The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Sorry for wandering off-topic.
"Wandering off topic" is in the grand tradition of carbon fiber forums. Or as author Patrick O'Brian's character Captain Jack Aubrey would say, "the immemorial custom of the service".

Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
How 'bout "Chimaeri"?
It's Greek, so the proper plural is chimæræ.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Office window... my last office window was from the helm of a commercial boat. It didn't suck, but the whole "retire and set sail by boat or RV" is still my favorite. And, a carbon fiber guitar is a good "travel accessory." You have the guitars, how's the plan for the retiring part?

Sorry for wandering off-topic.
ever notice that all topics wander off at the end. sort of peter off and die. at times the classic topics get revived at times
the evolution of discussion among friends
Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Well, that is just SO cool - two (count 'em - TWO) Chimaeri!

With the occasional question of "Does the wood veneer affect the guitar experience (paraphrasing)?" OMG - yes! It makes you want to play even more! My guess is: there is some kind of addictive agent in the veneer... seriously, I am spending way more time playing. And, when not playing the X20, I look at the X20 while playing the X7! But, it's not a problem... really... I could stop any time... you know, if I really wanted to.

Yes, but one is now gone. Story to come in future NGD. And yes, you are right, the appeal of the look definitely has something to do with wanting to play more...which may lead to playing even better. One can only hope. Even if not, gazing at it will always fill one's visual senses of pure art. Not that the CF look alone is not beautiful...but those veneers...OMG!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
It's Greek, so the proper plural is chimæræ.
Really? Thought it was Irish!? AZ, you are likely correct.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but one is now gone. Story to come in future NGD. And yes, you are right, the appeal of the look definitely has something to do with wanting to play more...which may lead to playing even better. One can only hope. Even if not, gazing at it will always fill one's visual senses of pure art. Not that the CF look alone is not beautiful...but those veneers...OMG!
We'll be waiting to hear "the rest of the story." You can drop a few more hints... we won't tell anyone.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:22 AM

Talking

Quote:
How 'bout "Chimaeri"?

My wife and I are Canadian and retired in early 2012. Later that year I ordered my first amber Chimaera. We had been sailing locally (just a little Catalina 22 cabin boat) with a plan to hone our skills and buy a Gemini 105 catamaran and cruise the Caribbean during winters. Our sailing plan changed, we then planned to buy an RV with Harley in-tow (I bought the Harley...Road King...and rode for two years to get my riding skills back), then when our Cdn $ was at-par with the U.S. buck, we changed our plan again and bought a vacation home in SW Florida that we have enjoyed since. I have been bringing the Chimaera with me (checked baggage in hardshell case). We may still indulge ourselves with sailing and RV/biking plans, time will tell, but we like having a solid southern base from which to play.

I have become greatly smitten with the Emerald cocobolo veneer guitars and could not resist...I have chosen my wood set and have a new 6/12 Chimaera presently in the works! I don't plug in much so the Baggs Lyric in mine didn't get a proper try. I thought I might want a Baggs Anthem SL in a new one, and even thought of a K&K, but although I'd rather not be able to see any electronics, I'll likely be trusting Alistair's decision to install Baggs iMix in "Chimaeri" as his view of the best electronics solution for dealing with the two necks.
How wonderful!!! I will get there some day.... not to push this too far but can't resist... so when you are playing are you "Chimaering"..... Just had to ask... can it be a verb as well??? With all those necks and string ... there is a lot going on...

On a serious note did you go black with your cocobolo veneer ??? That combo took my breath away in the last set of pictures.... Just curious!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
How wonderful!!! I will get there some day.... not to push this too far but can't resist... so when you are playing are you "Chimaering"..... Just had to ask... can it be a verb as well??? With all those necks and string ... there is a lot going on...

On a serious note did you go black with your cocobolo veneer ??? That combo took my breath away in the last set of pictures.... Just curious!!!
Chimaering? Sure...has a ring to it.

Black b&s yes, but not exposed carbon weave which you're likely thinking. Rather, solid gloss black. Most seem to be liking the wood top and exposed carbon combo (whether black or amber). I find them nice, but not to my taste. My amber top Chimaera also had solid gloss black which I loved. A reason I opted for this is because before I had a Chimaera, I had a CA GXi in the tobacco burst/gloss black combo that CA offered back in '08. I sold that guitar to be able to get the Chimaera. For any of you that remember those GXis with that finish, they were stunning. So, I wanted the same b&s for my 'Chimaerae'. Hope I'm not disappointing anyone looking forward to seeing a Chimaera with the wood/black carbon look.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

"Disappointing anyone??" Was there a crowd-funding for this? I have no doubt it will be gorgeous. Of course, I am partial to the wood veneer with the black (CF weave) back and sides. I am all kinds of excited for you.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
"Disappointing anyone??" Was there a crowd-funding for this? I have no doubt it will be gorgeous. Of course, I am partial to the wood veneer with the black (CF weave) back and sides. I am all kinds of excited for you.
Now there's an idea. It's never too late!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Decided to buy a used Taylor 555 from a well respected AGF'er. Enchanted with the Rainsong JM3000, but feels more risky. If I like playing a 12-string as much as I hope to, will consider Emerald X20-12 as a supplement/replacement option (assuming I like my X7 as much as I expect, though it's now past promised delivery date...). Love that I can get a custom scale and neck shape on the Emerald - can't do that with the JM3000 or the Taylor 555 - and all reports here are that tone is wonderful.

Thank you all for your insightful posts and helpful comments - all much appreciated. Will update this thread with initial impressions of the 555, and the call on adding an X20-12 to the mix.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-13-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: confirmed purchase of Taylor 555

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber