The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM

I enjoyed it and definitely something I would like to see live. Can also imagine that it is not everyone's cup of tea but thanks for posting!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM

I didn't last very long. Not my thing but that's ok. I will say though that is one hella pedal board!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM

It looked like a fine handle on all the pedals. The jumping up and down seemed quite good. The faces bothered me a little seeing as there was precious little that matched the faces coming out of the guitar - but enjoying yourself is always a good idea.

I confess I couldn't get to the end, but what I heard was some of the least interesting music I've heard in a long time. Sorry, but not for me. However, I have no problem with anyone else liking it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM

It's nice to see that people are being allowed to say they don't like this without being reprimanded for being "closed minded" or "negative".
Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Enjoyed it!

Really liked it and the tats as well!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

In my experience she falls into the category of performer where it becomes about them being in their own experience. Not much about bringing the audience into the experience. I enjoyed parts of it but I prefer the art of emotionally communicating and engaging others with the music.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM

If you didn't know what she was doing, and your eyes were closed, would you be as impressed?

It's not a bad song, really. She has an expressive voice.

If she's working in a local bar that won't pay for a band, good for her...more power to her.

But if the exact same music were being played live by a band backing her, would you be as impressed?

To me, it's about the music (doesn't have to be, but it is for me).

Meh...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM

A for enthusiasm, A- for a very expressive voice.....

The rest was very unimpressive looping, other than timing a bunch of very easy stuff to play.

I don't make it to the end, without the video I would have lasted 30 seconds, no great musicianship there, sorry........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM

I'm weird, I know, but I liked it. Would I buy it, no, but then I tend to buy only my very favorite music. If I had a chance to go hear her locally, I absolutely would. It doesn't have to be "my kind of music," broad at that is, for me to enjoy it.

cotten
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
She doesn't do anything for me. And I hate the tats.
First, love the tats. Second, love the performance (maybe I have those reversed).

But, I gotta say, there is something magical about either playing entirely solo or playing with others. Playing with machines, even machines you program on the fly just isn't my thing.

I love Phish, The Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, bands like that. There was always a good chance that they would crash and burn, but there was also a chance that you were going to hear something magical. To me (and this is purely an opinion) there is no magic in playing against a programmed vamp.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Interesting seeing how people feel about tatoos, and although that wasn't the focus of the thread initially, it's one of the strong sub-topics running here, so I'll start there and as it seems to be a very polarizing issue I imagine some will agree with my view and others won't, foregone conclusion.

I really see tattoos as a cross between the new makeup, and also a badge to show people that what they think you are isn't all there is, and all you have to do is look at my tattoos to see who I really am. I'm not me without my tattoos/makeup, and tattoos carry the additional benefit of being really expensive for the elaborate ones, so people can also see that I'm far surpassing the Joneses, especially if they are boring and don't have any tattoos.
Seems like more and more of my friends these days are showing their public worth by spending great sums of money on status symbols, many of whom ironically like to talk about the shallowness of others who do things simply for showing off.

Anyway, as for the jumping around in programmed fashion with all the buttons feels likewise, more of the narcissistic tendencies we're seeing in ever increasing numbers. Some looping performers go deep inside themselves and come up with incredible compositions and some of Kaki Kings' early pieces come to mind. She was totally focused on music whereas performers such as the one in the OP come across as attempting performing art, and as such, valid in its own right, but it carries the accompanying risk of turning into little more than a dancing monkey; a gimmick devoid of anything much more than a dance number.

Unfortunately this performer is presented in an awkward light, as the OP lets us know that if we can't do this, then we're no longer valid. Anyone ever go and watch a highly accomplished classical guitarist and become mesmerized at their skills? I have. I also love watching someone like Steve Vai combine the two elements of performance and excellence on the instrument.

Bottom line is that this performer was very annoying for me and had "look at me, look at me" written all over her self-satisfied faces and movements, probably having been egged on by her family and friends for years. Talented to be sure, but not a performance I'd care to see again.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Interesting seeing how people feel about tatoos, and although that wasn't the focus of the thread initially, it's one of the strong sub-topics running here, so I'll start there and as it seems to be a very polarizing issue I imagine some will agree with my view and others won't, foregone conclusion.

I really see tattoos as a cross between the new makeup, and also a badge to show people that what they think you are isn't all there is, and all you have to do is look at my tattoos to see who I really am. I'm not me without my tattoos/makeup, and tattoos carry the additional benefit of being really expensive for the elaborate ones, so people can also see that I'm far surpassing the Joneses, especially if they are boring and don't have any tattoos.

Seems like more and more of my friends these days are showing their public worth by spending great sums of money on status symbols, many of whom ironically like to talk about the shallowness of others who do things simply for showing off.

Anyway, as for the jumping around in programmed fashion with all the buttons feels likewise, more of the narcissistic tendencies we're seeing in ever increasing numbers. Some looping performers go deep inside themselves and come up with incredible compositions and some of Kaki Kings' early pieces come to mind. She was totally focused on music whereas performers such as the one in the OP come across as attempting performing art, and as such, valid in its own right, but it carries the accompanying risk of turning into little more than a dancing monkey; a gimmick devoid of anything much more than a dance number.

Unfortunately this performer is presented in an awkward light, as the OP lets us know that if we can't do this, then we're no longer valid. Anyone ever go and watch a highly accomplished classical guitarist and become mesmerized at their skills? I have. I also love watching someone like Steve Vai combine the two elements of performance and excellence on the instrument.

Bottom line is that this performer was very annoying for me and had "look at me, look at me" written all over her self-satisfied faces and movements, probably having been egged on by her family and friends for years. Talented to be sure, but not a performance I'd care to see again.

I posted this because it was interesting. The sub title was written tongue in cheek. People who focus on acoustic music, or who are older, might not know that this is going on in music.

The fact that she made it to NPR shows she has some special abilities. And, I agree that it is primarily music as performance art, if we want to give it a category.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Meh, not for me. Impress with the fingers and the strings, not with buttons and knobs
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post

Summary: Self expression is narcissism.

I couldn't disagree more.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM

I really appreciate what she is able to do but that's not my kind of music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion