The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Just wanted to poke in here and add a comment...

In addition to what has already been said about CF guitars, I like the fact that a lot of liberties can be taken with CF design to enhance the ergonomics of "guitar" to make it so much more comfortable to play. I have had my Cargos for a few years now and they are still my "go to" instrument of choice. They are extremely comfortable to play and they sound good. Also, they play the same for me as the day that Marty (The Podium) set them up. I leave one in standard tuning and the other two are changed to various open tunings (the reason I have three identical in every sense, Cargos). I don't need to adjust to a different scale length, neck feel, etc. Picking up one to play is just like the other two except for the tuning.

These instruments simply work for me and I really have no need to continually go looking for something better because these are (for me) already there. At that point, playing overshadows acquiring for me. That has been true since I got them and I see no reason that this would change in the future.

One of the attractions of the acoustic guitar for me is its utter and complete simplicity of form and function. Clearly, there is as much complexity to the playing as a player wants to get, but it is still just six strings and the overall instrument is easy to tune and carry around. For me, the Cargo exemplifies that simplicity by adding the "doesn't need care" factor and it just remains the same year after year regardless of environmental conditions or how it is tuned.

I think much of what I have said here can be applied to any CF guitar, so this isn't really just about the Cargo, but instead about the nature of acoustic guitars and focused on the advantages of CF for these instruments.

Tony
Well put, Tony.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM

I like my CF guitars because they are great conversation starters. Wooden guitars only bring over knowledgeable players, but the C.F. guitars brings players and non-player alike to ask about them.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

I like my Carbon Fiber guitars because they are 'not' made from traditional materials or using traditional processes. Wood is a limited resource at best. Old tone wood trees are disappearing. In many cases these woods are a potential legal burden for builders and players. Non traditional materials like carbon fiber (and others sure to come in the future) hold the promise of making amazing sounding guitars built in form factors that could never be made with wood. These guitars offer build quality and sound quality that wood will never achieve.

I've worked for twenty years in an industry that has grown through evolving technologies. These technologies have inevitably challenged one or more traditional technologies or processes. The inevitable complaining about “warm tone” or “heart and soul” or my favorite “It just doesn't feel like my old (insert technology here) always comes.

It's good to cherish your wood guitars. I know I like each and every one of mine but I'm not blinded by an irrational, emotional attachment to them. To me many of these new, non wood, guitars sound superior to wood. It's OK to acknowledge this. The great tree god in the sky will not strike you down and he may even thank you. Bob Taylor does not have an elite ninja squad ready to come to your house late at night because you just acknowledged that non wood guitars are the future of the guitar and many other instrumentals. No offense Bob. I have no idea of your stance on composite guitars. I just picked your name out of my brain. I do love my four Taylor guitars. Bob Taylor Ninjas (Hmm, interesting idea for a YouTube original show).

Take a lesson from vinyl purists or celluloid film junkies or reel tape enthusiasts and even Kodachrome devotees...Let Go! Don't be afraid to embrace something newer and better. Newer is not always better but, in this case...it is.

Last edited by pjb7669; 02-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Well said!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 AM

+1 on what ac said.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
You may or may not be joking, but I have indeed resorted to my Rainsong to defend my house and family when I discovered a burglar in my living room at 2 AM. But now I have a baseball bat, since I like my Rainsong.

JD
Do they make 12 gauges out of CF ??
Composit Acoustics Vintage Performer
2017 Emerald X20 Opus
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Do they make 12 gauges out of CF ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHUEaTN7ys

Or . . . for the more traditional minded . . .

http://www.advantagetradingpost.com/...un-1727-0.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber