The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Do I need an acoustic amp?

Is an acoustic amp worthwhile for a non-gigger? I play acoustic guitar quite a bit and do lots of home recording with both electric and acoustic. I am just miking the acoustic with a condenser right now. I'm a bedroom guitar player - don't see gigging in my future? I am thinking about putting a pickup on my acoustic. I've run across a nice amp at good price. What do you think? Do most players have a separate amp for acoustic? - J
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM

I wouldn't say that you "need" an acoustic amp considering you mainly record and play by yourself, but if you are wanting to amplify your acoustic at home then an acoustic amp would be the way to go.

But for recording you definitely don't need an acoustic amp. Adding a pickup to your acoustic guitar can help with getting a better sound recording because you can add a plugged in track along with the mic'd track.

What acoustic amp did you find the good deal on?

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atljogger View Post
...Do most players have a separate amp for acoustic? - J
Hi J...
I do, but I gig twice a week at least. If I were not gigging, or playing in some kind of public setting, what use would there be for an amp?

Recording with condenser mics is the preferred method.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm a home player and I'm currently looking for an acoustic amp. I want the option of plugging in. I think it also depends on your acoustic guitar. Some are not the greatest until you run them through a nice acoustic amp. Hey it's more toys, Right?

What amp are you looking at?

Denny
Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM

There are some very reasonably priced "acoustic" amps out there... If you are using an "electric" amp, you'll be missing out on a lot of the tone (mids / upper) that your acoustic guitar has to offer.

You might watch the classified here.... or check with some of the on-line retailers. Good deals can easily (IMO) be had right now.

Hope this helps,
Taylorplayer
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 AM

for me the only reason to use an amplifier at home is if you re into playing an acoustic guitar with effects (lots of reverb, chorus, e.t.c.). otherwise i 'd save the money for a better guitar ... heck, i don't even use an amp for the electrics at home.

or you could buy a pair of monitor speakers. useful for other things as well, and acoustic guitar would easily sound good through them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification