The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-26-2023, 12:31 PM

Default Naming an album

I've got 12 songs that I'm about to start recording for my third album, and so now I'm also thinking about what to name the album. Typically (though not always), an album is named as one of the song contained in it. Here are the song titles (in alphabetical order):

Can't Write That Song
Did You
Half of What I Know
I Need Fixin'
In Stone
One Life Stand
Other Side of Fear
Raised on Reagan
Sunflowers and Sunsets
This One's Gonna Hurt
West of Eastland
What She Can't Forget

When I started recording the second album, I had just written the song "In Stone" and decided not to include it. At the time, I felt sure that this would be the title of the third album.

Most first two albums contained songs that were written solely by me. This one will have four co-write on it, so "Can't Write That Song" seems like a reasonable title. Ironically, that song was also a co-write. It was my idea, and I think I got one other line in the song besides the hook. In my defense, I was co-writing with a guy who has been writing in Nashville for at least a decade, and has two songs on Cody Johnson's latest albums.

My first album was named "A Pretty Good Me", which I felt described the way I felt about myself at the time quite well. My second album was named "More Dollars Than Sense", which also seemed fitting at the time. In that vein, perhaps "Other Side of Fear" would be a good title . . I've finally gotten to where I think I'm going to retire (from an extremely high-paying job) to go lose money as a songwriter . . . to heck with the fear of doing that.

My wife looked at the song list and for some reason thought that "Half of What I Know" should be the album title. I also think that "West of Eastland" would make an interesting title, or "What She Can't Forget".

I guess I also need to think about the artwork that would go with each title.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:29 PM

If you have Band-In-A-Box, it has got a song title generator... maybe this could help? (Sorry, couldn't resist. )
Old 12-26-2023, 01:50 PM

Not knowing anything about the album,

my gut reaction?

half of what I know

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-26-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Based on titles alone
Sunflowers and Sunsets

Out of all the titles, this one gives me the most tangible image
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM

Of all the titles you have listed, the one that sounds interesting enough to make me click on it for a listen is "This One's Gonna Hurt".

Sounds like a title song.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Of all the titles you have listed, the one that sounds interesting enough to make me click on it for a listen is "This One's Gonna Hurt".
Here ya go. Written to a friend of mine on the day he died earlier this year.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Based on titles alone
Sunflowers and Sunsets

Out of all the titles, this one gives me the most tangible image
Thanks. I probably would've chosen that one, except my first album has sunsets on the sleeve artwork and a sunflower on the disc artwork. Both are in memory of a friend of mine who died four years ago, whose death literally turned me into a songwriter (she was one).
Old 12-26-2023, 03:05 PM

Follow Joe Walsh's example, he released an LP in 1983 called "You Bought it, You name it."
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post

Sounds like a title song.
I second the nomination.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 12-26-2023, 03:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

For pure style I'd go with the irony of "West of Eastland." It begs for an explanation and therefore sucks you in.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 12-26-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 04:27 PM

Default If it was me .....

Pick your album cover artwork - then see which song (title) best fits.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 12-26-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
Pick your album cover artwork - then see which song (title) best fits.
If I come up with a great artwork idea for any of the titles, that might be the deciding factor.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
For pure style I'd go with the irony of "West of Eastland." It begs for an explanation and therefore sucks you in.
Here's the song:

And the story behind it:

At church, I heard two guys talking about something (turns out it was about where one had been hunting) . . . and all I heard was "west of Eastland". Might light-bulb went on! Sounded like an interesting idea.

A week or so later, I was in the shower thinking about what the setup line might be (thinking it would be part of a chorus). Then it hit me: "Found my direction a little west of Eastland". Brilliant, even if I do say so myself.

But I decided this song didn't need a chorus (or I was too lazy to figure out how to make that work, take your pick), so I write it as a story song, ending with the line I'd come up with.

I started out thinking I'd need a few more words that ended in the "shun" sound, for a few more soft rhymes with "Eastland" . . . but it turns out there are a seemingly infinite number of words like this. So many that I figured I could make almost every rhyme using them (I think "weekend" is the only word that doesn't use this ending). I also got a lot of internal rhymes, and there are so many words I didn't feel like the song felt "forced" in any way.

When I play it, I try to think about smiling each time a "shun" word comes around . . . as if to say/wink to the audience "yep, here come another one!"

For several days after I wrote this song, my wife and I would yell out words like "abolition", "revolution", "constipation", etc . . .

It's one of my favorite songs . . . but my newest song always feels that way until the next one come along.

I think my "proudest" moment in the song was getting "sophistication" rhyming with "civilization" . . . five syllable words! That, and coming up with "skyscraper civilization" . . first time I think I've used a noun as an adjective in a song (I have a friend who is a master at this technique).
Old 12-27-2023, 05:08 AM

I like "Half of What I Know" - except that might suggest to listeners that you have no more than a second album in you, to be titled "The Other Half of What I know" And then you're done!

I also like "Sunflowers and Sunsets" and "West of Eastland" - they both evoke something thoughtful and romantic.

If your songs contained a fair amount of humour, then "I Need Fixin'" or "This One's Gonna Hurt" might be good - otherwise they might create false expectation. Likewise "The Other Side of Fear" might be too dark.

Another suggestion would not be one of the song titles, but some resonant or intriguing phrase from one of the lyrics.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:31 AM

Wives are always right, you needed think any more about it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write