The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgiants View Post
Ah! Brilliant. Didn't even cross my mind (can you tell I'm no luthier!). This is a very very very good point.
But, you are not afraid to voice you opinion, that is a plus... A lot of serious development in almost many industries was not the original intent of the inventor. Reflective paint was "invented" by a janitor... In my opinion there is o such thing as a bad idea... We can all learn something from anyone...
Old 11-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I've worn frets down on a new guitar. It took about 10 years. I had it refretted with SS and it's a nice upgrade because the steel doesn't oxidize or get gummed up as much as standard frets, so sliding is easier and more predictable as there's less drag.

Paying an extra $100 for SS on a big refret / Plek job now is a good investment for me, because I will probably never need another (meaning less $ over time and less time spent without my guitar while it's in the shop).
Old 11-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

On a guitar I play a lot, with standard fretwire I get visible divots (especially at the second string over the first few frets) within a few months. Hate that. On the other hand, I get no wear even after several years with stainless steel fretwire. What's not to love.

Hear is an example of a guitar of mine after several years play on stainless steel - months old crummy dirty strings though.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-26-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgiants View Post
One other thought that it doesn't seem anyone's mentioned yet - is there, or might there be, a difference in feel? Small changes in materials often result in tiny but noticeable changes in the way a guitar feels. As an example for electric guitar, I prefer a rosewood fretboard to maple. And it's not aesthetic (I actually like the way a maple fretboard looks bgetter.) But there's a slight softness or something that I notice and prefer on the rosewood. I would assume that a different density fretwire would very possibly be noticeable too. Anyone have experience with this?
for me, i find that stainless steel brings a bit more brightness to the tone and has a smoother, slicker feel when bending. the neck feels somehow more "denser". it's natural though. stainless steel can be heavier then the current choices.

ceramic is interesting but maybe not practical. you would have to mold it fit fretboard curvature. after sales servicing might be a pain in terms of repair if there is some wear or chipping. installation of the frets would need careful work. overall imo maybe not the most robust thing i suspect. maybe someone, somewhere has done it. i think it would take considerable development and a rethink of guitar fretwork in general in terms of using wood for the fretboard. maybe it could work with a carbon fiber fretboard.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I've been pondering this question recently as well. I was thinking ceramic might be an interesting material. A manufacturer could provide it to luthiers in pre-cut lengths. Anythoughts on ceramic for a fret material?
There are crystal frets: http://www.crystalfrets.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Crystalfrets
Old 11-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm heavy on frets (seemingly bad technique as I'm noy gigging every night).

I have a '99 Collings that has been refretted twice - last time - EVO frets and so far (about two years ago - no discernible fretwear -- BUT at first I found that the guitar seemed extra bright with a rathre hard attack - now I don't notice it.

I have another guitar that needs a partial refret (don't like low frets) and asked about SS - spoken to two luthiers - they tried to deter me. Both told me more difficult to work, tool damage etc., plus "some people really don't like the feel/sound" etc.

Currently pondering whether to havea partial refret with normals or a total with EVO frets.

I don't mind the gold colour against ebony.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Gas

Frets are made soft to encourage you to buy and play more guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion