The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Default McPherson Carbon Fiber

I just strolled into Sam Ash on 34th Street in NYC, and they had a couple carbon fiber guitars. I've never played one, so I picked up a McPherson Touring Guitar. Holy mother of god, this thing sounded awesome!!! Thats' all.

Last edited by jkilgour2000; 05-10-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

McPherson carbon fiber guitars are relatively new to the CF market and are well-regarded. That said, they are quite expensive compared to other brands largely considered just as good, such as offerings from Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird. Of interested to know more, spend some time in the CF subforum.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM

I was in Nashville last month and went into Gruhn guitars specifically to play the McPherson CF models. I was completely taken with the bass resonance, and played several wooden models to see if that was a hallmark of the McPherson build, and it seemed to be. I was, however, disappointed with the performance of the upper end, which may be a result of the soundhole placement. The biggest struggle for me, however, was with how clubby the neck felt on both the wooden and CF models.

I still remember the low-end response, though - pretty magnificent.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:44 PM

I've got a friend with one. I played it against my Emerald. It's better. 2 grand better? nope....
Old 05-10-2017, 05:03 PM

I really like the McPherson Touring Guitar, except for the price! And they almost never come up used.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
I just strolled into Sam Ash on 34th Street in NYC, and they had a couple carbon fiber guitars. I've never played one, so I picked up a McPherson Touring Guitar. Holy mother of god, this thing sounded awesome!!! Thats' all.
The McPherson CF guitars were designed to compete with wood guitars tonally, so folks who have not played carbon guitars before do tend to be impressed. Regarding McPherson Carbon Fiber pricing, they are in line with the Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons they are meant to compete with. And as an all weather companion to their $10,000 wood guitars, they are an absolute bargain.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 05-11-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 PM

I have the smaller one in my closet... think Ill go play it...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I have recently inquire about the McPherson Sable with Ted. I am interested in one of these as well. I am beginning to appreciate offset soundhole guitars as they lend more bass to the guitar. This is evident from my Journey CF, Emerald and also my Avian Skylark.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 PM

I played a 2016 model at Sam Ash with the other name on the headstock. It was interesting, but man it was heavy. I wasn't too sure of the neck "carve" either. Didn't like it enough that I ignored the blowout prices on the old ones.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I played a 2016 model at Sam Ash with the other name on the headstock. It was interesting, but man it was heavy. I wasn't too sure of the neck "carve" either. Didn't like it enough that I ignored the blowout prices on the old ones.
Fwiw, the other/old name was "Kevin Michael by McPherson".
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I have the smaller one in my closet... think Ill go play it...

And tell us more about it. Please. Sir.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
And tell us more about it. Please. Sir.
As it seems to stay in his closet, maybe that says quite a bit. j/k, I'm sure it's a fine guitar.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
As it seems to stay in his closet, maybe that says quite a bit. j/k, I'm sure it's a fine guitar.
Dude. You are reading too much into his words. Haha. He may be babying it, for all you know.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Default McPherson Carbon Fiber

I had an Emerald X-7 for years. For years because I just could never get on with it. I sold it (for more than my original purchase price. Thank you Reverb.com) and replaced it with an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. Maybe I just like larger solid wood guitars but I enjoy the Epiphone which was about half the price so much more. My son who has an amazing set of ears told me how glad he was that I got rid of the carbon fibre guitar.

Shame because with the locking tuners, it stayed in tune for weeks. Pretty much once the strings were thoroughly stretched and settled in, it would maintain tuning until it was time to change strings. It was incredibly headstock heavy. Those locking tuners were a double edge sword. I just found that guitar uncomfortable, too trebly (is that a word?) and it had the absolutely ugliest bridge design in the history of guitars. I wanted so badly to love it but it wasn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-11-2017 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedu View Post
I had an Emerald X-7 for years. For years because I just could never get on with it. I sold it (for more than my original purchase price. Thank you Reverb.com) and replaced it with an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RCE. Maybe I just like larger solid wood guitars but I enjoy the Epiphone which was about half the price so much more. My son who has an amazing set of ears told me how glad he was that I got rid of the carbon fibre guitar.

Shame because with the locking tuners, it stayed in tune for weeks. Pretty much once the strings were thoroughly stretched and settled in, it would maintain tuning until it was time to change strings. It was incredibly headstock heavy. Those locking tuners were a double edge sword. I just found that guitar uncomfortable, too trebly (is that a word?) and it had the absolutely ugliest bridge design in the history of guitars. I wanted so badly to love it but it wasn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just curious...how long ago did you have the Emerald X7 and what year was it made? Have you checked out the new ones? Yours is the first negative review I've read about the X7 where the newer ones are being very well received. You may want to search some threads about it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-11-2017 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber