The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Trying Out A Rainsong CO-WS1000N2, My Thoughts And A Couple Questions.

The Rainsong CO-WS1000N2 came in today. I'm liking what I'm hearing. Clear articulate bass response and nice balance along with decent volume. I also like the neck profile. I expected the tone to have more of a plastic sound, but it really doesn't (my first experience with a CF guitar). The only thing I'm concerned with is the action. It measures 4/32" at the 12th fret on the 6th string and just a tad under that on the 1st string. I know many will think this is fine, but I'd like it set at 3/32". It's also a little higher at the 1st fret than I like. I know on some of my wood guitars the tone, sustain and volume is affected when the saddle has been lowered. Will the Rainsong be affected in the same way?

I haven't plugged it in yet. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm also thinking I may like a CO-JM1000N2 even more. I really don't need the cutout and I don't mind larger body guitars. I own a Martin HD-28VS slope shoulder dred and the size doesn't bother me. Has anyone had experience with a Jumbo with a unidirectional top? How do you think a CO-JM1000N2 (If there is such a guitar) would compare to the CO-WS1000N2?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I had a good tech set up my rainsong nice and low and it still give me plenty of tone juice. Just keep the original saddle as a spare just in case you don't like the new set up.

As for the CO Jumbo, I think Ted from La guitar Sales or Macnichol has a custom like that.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

After getting a spare saddle from Rainsong, just in case, I tried my hand at sanding down the original. A little bit goes a long way -maybe 1/8"- and it plays like butter now....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Nice buy... bet it'll sound great plugged in.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 PM

I'm on my third RainSong (after 3 CAs) and think I've settled down :~). In any case, and unlike the CAs, I was easily able to set the action to 3 and 2, 32nds, low/high Es respectively, 12th fret, with no issues what so ever, in all three RainSongs. And I like to really push the volume when soloing at an acoustic jam. Jon
Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Before sanding that saddle down, make sure the relief is set properly. That N2 neck has an adjustable truss rod and it's possible that there's too much relief. If that's the case, a tweak of the truss rod might get your action closer to where you want.

And I would think that 3/32" was very doable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber