The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-02-2018, 02:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Fingers, thanks so much. I believe you're in Santa Barbara, aren't you? I hope you were not threatened by the recent fires. Really a sad and devastating event.

I do have to confess that the red is always the first one I reach for myself as a player, and not because it's the prettiest or the most expensive. As you say, it has just that perfect combination of qualities. I was just thinking: We've been selling the red models just over a year now, and even of the hundreds and hundreds we've sold I don't think we've ever received one in return, even though we have the most generous return policy in the pick industry (35 days).

On our other lines, folks, I love the black, brown and the tortoise as well. Since I backed into this business as a player, I have no desire to ever make something strictly for money or profit. I'm interested only in making stuff that I would be proud to use in the studio or in live performance, or for the most demanding players in the world to use in those situations as well. No crap, no BS, just pure performance.

Here are a couple clips of our picks in performance:

1) This is me playing my Eastman live directly into an SM-58, just pure signal. The sound is Michael Peter Smith's wonderful "The Dutchman". The pick (I forget!) is either red or tortoise model. If I may say so, this is what a truly great pick sounds like on a truly great guitar playing a truly great song:

If you have not heard this, Maury from Maury's Music fell so in love with our picks that, unbeknownst to me, he made five short videos of him demoing playing one on his legendary OM-28. This is the instrumental from Jackson Browne's "For Everyman." Maury loves our brown series clt-75, a tri the same material as Blue Chip, but much thinner, at .75 mm. This is our second most popular model in the company, after the red teardrop:

Thanks, Maury and Fingers, for your early and continued support of our vision.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-02-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I realized my order didn’t finish from the paypal site. It sent me back to the Charmed Life site to complete, so on second thought, decided to order a Red and start with that. I usually use 1.0 Ultex, so I think that thickness will serve me better than the thinner Tort picks. Does that seem reasonable? Also interested in the black. But may as well start with the super cool Red.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-11-2018, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

I received my first Charmed Life Pick today. I ordered the “Red” since there has been a lot of love and infatuation. It arrived faster than expected and came with a nice note indicating its exact thickness on a sheet with lots of ‘care’ instructions to get the most out of it. I was very impressed with that. Super cool.

Then I gave it a test drive on my Collings OM1A. Maybe I’m not used to this material? How can you know what a pick will sound like until you try it? So I ordered one blindly in hopes it would rock my world.

In truth, (IMO) It sounds a lot brighter than my other picks of similar thickness. (1.0) The Red CL Pick feels great & plays great but is it sounds twice as bright as my Dunlop Ultex 1.0 and also twice as bright as my current favorite; Blue chip TD40 that I just received. I also have BC TD50 and TAD50/TAD55. I’m no stranger to spending money for a good quality pick. The CL Red is clearly a quality pick. But sonically, it is just way too bright for me.

Don’t get me wrong, the quality is clearly superb, the notes and personal thanks for my order on the invoice are pure class.

I just think maybe there is a better Charmed Life Pick for me than the Red. Others may love and covet this pick more than me. We are all different and have preferences. But I can safely say the Red is not my cup of tea. *shared with great respect. Simply felt its important to be candid.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-12-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I received my first Charmed Life Pick today. I ordered the “Red” since there has been a lot of love and infatuation. It arrived faster than expected and came with a nice note indicating its exact thickness on a sheet with lots of ‘care’ instructions to get the most out of it. I was very impressed with that. Super cool.

Then I gave it a test drive on my Collings OM1A. Maybe I’m not used to this material? How can you know what a pick will sound like until you try it? So I ordered one blindly in hopes it would rock my world.

In truth, (IMO) It sounds a lot brighter than my other picks of similar thickness. (1.0) The Red CL Pick feels great & plays great but is it sounds twice as bright as my Dunlop Ultex 1.0 and also twice as bright as my current favorite; Blue chip TD40 that I just received. I also have BC TD50 and TAD50/TAD55. I’m no stranger to spending money for a good quality pick. The CL Red is clearly a quality pick. But sonically, it is just way too bright for me.

Don’t get me wrong, the quality is clearly superb, the notes and personal thanks for my order on the invoice are pure class.

I just think maybe there is a better Charmed Life Pick for me than the Red. Others may love and covet this pick more than me. We are all different and have preferences. But I can safely say the Red is not my cup of tea. *shared with great respect. Simply felt its important to be candid.
That's actually an unusual comment for the red, but your experience is your experience. Most players report the opposite -- that the high end isn't as bright as other materials. The BCs you're playing are quite a bit thicker, which rolls off the high end more.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
That's actually an unusual comment for the red, but your experience is your experience. Most players report the opposite -- that the high end isn't as bright as other materials. The BCs you're playing are quite a bit thicker, which rolls off the high end more.
If I get a chance, I’ll make a video and see if I can capture the differences. Isn’t the Dunlop Ultex 1.0 pretty close in thickness to the Red? If not, then maybe I am hearing the tonal difference in thickness. I agree thicker picks are warmer for sure.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

A couple other thoughts: The BCs you're playing are quite a bit thicker than the red from CL, which rolls off the high end more. A thinner pick of the same material will always be brighter. BC uses English measurements in their model numbers, so a TD/TAD 50 is about 1.25 mm thick, which is quite a difference (25% thicker). Also a TAD large tri has more than twice the surface area (mass) as a teardrop, which again, makes it heavier and less bright. I don't understand the physics that much, but apparently lighter mass causes a lighter pick to "bounce" off the string faster, whereas a thicker/heavier one will release a millisecond later. I suspect if you played our red teardrop at 1.0 mm vs a TD-35 or TD-40 that might be a closer match.

I'm not making excuses. We're just happy to be part of the conversation. I always insist customers are honest with other players and with me as to their experience playing our stuff. We're only in business eighteen months, so to mentioned in the same sentence as Blue Chip, at about ten years in business, is a thrill for us, since this is a company for which we have a great deal of respect. We offer 35 day returns, and BC 30 days, which are the best return policies in the industry. I told a customer just today (and I say this all the time) that I'm much more concerned that you find the right pick for your playing and guitars, even if it isn't ours. We get almost zero returns, but it does happen, and that's why that policy is in place.

Thanks for your report. This is really helpful to folks out there making decisions about what picks to buy.

See Ya,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-12-2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not making excuses. We're just happy to be part of the conversation. I always insist customers are honest with other players and with me as to their experience playing our stuff. We're only in business eighteen months, so to mentioned in the same sentence as Blue Chip, at about ten years in business, is a thrill for us, since this is a company for which we have a great deal of respect. We offer 35 day returns, and BC 30 days, which are the best return policies in the industry. I told a customer just today (and I say this all the time) that I'm much more concerned that you find the right pick for your playing and guitars, even if it isn't ours. We get almost zero returns, but it does happen, and that's why that policy is in place.

Thanks for your report. This is really helpful to folks out there making decisions about what picks to buy.

See Ya,
Scott
I just ordered one of your .90mm tortoise shell picks. I was so impressed with your attitude in the post above that I decided to give your picks a shot....And FYI, I have never spent more than $1 on a pick, if that much.

That tortoise shell is a beautiful pick. 1.0mm is my usual thickness, in a Dunlop, Fender, etc, and sometimes they are just a tad much for pulling off some of the softer songs. I flat pick a lot so a certain amount of thickness helps me get through the strings with less effort when flat picking, giving me more overall control and less digging into the string. I am intrigued to see if a .90mm will help me find my happy place for versatility. I've never used a .90mm and don't know if I've ever even seen one, so I'm looking forward to trying it. Of course, like I said, I've spent more than $1 on a pick either. LOL

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I just ordered one of your .90mm tortoise shell picks. I was so impressed with your attitude in the post above that I decided to give your picks a shot....And FYI, I have never spent more than $1 on a pick, if that much.

That tortoise shell is a beautiful pick. 1.0mm is my usual thickness, in a Dunlop, Fender, etc, and sometimes they are just a tad much for pulling off some of the softer songs. I flat pick a lot so a certain amount of thickness helps me get through the strings with less effort when flat picking, giving me more overall control and less digging into the string. I am intrigued to see if a .90mm will help me find my happy place for versatility. I've never used a .90mm and don't know if I've ever even seen one, so I'm looking forward to trying it. Of course, like I said, I've spent more than $1 on a pick either. LOL

Thanks.
Uh-Oh, you've now entered the high-end pick world. Son, there is no help for you.

There should be a Twelve-Step program for people like us.

Thanks for the kind words. Those thoughts of mine really do express my view. The Boy Scout in me dies hard, I guess. There will be more players coming into the boutique pick business, and we want to be known as the best of the best, in attitude, service and product. It's funny, as good as your products may be, in the foundational years of a company, service and attitude are actually more important. It's where you establish your culture and identity.

When I was in sales for many years, I worked for some very dishonest people, people I didn't respect as human beings. One guy was having a long-term affair and making his secretary screen his calls from his wife. Disgusting. So when I founded CLP, I made sure my company reflected who I am in the world.

Thanks for noticing. It matters.

Scott
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Uh-Oh, you've now entered the high-end pick world. Son, there is no help for you.

There should be a Twelve-Step program for people like us.

Thanks for the kind words. Those thoughts of mine really do express my view. The Boy Scout in me dies hard, I guess. There will be more players coming into the boutique pick business, and we want to be known as the best of the best, in attitude, service and product. It's funny, as good as your products may be, in the foundational years of a company, service and attitude are actually more important. It's where you establish your culture and identity.

When I was in sales for many years, I worked for some very dishonest people, people I didn't respect as human beings. One guy was having a long-term affair and making his secretary screen his calls from his wife. Disgusting. So when I founded CLP, I made sure my company reflected who I am in the world.

Thanks for noticing. It matters.

Scott
My pleasure!

I am afraid this could become an addiction. LOL...I am curious about the tonal qualities of boutique picks. If they make the instrument sound better, or simply give the guitar something that cannot be achieved otherwise, it is well worth the extra cost.

Thanks again man. I am looking forward to this pick.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
My pleasure!

I am afraid this could become an addiction. LOL...I am curious about the tonal qualities of boutique picks. If they make the instrument sound better, or simply give the guitar something that cannot be achieved otherwise, it is well worth the extra cost.

Thanks again man. I am looking forward to this pick.
I'll look forward to your review. We encourage people to be honest in their experiences with our products, and we prefer people listen to other players vs ourselves. Reviews on AGF and elsewhere are very helpful for folks considering upscale accessories. The material you ordered is really cool stuff. I play it every day.

take care,
scott
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll look forward to your review. We encourage people to be honest in their experiences with our products, and we prefer people listen to other players vs ourselves. Reviews on AGF and elsewhere are very helpful for folks considering upscale accessories. The material you ordered is really cool stuff. I play it every day.

take care,
scott
I looked at all of those listed on your site before I settled on that one. It looks like a good one for my style of playing. Plus, it is beautiful. As a fellow guitar player, I'm glad to hear it is one that you play with everyday.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM

Hi Scott !

I'm looking for a pick which produces a bright and clear tone. Reason is, I play an all mahogany Taylor which is a very mellow sounding guitar and, though I'm experimenting with strings to brighten things up a bit, I know a pick can help produce a brighter sound.

What would you suggest out of all the picks you make?

Thanks in advance

Russ Seuffert
Old 01-12-2018, 11:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
Hi Scott !

I'm looking for a pick which produces a bright and clear tone. Reason is, I play an all mahogany Taylor which is a very mellow sounding guitar and, though I'm experimenting with strings to brighten things up a bit, I know a pick can help produce a brighter sound.

What would you suggest out of all the picks you make?

Thanks in advance

Russ Seuffert
Russ, I'm a hog man myself.

A few quick questions to help me dial you in:

1) What thickness and shapes do you normally prefer to play?
2) Have you played any of the boutique brands out there, if so, which ones and what did you think of what you played?
3) If not, what are you playing now mainly? Dunlop? Fender? Etc.

Sorry, I really get into it.

scott
Old 01-13-2018, 10:27 PM

Well Scott, to answer your questions

2) Have you played any of the boutique brands out there, if so, which ones and what did you think of what you played?

1. Traditional size and shape. Usually light to .80 max.
However, strictly light when playing my Martin D12-20 (1969 build).

2. No, haven't played any fancy picks yet.

3. I've been trying out different brands besides Dunlop and Fender, i.e. Cool picks, Cat's tongue (I love the grip), Tusq, Guitar Moose (again a great grip), and Snark. And of course, the ever present, universal GC red pick!

I don't play with a heavy hand even though I could with my Taylor dread.

Thanks Scott for your efforts on getting me an answer!
Reagrds,
Russ
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
Well Scott, to answer your questions

1. Traditional size and shape. Usually light to .80 max.
However, strictly light when playing my Martin D12-20 (1969 build).

2. No, haven't played any fancy picks yet.

3. I've been trying out different brands besides Dunlop and Fender, i.e. Cool picks, Cat's tongue (I love the grip), Tusq, Guitar Moose (again a great grip), and Snark. And of course, the ever present, universal GC red pick!

I don't play with a heavy hand even though I could with my Taylor dread.

Thanks Scott for your efforts on getting me an answer!
Reagrds,
Russ
Russ, apologies for getting back to you so slowly. I just got back from an all-day jam and felt obligated to respond before I hit the hay. If I sound half-coherent, it's because I am.

You're playing needs are right in the wheelhouse of what we specialize in within the premium pick marketplace, something no one else does. When we started the company, we looked around and saw a total of ZERO high-end pick makers producing thinner picks, below 1.0 mm. In fact, to date, we are the only company I'm aware of in the entire world that specializes in thinner picks for serious recreational players.

Okay, enough of the sales pitch. We use the identical material Blue Chip uses, but in our teardrop we go all the way down to .75 mm, and these are one of our hottest sellers. This would be my number recommendation for you from CLP. I can tell you these are simply the best .75 mm picks in the industry, hands down. We offer full refund for 35 days, and these just don't come back.

https://www.charmedlifepicks.com/product-page/clfs-75

As a reference, a standard Fender Medium pick is right around .77 mm. BTW, I don't have these up on the website, but we have our brown series teardrops on the shelf even at .60 mm. I usually saves these for shows and festivals, but let me know if interested. These wipe the floor of any .60 mm pick in the industry.

Finally, Russ, you might also consider a CLP black model. We're getting to the point where can't make custom stuff anymore -- just too dang busy -- but I do have a few of these (not on the site) at .75 mm, same as the brown. This is a remarkable new material we developed that is exclusive to CLP. Players have really taken to the black, so it's at least a consideration.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and we don't make more money on any particular line. I just do my best to offer possibilities for people asking questions. Perhaps a couple CLP customers will come in here and share their experience with the browns and blacks.

Gotta hit the sack. Catch you tomorrow.

Oh, and we LOVE questions, in case people haven't figured that out yet.

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-14-2018 at 02:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace