The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Languedoc archtop as used by Trey Anastasio of Phish

I haven't really noticed archtops until I got interested in what Trey plays, which is a Languedoc. Wondering if any of you have played such an instrument? They are expensive custom instruments, and now I want one.

From the website: http://www.languedocguitars.com/faq/

Quote:
Most of the curly maple used in bodies is a European variety intended for fine cellos. More exotic woods are getting harder to find consistently, but in any case, tops and backs are carved from solid book-matched plates, as any violin family instrument would be.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM

They are lovely guitars, that's for sure. Not sure I would call them arch-tops as much as hollow or chambered body electric guitars, but that's nit-picking. Using solid maple carved for the top takes it out of the acoustic guitar category, but would be ideal for a performance instrument in a loud band setting. Similar guitars are available from PRS, Gibson makes a chambered Les Paul, Fender makes (or made) chambered Telecasters, and all for the reasons quoted - an "earthier, more organic tone". I made an electric/archtop cross-over guitar, based on a fully chambered (completely hollow inside) mahogany body with a fully carved, tap-tuned and X-braced cedar top, and it has a beautiful electric jazz tone at low volumes, sustains like a solid body guitar, and feeds back like a full body archtop...
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Brian, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of hollow body electric as a category, but as I looked at his website, I can see that's exactly what they are, and are advertised as such. I think that these guitars would have the advantage of being much lighter than a solid body, which sounds like a great thing apart from whatever sound enhancement the 'soundboard' would impart.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
I haven't really noticed archtops until I got interested in what Trey plays, which is a Languedoc. Wondering if any of you have played such an instrument? They are expensive custom instruments, and now I want one.

From the website: http://www.languedocguitars.com/faq/

So much information on 'docs and 'doc copies exists on Phish forums and TGP! You might try a search at TGP as a start. Also look into Equator (issues with timelines and delivery expectation) or Artinger for less expensive, but similar options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops