The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Options for a battery powered amp? For vocals and instrument

So I currently have a Yamaha threads. Its good for practicing at home, but my friends invited me to play with them outdoors. I will need the amp support, it's mostly going to be at the park and will need to have an input for mic and instrument. How are the Roland's? My budget is about 300, not much I know. Any comments on the cube street by Roland? Also saw a fender passport mini, if anyone has used that comments are appreciated.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sunburst Gear makes a couple different sizes.

http://sunburstgear.com/prod_speaker.html

Lots of great features and good sound. No effects however.

Amazon carries them.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Wow that looks interesting. Have you used it? Do you think that can handle a bass guitar?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM

The effects are not an issue, I have some pedals for those.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
Wow that looks interesting. Have you used it? Do you think that can handle a bass guitar?
They are full range like a PA. I have the smallest one, the M1BR3, and put piano, bass, and drum tracks through it via Bluetooth. Great for practice and would work in a very small room. I'm very happy with it and am considering the M6 model for playing out.

I've also used a battery powered Crate Limo for many gigs. Works well even for small outdoor things like wedding ceremonies. I think those are out of production though.

I currently use a Carvin AG300 for larger rooms. Not battery powered though.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 PM

I've two battery powered units.

The VOX Mini3 watt portable amp. Effects, moderate volume. I know a couple harp players that play thru one.

The Samson XP106w, 100 watt portable PA, with a wireless mic, balanced and unbalanced inputs, aux input and Bluetooth from which you can play music from a phone or other BT enabled doohickey.

We use the Samson at our jams for vocals. Sounds great. $299. Everybody seems to love it. Sometimes I'll run everything thru a Behringer battery powered mixer.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 PM

If you already have an amp, an inverter/battery combo can work with most of them (Amps that is, provided they're not too power hungry -no tube amps). You can get a box for around $130 that'll do the power for 5-6 hours.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Consider the Carvin S600B. It looks like an EXCELLENT option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 02:12 AM

The Carvin 600b will never hit at the $300 budget. If it can by chance, point me that direction. For that money, Id like to try it.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

John - I too use a Carvin AG300 for most jobs but occasionally need battery powered unit for things like wedding ceremonies on beaches, etc. I use a Roland AC-33 for those now but I don't like the sound (often muddy and dull in spite of trying various settings, EQ, etc.). How do you like the overall sound of the Sunburst? Please let me know ASAP as I have a wedding to play on 6/3 and with Amazon Prime I would have to order one today to have it by early next week, giving me time to experiment with it before the job. thanks, Gene
Old 05-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I got one of these for $180 from Sweetwater:

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...P0AVS/Features

Sounds so much better than any of the Roland, Vox, etc. mini amps. Holds a charge forever....
Old 05-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Roland AC-33

I have used a Roland AC-33 for a number of months now in both the "Battery" mode and plugged in. While it clearly doesn't have the sound dynamics of some of my other amps - they don't offer the option of using theirs with AA batteries either! The Roland is a great little amp, good sound and the ability to plug up a vocal mic as well. It runs about $435.00 street. Just my 2 cents...

Martin Custom Shop D-42
Noemi Custom Wedge Ebony and Italian Spruce
Circle Strings Koa Custom OM
Circle Strings Bastogne OM
Gibson 1958 LG-1 Baxendale Conversion
Morin 12-Fret 000 Custom
Lowden O-35 Custom
Taylor 514

"Use what talents you possess:The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best".
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
I currently use a Carvin AG300 for larger rooms. Not battery powered though.
I also play thru an AG300. Great amp, I like it much better than any of the battery powered amps I've tried, so I built an inverter supply for it. The inverter/battery I put together is about 8" by 8" by 14" tall, weighs just under 30 lbs and will power the Carvin for about 8 hours at performance volume on a single charge. Total cost to build was about $200.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

I have a Street Cube I bought 5 or 6 years ago, just to use for small groups where power isn't available. It is surprisingly adequate for that. I use an acoustic on the first channel (set for clean - didn't care for the sound when set for acoustic), add a bit of chorus; mic on the other channel.

Compared to a "real" amp or PA, it sounds pretty thin, but I have played for groups of 80 to 100 in a quiet setting, and it works. Lasts a long time on the 6 AA batteries. Light weight, and seems pretty solid.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

I use a Roland AC-33. Love it. Great sound, reverb, chorus, anti-feedback, and....a great built in looper. You can crank is ALL THE WAY and it's still clean with no speaker or amp distortion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification