The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

Five Emeralds and no tax/duty. I don't understand why some people get charged and others don't (but I'm not complaining about being in the don't category).
Old 03-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Five Emeralds and no tax/duty. I don't understand why some people get charged and others don't (but I'm not complaining about being in the don't category).
Yes be careful what you say...karma is real!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Only 5? :o)

No charges on my two Emeralds.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:59 PM

No fees here either on several stock and custom build Emeralds. Since GuitaLuva is from the "Great White North" (presumably Canada) there may be different tariff and customs fees than coming to the US. None between US and Ireland to my knowledge.

Thee was a case a couple of years ago where someone here reported customs fees coming into the US at the end of a calendar year, but he filed an appeal. I don't recall any report of the eventual outcome.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I took a pic of the delivery notice that they left on my door that day. I just looked at it again and nearly cried. They nailed me for more than $400 On that slip next to the amount someone wrote the word "customs" in pen. I have the box that my X30 came in stored away in my attic. I'll have a look at it tomorrow as the slip on that box might have better detail on what the actual charges are for. I'm currently leaning more toward GST than customs fees. Either way I got raped by someone and it wasn't enjoyable!
Mine was PST and GST based on the value of the guitar in Canadian funds.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 03-28-2019, 05:07 PM

Default Good old USA

Hey, GL, next time, ship it to one of us in US. We will ship it to you free after multple, very thorough quality inspections by many different caring hands. May take a month or two...

Love the Beech veneer!!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
No fees here either on several stock and custom build Emeralds. Since GuitaLuva is from the "Great White North" (presumably Canada) there may be different tariff and customs fees than coming to the US. None between US and Ireland to my knowledge.

Thee was a case a couple of years ago where someone here reported customs fees coming into the US at the end of a calendar year, but he filed an appeal. I don't recall any report of the eventual outcome.
Good to see you posting, Earl. Not to hijack the thread, but wondering how you are doing after the shoulder surgery? Wishing you fast and complete healing.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

Not really a hack since the question revolves around how long it will be before Earl is back at the carbon fiber. How are you Earl? Keeping an eye on those Emeralds?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good to see you posting, Earl. Not to hijack the thread, but wondering how you are doing after the shoulder surgery? Wishing you fast and complete healing.
Thanks Jim. The surgery went well, and he was able to repair everything that was torn - a better result than he expected going in. And so far less pain than was expected (yay). PT will start in a couple of weeks, and hopefully I can play again by May.

Posting is tricky because my upright time is limited, so not much computer time. Touch screens on the iPad and iPhone don't work well with guitar-calloused fingertips on my left hand. Who knew?

Evan, all five Emeralds are safe but lonely. I was able to play some before the operation, 20-30 minute sessions. Surgery was a.week ago today. Life is challenging when your dominant hand cannot be used for anything.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 PM

Hey glad to hear Earl! You'll be better in no time just thinking about playing guitar (visualize yourself getting there). Glad to hear the pain isn't as bad as expected. You might just find that you play better than ever
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I hope you heal faster than Studioman is getting his guitar ! I know...not funny. Seriously, hope you can be playing sooner than you expect.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey Earl! I’m glad to know that you’re now on the mend, hopefully with ongoing noticeable improvement. I hope that playing guitar will be part of your physio. It’ll take patience, but likely will be worth it. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:08 PM

Thanks all. I told the surgeon that my range of motion goals were a) reaching around to strum my X30, and b) getting that arm to lift the elbow even with the shoulder for tai chi. Anything else is a bonus, but 100% motion would be nice.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Good luck Earl, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Todd in Chicago
Old 03-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update, Earl. I would imagine Alice can play those guitars for you so they don't get lonely... and you can hear them from out front... good incentive for going after that PT! Sending good vibes your way for quick healing, my friend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber