The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Hog top Taylor question.

Interested in an all hog or hog top smallish guitar. Any of you have hands on experience of both the Taylor 322 and 522? Is the 5 really worth and extra $750, tone and playing wise (I'll give you looks on the 522.)

Just curious, new to Taylor and not sure how the models differ in tone, beyond the use of different b/s woods. My HV GS Mini sounds way better than it should, so that is adding to my interest.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Default OK, then ...

... would either be truly better (in tone, of course) than Guild's M-120?
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but the best thing would be to try them both and see what YOU think. It's hard for us to make that choice for you.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatkin View Post
Is the 5 really worth and extra $750, tone and playing wise
It's hard to predict how much a given tonal difference is "worth" to another player, regardless of how subtle or profound the difference is.

I can say that the 522 sounds spectacular to my ears, but it costs more than I would want to spend, given that I prefer a more traditional mahogany tone, such as that found in the Martin 15-series.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM

I've played both and now own the 322. I was looking for something relatively inexpensive, that looked good, and that played and sounded outstanding. Couldn't see spending the extra money for the 5 but would understand if someone else did.

To me they sound very, very similar.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM

You mention small, so another considerably cheaper option is the mahogany GS Mini. I have one and love it.

Most folks think that once you get to the 300 series and up the only difference in the Taylors is the bling, so you probably won't hear much difference between the 322 & 522.

Good luck with it and Happy Thanksgiving.
Joe
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interested in an all hog or hog top smallish guitar. Any of you have hands on experience of both the Taylor 322 and 522? Is the 5 really worth and extra $750, tone and playing wise (I'll give you looks on the 522.)

Just curious, new to Taylor and not sure how the models differ in tone, beyond the use of different b/s woods. My HV GS Mini sounds way better than it should, so that is adding to my interest.
I was able to play both a Taylor 322 and a Martin 000-15SM - you should too. It depends on which hog sound you like better. I never played a 522, but I bet it sounds great. Before you make a decision, try to play both Taylors, and the Martin 000-15SM.

BTW, I've played a few Taylor GS minis and they sound more like they were made by Martin than by Taylor - they have a more "woody" sound to them where the full bodied Taylor's have a more piano like quality to their tone - IMHO.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

When I want shopping recently, I found the 322 to be the first Taylor I could see myself owning. Ended up 2nd to the Martin 00 15 custom I lucked into.

The hog top on the 322 mitigated the signature Taylor tone I don't care for.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 PM

How in the world can you keep the hog from squealing whenever you use a pick or your fingers? Kinda messy too.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a GS Mini hog. Aside from that, I definitely strongly identify more with other brands than Taylor.... Until I played the 322 this summer. I'd be proud to own it; it sounded great.

But also make sure to check out the Martin 000-15 or 0000-15. There are enough of them around, and they are **** fine guitars too.. The Taylor is a heavier guitar... About 15-20% heavier; check sweetwater's site and you'll see.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 11-26-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 PM

I got the 522-12 fret because it was a short scale 12 fret. But I wasn't even considering a hog Taylor until I played the 322e. Absolutely loved the 322 which sent me up the food chain.

I still wonder: was the 12-fret short scale a worthy upgrade over a cheaper guitar with electronics? I don't have to wonder long. Yes, it was. I am so happy with my 522, but that 322 left a mark. A really nice guitar. Wish I could have bought both!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:27 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:

I just happened to play a 522e and a 322 just a couple of days ago. They are both very comfortable to play. I love the short-scale necks on these guitars. Just about the easiest guitars to play you could ask for. The 522e sounded much, much better to me. I still wouldn't choose it over a Gibson, but that's my personal hangup that I throw in there to let you know why I didn't buy it: it wasn't because I thought the Taylor guitars were bad per se. I don't remember exactly what the differences were unfortunately, only that I had a general impression that the 522 was much better sounding. I feel strongly that you are not just paying for extra bling with a 522 over a 322, there's a reason beyond that for the price difference. If the money is not an issue, get the 522. You'll almost certainly be happier in the long run.

The usual caveat must be repeated here: you have to play them yourself to truly know which one suits you best. My opinion is based on my perspective and will be different from your perspective. Even different guitars of the very same make and model can sound different. It's not like buying a computer where they are all the same in a given model number. Guitars are not your typical commodity—each and every one is a unique individual unto itself.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Thanks, everyone ...

for all the info. I'm one of those who lives a good 300 miles away from any dealer, so when and if this happens if will probably be an internet purchase. I'm so happy with my HV GSM, online ordered, of course, from Taylor, that some of the "I haven't played it!" fear has been lessened. Could be a good while before I actually buy a new guit, but I am truly interested in the size and materials of the 322/522. Maybe I can make a trip out of the desert (yes, my guitar cases all have three different humidifier systems in them) before the buying bug bites too deeply.

Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 PM

The 322 and 522 are both great guitars. In my opinion, the 522 is worth the extra money, if you can comfortably swing it. The 522 is all mahogany, whereas the 322 is mahogany top with sapele back & sides. The sapele brings more brightness to the tone which works fine for fingerstyle, but when strummed with a pick, gets a little too much for me of that bright tone so characteristic of the Taylor sound. I do like the relatively light weight of the satin finish on the 322, while the 522 gloss finish weighs it down just a bit. Still, when compared side-by-side in my store, I find the 522 to be warmer and richer than the 322.

As someone else mentioned, despite Taylor's proven consistency, they still do vary a bit from one to another, even within the same model.
McPherson Redwood/EIR #1
McPherson Redwood/EIR #2
Breedlove MasterClass Custom Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo
Taylor Custom GA Redwood/Maple
Taylor Custom GA Cedar/Maple
Taylor T5Z Pro
Yamaha A3R
Gurian Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood
Line 6 Variax 700
VoyageAir VAOM-06
VoyageAir VAOM-1C
Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Well, funny you post this. I am in the market as well, and have been fortunate to have a good shop close by. While i really want a 12fret, I tried the 322, 522 (12fret) and the M522 guitar center exclusive.

While the M522 looks the best in my opinion, I did not like the sound that much and its too similar in feel to my martin 000.

So the 322 and 522. For me I dont think the 522 looks better or worse than the 322. While I am biased to the 522 because I want a 12fret, I do thing the tone is more even, and sounds more full than the 322.

Its very likely that I will be owning a 522 tomorrow. I dont think you can go wrong with a 322, but for me, the 522 is worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion