The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Pickup Alternatives For Rainsong's

What would be a good pickup system for Rainsong guitars other than the Fishman system? I've talked to several people who said they don't care for the Fishman in Rainsong's. Personally, I have no experience with the Fishman.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 AM

I don't think there's anything special about a RainSong that would lend to one pickup over another. So much depends on what you're trying to accomplish. What is your playing style like? Do you strum or play fingerstyle? What kind of venues and events will you be playing? Is feedback a concern? Do you need on board controls (volume, tone, etc.)?

There are many choices and the solutions that work good on wood guitars are also likely to work well on a RS. Tell us more about your style and needs and we can probably give some more useful advice.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Default My Experience with H and CO RainSongs

I started with an H-DR1100N2 in which I put a Mi-Si Trio. I thought the Mi-Si sounded good, but definitely like a piezo UST, and I could not find an Aura image to clean up what I did not like. I then had a S-OM1000N2 and thought it sounded good but it also had piezo UST artifacts. There were several Aura images that cleaned it up perfectly. I am now playing a CO-DR1100N2 with a Fishman Matrix Infinity. Unless I really whack it very very hard, I don't hear any annoying piezo UST artifacts. I played around with my Aura16 and over many dozens of images did not find any that improved it.

The Hybrid series seems to behave in detail like what I would expect from a wooden guitar, and I recommend a Fishman Matrix Infinity or Prefix+T run through an Aura16, or a K&K mini for simplicity. If the guitar has a concert top (at least the top layer of carbon fabric is unidirectional), I would stick with the stock Fishman Prefix+T, or if you hate barn doors as I do, the Matrix Infinity. My only caveat is I'm looking for a great plugged in tone but don't particularly care if it reproduces exactly what I hear acoustically in my living room. I play out a few times a month, mostly noisy restaurants, and I want my guitar to sound good, but the environment does not justify absolute perfection. Jon
Old 02-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

If I get a shorty I'd consider the lr baggs side-mount stage-pro anthem.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM

I put JJB Prestige pickups (same as K&K Western Mini) in all my guitars, and when I bought my Rainsong dread I didn't hesitate to use the same thing. Sounds great - no quack - don't have the cushion of an UST to mess with the tone.

The carbon fiber is tough stuff, and drilling out the endpin jack hole takes time and a SHARP bit - but it's worth it!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber