The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Default small powered sub

I am looking for a small powered sub with a built in crossover. I probably will use this in tandom with either two SoloAmps or my two powered 15's. This will only be needed when DJing, not for performing. I am really looking for something small and compact, even if I have to buy two of them.

The smallest powered subs I have been able to find so far are still 80+lbs and pretty big and bulky. I have seen a few studio type powered subs, anyone know if they would put out some power and sound in a live setting? Let me know if there is something out there I havent found yet. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM

I had a pair of Sunfire subwoofers that were quite small yet powerful. After ten years, I sold them on eBay for almost 70 percent of the purchase price. I was surprised at how little they depreciated in value which says something about how highly regarded they are.

http://sunfire.com/Sunfire.htm
Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 AM

There's the EV SB2A - only 35 lbs - (23.1" x 16.9" x 12.3")
not a lot of watts, but you could get two and carry them easily
http://electrovoice.com/products/528.html

there's small (24 x 15 x 22.5) but still relatively heavy (77lbs) in the danley th mini sub
1400 watts - one would be the same weight as two evsb2a's
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tappe...ODEL=TH%20MINI

Then there's also the yorkville small powered subs, which are as heavy as the danley, about the same size as the danley, less power than the danley, but they're also less expensive.

You may be better off not limiting yourself to the built in crossover. If you're worried about carrying a bunch of extra gear, you could always get something like a rolls mini crossover- that would fit in the accessory pouch of one of your solo amp bags.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Those sunfire subs look great, a little pricey but if I can pick one up on ebay a little discounted that might work. Also good to know rolls makes a miny crossover, another direction I can look into. Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 AM

I have the Roland Powered sub that Cakes mentioned... KCW-1....picked it up used on eBay really cheap as the seller stuck it in the wrong category to get noticed.

When I have serious parties at my house I use it with my Yamaha 12" PA speakers which are pushed by a Yamaha EMX 640 powered mixer and have used it in a small hall (holds about 150 people) when I played DJ for a friend's 50th birthday. Just set up a good playlist on my iPod, plugged it in and let it rip. Really adds nice depth.

My son uses it with his band for adding bottom to a Korg CX-3 (Hammond B3 emulator) and it really works great, as well as great bottom with his stage piano. Their bass player doesn't alway play with them, so he ends up being the "bass" line on the keys, and it works great!

So it sounds like I use it basically just how you are looking to use one.

Has volume control, adjustable crossover, Footwitch contorl input, both 1/4" and XLR in and passthrough, so you can really shape your sound. 200 watts output.

It is a little heavy - around 50 lbs - basically an 18" cube, but manageable. You can find a PDF of the manual on line....if you have problems, just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Good luck!

1985 Yamaha FG-460S
1985 Yamaha SBG-200
1993 Yamaha APX-SPLII
2001 Yamaha CPX-15SA

Last edited by melikou1; 10-14-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM

now that thing looks just about perfect. I may have to check those out. Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 PM

Roland doesn't supply complete specifications for the KCW-1. Apparently, it has a 10" speaker driven by a 200 watt amplifier but there is no mention of its low frequency capability. The modest, by real subwoofer standards, amplifier suggests to me that its low frequency response is limited.

The Sunfire woofers, depending on the model, have a 10" speaker and passive radiator or 12" speaker only or 12" speaker and passive radiator. The amplifier power varies from 1,500 watts to 2,700 watts and a useable, lower-limit, frequency response of 22 Hz down to 16 Hz depending on the model. That low frequency capability is lower than one would need for a PA system but is great for home theaters or listening to recordings of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture that include a real canon blast if one wanted to use the subwoofer for dual purposes.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
That low frequency capability is lower than one would need for a PA system but is great for home theaters or listening to recordings of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture that include a real canon blast if one wanted to use the subwoofer for dual purposes.
And there is another point, I actually need to add a new sub for my surround sound in my basement, it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. I looked on ebay and there is only one for sale right now. Going to keep an eye out, thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Herb,

Yeah, Roland doesn't bother to put the actual specs on the frequency response in. According to the FR control on the panel, it is adjustable between 30 - 120 hz. Then they have a "bottom" switch which according to the manual can be used:

• When you want to produce special low-frequency sounds in a range beyond what ordinary subwoofers can handle.
• To get the low bass effect at low volume levels.

Not sure what this actually does....sounds like heavy "marketing" talk. I can't remember if I've ever actually used this control....might have been using it all along.

I'm sure the Sunfire is a much better sub.....but the Roland is a decent road-worthy option that I was able to pick up used on eBay at a price that's about 1/3 or less than the price of the Sunfire's that I've seen, and still does a respectable job in home/small venues.

1985 Yamaha FG-460S
1985 Yamaha SBG-200
1993 Yamaha APX-SPLII
2001 Yamaha CPX-15SA

Last edited by melikou1; 10-15-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification