The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Emerald NGD - pics added

My X20 arrived today, it's basically a red Opus model. I think it sounds better than most of you folks have been letting on. Nice CF tone with a touch of warmth. It is kinda of a weird feeling at first having the sound hole shooting the sound right at you and when you look down, you are looking deep into the guitar. Doesn't bother me, something I got used to pretty quickly, just different. I was going to do a comparison with my Rainsong WS1000, but they are very different sounding guitars. I like both, and I may post more on that later. I don't have any pictures yet, but figured most of us know what a red Opus looks like. I like the ice back and sides more than I thought I would. A very comfortable guitar. It's not a veneered beauty like some of the others I see here, but Emerald knocked it out of the park again with this one. Fantastic company to deal with and they delivered almost a month earlier than promised!
Thanks Sean for the great communication and transaction. Top notch all the way. I'll add some pics when the sun reappears.

Not great pics, but you can see the difference between the gloss and ice finish I think.
[IMG]x20 001 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]x20 003 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]x20 004 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by jdinco; 05-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats! The red weave is real nice. It's always great to read when a player is satisfied with a sight-unseen purchase. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! The first thing that hit me upside the head with the X20 was the sound and tone coming out of that offset sound-hole. OMG, I am totally hooked on what that does for the playing experience!

Your new X20 may look similar to others, but I think we all enjoy the eye candy! Red with the "Crystal Ice" back and sides? That deserves some photos here. Tell us about the Opus with red... I know Emerald used to do that, but I thought black was the Opus standard. Oh, and did I mention: some photos would be nice.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I know you'll enjoy it. I look forward to hearing more about it.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Congratulations! If you have the standard X20 guitar then ours could be twins, but I got my red Opus in 2013. It's my main guitar. I didn't know that I would like it so much.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
My X20 arrived today, it's basically a red Opus model. I think it sounds better than most of you folks have been letting on. Nice CF tone with a touch of warmth. It is kinda of a weird feeling at first having the sound hole shooting the sound right at you and when you look down, you are looking deep into the guitar. Doesn't bother me, something I got used to pretty quickly, just different. I was going to do a comparison with my Rainsong WS1000, but they are very different sounding guitars. I like both, and I may post more on that later. I don't have any pictures yet, but figured most of us know what a red Opus looks like. I like the ice back and sides more than I thought I would. A very comfortable guitar. It's not a veneered beauty like some of the others I see here, but Emerald knocked it out of the park again with this one. Fantastic company to deal with and they delivered almost a month earlier than promised!
Thanks Sean for the great communication and transaction. Top notch all the way. I'll add some pics when the sun reappears.
Congrats on your new X20. I would be keen to hear your thoughts in comparison to the Rainsong WS.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all, the red color on an Opus was a custom order if you will, they even put a custom shop sticker in it which was a nice touch. I wanted red, but needed to keep the price down, Sean helped me do that. I'm really busy right now, but will play it as much as I can. Fingers are already a bit tender. LOL

I can relate to Capt Jim's dilemma now, which one to take camping/traveling? the X7 for size or the X20 for the sound !! It's a good problem to have.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 AM
Guest 1478

Congrats! Another nice instrument the from Emerald Isle.
I look forward to seeing some pics too, the crystal ice finish really appeals to me, especially in a colour.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 AM

Congrats. Good job.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:04 AM

Welcome to the X20 Club
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, John!

If this new rig makes your Santa Cruz obsolete, call me.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks all, the red color on an Opus was a custom order if you will, they even put a custom shop sticker in it which was a nice touch. I wanted red, but needed to keep the price down, Sean helped me do that. I'm really busy right now, but will play it as much as I can. Fingers are already a bit tender. LOL

I can relate to Capt Jim's dilemma now, which one to take camping/traveling? the X7 for size or the X20 for the sound !! It's a good problem to have.
I'll be taking my custom X-20 up to the Canadian border for canoeing and camping late September. Portaging with a hard shell case was safer but too much weight compared to the gig bag. At least that was the opinion I formed a few years ago when I took a Rainsong. Congrats!!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 05-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Congrats, John!

If this new rig makes your Santa Cruz obsolete, call me.
LOL....nice try! The D12 is safe.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Pics added
Old 05-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Well...gotta say that it looks REALLY nice. Although Emerald's pics really capture the looks under ideal conditions, your pics look very good, representative of real world conditions. I don't think Emerald produces a guitar that doesn't look great. You must be enjoying this beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber