The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Character, or No Character
Character 11 14.29%
No Character 66 85.71%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I think it's hard to make the argument that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Just by the fact that guitars with "character" are always going to be discounted compared to guitars of the same year and model, that are pristine.

To me it does matter, and I prefer character greatly. The funny thing is, my style does really create that much character, but I like it. So it's great to have it already done for me

My first guitar was an old beatup gibson, I still have it and love it. I think that's why i feel the way I do about worn guitars.

You can't say that "EVERYONE" prefers pristine guitars though, because that's not true
I'm sorry the poll clearly says otherwise.
It's hypothetical, HYPOTHETICAL. Why don't you get that ?

Dan
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Man! Sounds like Dan runs a stupid poll with a pre-destined outcome in his mind and then doesn't like the detailed answers he gets.

Dave;

The vote clearly proves my point, ones that don't agree, want to change the parameters. How convenient. 5 to 1 say character marks do matter.
I'm not upset with responses, I'm simply showing them that they want to change the rules. I said IDENTICAL. NO WIGGLE ROOM.
Why do you say Dan, instead of You. It's like you are standing facing a crowd or lynch mob. "Bart says he will give us free credit scores, then charges us later". Who says everyone is on your side. "DAVE" thinks he has all the answers. See how dumb that sounds. I would simply say, YOU think you have all the answers.

Dan
Old 11-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
We are talking specifically to a phenomenon that shows up on guitars, that many say does pot distract from their opinion of the guitar, I say Bull Crap it does matter. It has nothing to do with cars or anything else. The poll is not flawed. People just want to justify their clumsy handling of their equipment. IT DOES MATTER. People here keep harping scratches are Character marks, and mean nothing.
Now put up or shut up. If it doesn't bother you why would the poll be flawed. People talk the talk, but when it comes down to it. Character is not desirable.
You will accept it, IF THEY LOWER THE PRICE. I think this definitively proves my point, just the detractors have no wiggle room now. IT DOES MATTER.
Learn proper technique, and economy of motion, and respect for your equipment. Problem solved.

Dan

Dan,

I completely agree 100% that a scratched (or whatever) guitar is less desirable. I don't believe in "mojo" or relic-ing or anything.

My point was that your poll steered people automatically toward the pristine guitar (well maybe that was what you were proving).

Maybe another way would be to say this:

"You say you love mojo and character? Well you just bought a brand new D45. Here's an icepick, scratch it up".

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Cool Guitar Character?

I would like to see how many would select "character" but ONLY with a suitable price reduction.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry the poll clearly says otherwise.
It's hypothetical, HYPOTHETICAL. Why don't you get that ?

Dan
The poll doesn't say otherwise actually 7 people voted for character

I'm not arguing that MOST people prefer character. I'm just saying some do, and all you say is that we're lying to ourselves. Oh ok.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Dan,

I completely agree 100% that a scratched (or whatever) guitar is less desirable. I don't believe in "mojo" or relic-ing or anything.

My point was that your poll steered people automatically toward the pristine guitar (well maybe that was what you were proving).

Maybe another way would be to say this:

"You say you love mojo and character? Well you just bought a brand new D45. Here's an icepick, scratch it up".
I didn't steer anyone anywhere. I gave them 2 choices with parameters, many say those marks don't matter, I don't believe that.
You are welcome to disagree with my point.
I think you fall into that "it does matter", but I will never admit it. JMHO

Dan
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

OP could be describing me.

Another member of this forum and I both bought used, recent vintage D35s the same week, and from the same source. I don't know if he looked at mine, but I certainly looked closely at his. His was pristine, while mine has plenty of "mojo" above and below the strings.

Mine was *damaged* by carelessness (head crack, side crack) and a heavy-handed pick. The cracks were professionally repaired. If you want to call it mojo, that's fine. I call it wear and damage, which made it more realistic for me to buy.

Mine was over $700 less than the pristine one, due to the damage. I seriously considered the pristine one, but decided to go with saving money instead. That was almost enough to pay for my pristine used Taylor.

I wouldn't have even considered it if it had been the same money for both.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Or the pristine one could be underpriced.

Like I said earlier. Some kinds of wear can look great, a well worn guitar looks better to me. So yes, I would choose the worn guitar.

Just for an example. The picture down below, to me, is a gorgeous guitar. I would choose that over a pristine example every time even if it was the same price. A pristine example just doesn't look as good to me. I am drawn to that kind of thing

The fact that a guitar like this is usually cheaper than an example of the same model in pristine condition is just an added benefit to me. Obviously I'm in the minority though

This is a pretty typical example of a guitar with years of use, not abuse. If it sounded good and I had the cash in hand when I came across it I'd be all over it. For all the constant debate over opening up I'd wager this thing is wide open.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 PM

I chose a pristine guitar when I bought my D-35. I didn't want one that had the hell beat out of it by some careless player. I take care of my guitars and want them to look nice for as long as possible. I can't figure out for the heck of me how some guitars get so abused. I strum like a mad man and never scratch my pick guard or guitar.

Willy Nelson really should invest in a new guitar don't ya think ?? Mojo my azzzz, that thing is just about garbage and ready for a bonfire.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Dave;
The vote clearly proves my point, ones that don't agree, want to change the parameters. How convenient. 5 to 1 say character marks do matter.
I'm not upset with responses, I'm simply showing them that they want to change the rules. I said IDENTICAL. NO WIGGLE ROOM.
Why do you say Dan, instead of You. It's like you are standing facing a crowd or lynch mob. "Bart says he will give us free credit scores, then charges us later". Who says everyone is on your side. "DAVE" thinks he has all the answers. See how dumb that sounds. I would simply say, YOU think you have all the answers.
Dan
You present a flawed hypothetical slanted to draw a certain response, but then use that response to support an entirely different position than the hypo. The real world, no two guitars identical, is going to mess with your hypo. The closest to the real world you could get is if you said two new guitars of identical model, price, sound, etc. THAT could happen. Two identical used guitars is highly unlikey.

Or if you wanted to prove that, all things equal, unscratched is better, sure - scratches for the sake of scratches are not valued by most of us. OK? I can admit that. But I don't think that is quite what you're getting at.

Sorry...
Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Buy the clean one. The scratched up one obviously doesn't have the character you want or you would have already bought it.

Send it to me, along with a check for $2,500 and a detailed letter of exactly what kind of character you would like added.

I will play the guitar, thus seasoning it and playing it in, and also adding the amount and degree of character you require.

In two years (because that is how long it takes to play in a guitar and add character to it), I will send it back and guarantee that I had it for two years, played it and sent it back to you with my character added.

References upon request.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't steer anyone anywhere. I gave them 2 choices with parameters, many say those marks don't matter, I don't believe that.
You are welcome to disagree with my point.
I think you fall into that "it does matter", but I will never admit it. JMHO

Dan
Huh?

That doesn't make sense. Yes I am squarely in the "it does matter" camp. Why would I not admit it? I post about it all the time, even in the sentence you quoted.

I am not disagreeing with your point.. Again, you are misunderstanding me.

I agree with your point.

I disagree with the *WAY* you made your point. Not what the content of your point is. I disagree that the way poll was worded.

I'm sorry but on posts and text things get lost sometimes. Not sure where the disconnect was.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Huh?

That doesn't make sense. Yes I am squarely in the "it does matter" camp. Why would I not admit it? I post about it all the time, even in the sentence you quoted.

I am not disagreeing with your point.. Again, you are misunderstanding me.

I agree with your point.

I disagree with the *WAY* you made your point. Not what the content of your point is. I disagree that the way poll was worded.

I'm sorry but on posts and text things get lost sometimes. Not sure where the disconnect was.
Whatever, I think if you take the poll as it is intended you get my point. You can analyze down to the last word, be my guest.
Dan
Old 11-27-2014, 01:35 PM

No two guitars sound exactly alike.

If they did though, I'd buy the one that was cleaner (for resale value).

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
No two guitars sound exactly alike.

If they did though, I'd buy the one that was cleaner (for resale value).
I should start a poll about how many people buy a guitar with resale value in mind. It is not something I give much, if any, thought to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion