you don't get out much, then?

I've seen everything from D45s and tricked up J200s to EC 000s and everything in between in Sydney shops. Both Chris Martin and Bob Taylor in person have done public demos of guitars right across their ranges here, at least once, in recent years.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Berny...

Yup - and I feel blessed by it too.

After having traveled a little bit abroad in Europe, I realize how good we have it in the USA.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Maybe so but you have better surf than we do in New Jersey! As a surfer I can always import a guitar but to get good waves. Meh!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Guest 728

I'm just lucky, period. People around the world are living in squalor, battling disease, war, oppression, and poverty. The very fact that I won the "lottery of birth" makes me eternally grateful.

I have a job, a house, an education, and an intact famly. I live in an amazing community full of artistic, creative people. I own four wonderful guitars, any of which could easily be my "only." I love my job. The weather is nice. I drink good beer, eat fresh food, and have the freedom to pursue my interests without interference.

I'm more than lucky. It's an embarrassment of riches.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Guest316

I've never been to Australia, so cannot make a comparison; however I know we are very fortunate in the USA with the huge selection of acoustic guitars from so many manufacturers. Good post, OP
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Definitely know it... being born here is like winning the lottery.

It's good to keep in mind that hard work only get's you so far, that to a large extent one's success depends on those who have gone before us and those around us.

Yes, and also, there are lots of Martins and Gibsons and even an occasional D'Angelico or D'Aquisto! Life is good.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
And I think sometimes folks can end up second guessing their decisions too much rather than just settling down with the instrument they bought (which might well be a very nice instrument) and bonding with it and fully enjoying it.
No way!!! I have NEVER seen a thread on this forum that would even remotely suggest that!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:18 PM

I`m an Australian who lives in a small rural coastal town (pop; 3,235) halfway between Sydney and Melbourne, I have bought 6 acoustic guitars in the last 10 years, 4 of them from the USA and the other 2 from here. All 6 guitars were found using my PC. A few from ebay and a few from online store sites. The world is not so big anymore and earlier this year, when our dollar was worth more than the `greenback` and Australia signed the AUSFTA (Australia-United-States-Free-Trade-Agreement) which entitles goods declared `US-made` to be Import Duty Free, there was no better time to buy guitars from the USA. Yes, I think Americans must enjoy a fabulous selection of guitars at amazingly good prices but I still feel pretty lucky living in a small town with no traffic lights and whales and dolphins swimming off the beach every day. Clean air and mild Winter and Summer temperatures and when I need my daily guitar fix I can log on and talk with good people like this forum, I can shop around and I can hear sound clips. I think I`m lucky.

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
After having traveled a little bit abroad in Europe, I realize how good we have it in the USA.
Hmmm ...not sure I am altogether comfortable with that cryptic utterance, Larry ..are you talking purely and simply about availability of high end guitars ?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Every time I have to pay 20% more plus import duty, and shipping for something from the USA, I remind myself that I don't have to have Health Insurance or live in a city where people shoot guns.
It's called justification and you wield it well. May you ever be protected by its shield.

Seriously mods? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Or the price of guitars in the Europe, Australia, or the USA? Shall I be the first to debate the superiority of socialized medicine or evils of civilian gun ownership?

Perhaps we should leave those to the political/social type forums and simply discuss guitars here?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM

We're fairly lucky in Canada....access to all the big brands, small shop instruments and a wealth of excellent solo luthiers....many of which are incredibly priced.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny View Post
Hi mate, I've no doubt there are ppl who are 'far worse off' than you too, but my point is; there are far more guitars in America, than there are here in Oz. It's simply a fact that they have a huge range of reasonably [subjective] priced guitars to choose from. I was just as simply making the point that Americans have a way better range of instruments than I do. I'm not whingeing, just making a point!
Haha yes I know, I was simply trying to make you realize that you're one of the privileged ones comparatively And yes I do agree with you on all other points.

"When we are listening to the sound of a singer's voice, God is listening to the sound of a singer's heart."
Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
Maybe so but you have better surf than we do in New Jersey! As a surfer I can always import a guitar but to get good waves. Meh!
AAAAH! Now we're talking . Yes I guess living on the Oz North Shore did spoil me in many ways, including some great surf breaks.

I haven't given up on finding that classic 'old guitar' [Neil Young style]..... I keep looking in SA stores and Vinnies et al. You never know!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berny View Post
Been reading threads discussing guitar makes and models and which ones are the best or good value, and I had the thought that you blokes may not know just how lucky you all are??? There must be millions of guitars in the USA, and as a result you have a huge range of makes and models to choose from when looking for your pride and joy. And all this at what we in Oz would consider, very 'comfortable' prices.

Not so here in Australia. There is only a limited quantity to choose from here, unless you are prepared to have something shipped from over-seas, which is always going to be a seriously anxiety filled process.
Not sure what my point is other than reminding just how fortunate you are living in the US! end rant!

Berny.............+1. It's Disneyland over here with all the fabulous choices.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I'm just lucky, period. People around the world are living in squalor, battling disease, war, oppression, and poverty. The very fact that I won the "lottery of birth" makes me eternally grateful.

I have a job, a house, an education, and an intact famly. I live in an amazing community full of artistic, creative people. I own four wonderful guitars, any of which could easily be my "only." I love my job. The weather is nice. I drink good beer, eat fresh food, and have the freedom to pursue my interests without interference.

I'm more than lucky. It's an embarrassment of riches.
+! and every single phrase (right down to four guitars) is identical for me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion