The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architar View Post
Really putting in time learning to play without a pick, but dearly miss the sound of a a crisply picked note palmed at the saddle (with the heel of the hand) and quickly released...you know, that subtle blossoming without the initial attack. Any tips (or videos) showing how palm muting can be incorporated without using a pick?

Thanks much.
Does any of this sound like/fit what you're looking to accomplish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIppawJxng

HE
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Interesting, I would find it harder to mute with a pick (or get that muted harmonic for a lack of a better term), I've been finger style for most of my time playing guitar (40 years),

H

It depends what side of the equation you are coming from, as others have stated, its just a matter of practice and adjustment of technique that will get you there,
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 PM

Then answer to the "crisp" sound you're looking for is right here:

Get down your finger style without them first. Then, hit your favorite music store and pick up a plastic thumb pick and a couple of Dunlop/National 0.013 metal fingerpicks. The 0.013 size can be easily molded to fit the shape of your fingertips.

It will take a couple of months, probably, to get used to them. But once you do, there's no going back!

Bill
Old 11-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Chet Atkins is another master of this technique.

I place the heel of my palm on the saddle to dampen my bass notes and when I want a similar effect on higher notes I'll either lift my fingers slightly off the fret an instant after hitting the note.
I thought of Chet too when I first saw this question. OP - listen to the essurance commercials for an example.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM

try playing a live loud event without the ability to palm mute...to be honest I do both pick, finger style and when playing my bass slap . how do you play with out muting with both hands ? how do you get up in front of big amps and not use palm muting would be my question.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I just bumped into the palm muting using fingerstyle accidentally on my own and it makes a world of difference. I don't have it near to being mastered, but already it is making a big difference in my sound.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Great thread.

I'm self-taught so, for good and for ill, I fingerpick - all 5 bare fingers - and I palm mute. I also mute in other ways with both hands. Especially comes in handy when working in open tunings. With slide. Or when you're playing live & amplified and you need to get through the song but control a string(s) feeding back!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 11-14-2014, 07:32 PM

you should look into the string blocking lesson by Michael Angelo batio.. but I warn you .you may never see the guitar the same after a few of his lessons.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:08 PM

Sounds like the "staccato" technique . . . one of my favs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write