The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM

"Your style is not supposed to be something that you decide upon"... I do disagree with this. most of my style was thought up in my mind or parts taken from others. then an instrument bought to accommodate that style. the first was when I first heard Yes. I was playing blues , rock and country (Texas music) on a telecaster bass. well that bass did not allow for the inspirations and visions That yes put in my mind. I bought a rick. then in the neo- classical speed metal days I had one custom made for speed and intonation ( a extra long scale with close string placement a inch and 1/4 nut ) all the way up the neck to the 26th fret..it has two extra frets for that extra a. as we were in a minor a lot . still have that bass not playing it much it is old but I have plans on reviving it. in college which is where I took classical guitar once again the influence on my style was a pre thought and planed out decisions. second semester the jazz teacher made me learn jazz guitar because he liked my speed and solos and wanted that on the guitar. well that was a style modification added by someone else again not a natural occurrence. back in the speed days I learned picking tec. from Michael Angelo Batio., again planed. Then watching his video's planted a seed for one of my latest modification to my style the double neck bass and six which I play as one instrument not 2 ..and I have a vision for the harp guitar...that is also planed. My sound is a thought out search for tone and technique . I did forget to add( among many others like my slap bass journey) the 2 years I took flamenco guitar and half a year of flamenco dancing just to understand fully flamenco guitar. and the trips to educate my self in folk music. like to Miami to understand afro-Cuban. all planed influences on my style.

Last edited by EoE; 11-13-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
"Your style is not supposed to be something that you decide upon"... I do disagree with this. most of my style was thought up in my mind or parts taken from others. then an instrument bought to accommodate that style. the first was when I first heard Yes. I was playing blues , rock and country (Texas music) on a telecaster bass. well that bass did not allow for the inspirations and visions That yes put in my mind. I bought a rick. then in the neo- classical speed metal days I had one custom made for speed and intonation ( a extra long scale with close string placement a inch and 1/4 nut ) all the way up the neck to the 26th fret..it has two extra frets for that extra a. as we were in a minor a lot . still have that bass not playing it much it is old but I have plans on reviving it. in college which is where I took classical guitar once again the influence on my style was a pre thought and planed out decisions. second semester the jazz teacher made me learn jazz guitar because he liked my speed and solos and wanted that on the guitar. well that was a style modification added by someone else again not a natural occurrence. back in the speed days I learned picking tec. from Michael Angelo Batio., again planed. Then watching his video's planted a seed for one of my latest modification to my style the double neck bass and six which I play as one instrument not 2 ..and I have a vision for the harp guitar...that is also planed. My sound is a thought out search for tone and technique . I did forget to add( among many others like my slap bass journey) the 2 years I took flamenco guitar and half a year of flamenco dancing just to understand fully flamenco guitar. and the trips to educate my self in folk music. like to Miami to understand afro-Cuban. all planed influences on my style.
Yeah. I understand completely what you are saying. I still think that there is an element of confusion as to what I understand by your references to 'Style'.
I think that style might ( in the OP's context ) be more accurately described as ' Individuality '. What do I mean ? Well, you could argue that style refers to such things as Folk, or Metal, or Classical, or Pop for examples. But within those styles ( which I would tend to call genres ) there is much scope for individuality in the way one plays.
Why would anyone prefer one classical guitarist over another, given that they are playing the same prescribed notes, at similar tempos, on classical guitars ? To me, the answer lies within the individual expression of those notes, and that is what I think the whole discussion hinges on. Individual expression is ( I think ) what PasorSteve was alluding to when he suggested developing your own style.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:25 PM

In fact, on re-reading, what PastorSteve said was " Develop YOUR own sound" But that doesn't influence what I am trying to say. To me it means pretty much the same thing.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:10 PM

My individual expression/style/sound is a preplanned result of years devoted to achieving the music that is in my mind .. the instrument does have to be the right one for what I am trying to achieve. but the whole of what I am has to do with and is a preplan .. I really never thought of it till now. I can not think of much that was not conceived and planed in my mind first. then a way to express that sought out. one thing that is a part that makes me different is the ability to use crazy vibrato with any fingers on both hands when ever I want it and I doo it with almost every note. that was planed. I actually do it with out thinking now. no matter how short the note.

Last edited by EoE; 11-13-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 AM

I really enjoyed PastorSteve's original post. I feel that there is a lot of merit and insight contained within that first post. After reading through some of the comments, I suspect that some people are teasing apart that post a bit too verbatum (i.e. as if an attorney reading a contract) at the expense of missing out on the overall point.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to playing my 16 guitars....
Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
...... - the only reason anyone would use Elixir strings is to help hide their bad technique, and if they just played better they would not use them. Pretty laughable considering, but enough time wasted.
Holy crap......why am I JUST NOW hearing of these strings?!?

Now I need to try these strings......for I have plenty of "bad technique" to try and hide.......
Old 11-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I suck at golf. I played in a couple company leagues, enjoyed it and even took lessons. I was just bad.

I had a cheap Sunday set of Spalding clubs.

I was out one morning for an early round and a regular paired up with me.

We were talking and I bemoaned my cheap clubs.

He walked over, took one of my clubs out from my bag, stuck the ball on the green a putt away from the cup. He handed me the club and said "its not the clubs"

He wasn't arrogant or condescending either. Just matter-of-fact.

I was not offended - I took it as a great coaching moment.
I get the lesson, but honestly it's incredibly easier to progress and reach a level of competence where the game can be enjoyed with a modern game improvement iron, over a 40 year old Spalding, or the like.

Back to your regularly scheduled program....
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write