The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What strings should I try next on my Rosewood Dreadnought?
GHS Phosphor Bronze - Light 3 7.69%
GHS Signature Bronze - True Medium (current strings) 1 2.56%
GHS White Bronze - Light 1 2.56%
John Pearse 80/20 - New Medium 20 51.28%
John Pearse Bronze & Silk - Light/Med 1 2.56%
Martin Retro - Light 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sorry Ed, my fault, I was more focused on your guitar being Sitka over EIR, in which case I probably wouldn't have picked any of the strings in your selection.
I love Monels on Mahogany but not so much on Rosewood and I really like NB's on almost everything else.
Oh, no worries at all Bruce! I appreciate and value your feedback.

Thanks for the 'Monels on Mahogany but not on Rosewood' opinion. Interesting. I've tried the Monels once (on my ladder braced Sitka/Honduran Harmony built Regal Jumbo), and wasn't crazy about them (though I may not have given them enough time).

I've never gotten along with D'Addarrio strings (hence, I have none of hand )

Thanks again to you, and to everyone for the feedback.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I have tried many, many string brands, composition, size, etc, and have a favorite. I used to use medium gauges 13-56, but have since morphed to the 12-53 ish sizes. Favorite brand is John Pearse phosphor bronze. My 2 cents, but my point is I have still about 15 packs of strings, all brands, and will still experiment!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM

I put Martin Tony Rice Monels on my 2004 HD28 and really like them. I know a lot of people say not on Sitka/Rosewood but as was said there my ears. You just need to try them they might sound good to you to.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Guest3224

I'd vote other if it were an option. Can't stand JP strings. Stiff and very thin. Can't understand why they carry the premium on price.
Martin strings are thin sounding. Good and cheap for a beater guitar.

D'Addario, IMO.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 PM

I’m fond of GHS as of late so that would be my choice with a strong second place to the daddarios.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the votes, and for the feedback.

I am taking the guitar in to my tech today to have him install the Lyric, and, following the results of the poll, I'm going to have him install the Pearse 80/20 strings. Also, on the next string change, I will go with the Retros.

I'll report back here with my impressions. Thanks again for participating.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Guest316

I voted Pearse Eighty Twenties! John Pearse strings have a great sound, although in my experience when I used them on my Gibson they didn't last very long. Notwithstanding, that first 14 days with Pearse made the ol' guitar sound mighty, mighty special.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I voted Pearse Eighty Twenties! John Pearse strings have a great sound, although in my experience when I used them on my Gibson they didn't last very long. Notwithstanding, that first 14 days with Pearse made the ol' guitar sound mighty, mighty special.
I've used those strings on one of my Yairis. And yes, for the first two weeks- wow. After two weeks- time for a string change. I believe that's the nature of 80/20's. YMMV.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-10-2017, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Thanks for the votes, and for the feedback.

I am taking the guitar in to my tech today to have him install the Lyric, and, following the results of the poll, I'm going to have him install the Pearse 80/20 strings. Also, on the next string change, I will go with the Retros.

I'll report back here with my impressions. Thanks again for participating.
For those who have followed this thread, here's my promised follow-up comparing the Pearse 80/20 and the Martin Retros.

John Pearse 80/20 'New Med' gauge (310NM):
These strings had a good "ring" and fine articulation right out of the shoot. Brightness was noticeable but not bracing, but the string volume was below average. I found the strings to have a stiff feel (especially the gauge 13 and 17 unwound strings). The set's attractive ring and pleasant brightness seemed to disappear after a week of steady playing. Overall a decent set of strings on this guitar, that had good warmth, but seemed to lack volume & power. These were on the guitar for three weeks, and probably should have been changed out sooner. Overall I'd give them a B-.

Martin Retro Lights (MM12):
Wow...Just wow! Now this is what I'm talking about. By far this is the best these strings have performed on any of my guitars. For the first hour of play time these had an almost overwhelming sizzle to them, but after that, everything fell in place beautifully! Huge volume increase over the Pearse 80/20...Huge. These strings seem to combine power, balance, woodiness and articulation beautifully on this guitar. In addition, they display wonderful, warm overtones, and have an outstanding feel. Exceptional performance strummed (rattling the windows and shaking the walls!), fingerpicked, and flatpicked. Delicious...a "solid A".

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 11-10-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: fixed some typos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion