The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Pussywillows, Cat-tails" by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

I put this video up on YouTube some time ago but have never started a thread on this song. "Pussywillows, Cat-Tails" is one of those songs that I loved the first time I heard it. And I have been playing this song for probably 50 years now.

I noticed recently that my rendition of this song on YouTube has garnered a fair number of views, so I thought folks might like a tutorial on how I play this song. That tutorial was done this afternoon and is below:

Once again, thanks for listening -- I hope you like these two videos.

- Glenn
Old 10-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Wonderful Glenn! Love your tutorials....I learn stuff each time........the EM9th is haunting and would immediately "set me off" in finding something to compose/explore! The reason, I suspect, that I don't have many cover songs in my arsenal! LOL!
Truly enjoy your personality and knowledge with these tutorials....you give a nice sense of the guy behind the videos.....SUPER!

Enjoy the day,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wonderful Glenn! Love your tutorials....I learn stuff each time........the EM9th is haunting and would immediately "set me off" in finding something to compose/explore! The reason, I suspect, that I don't have many cover songs in my arsenal! LOL!
Truly enjoy your personality and knowledge with these tutorials....you give a nice sense of the guy behind the videos.....SUPER!

Enjoy the day,
Fred
Thanks for taking the time to watch the tutorial, Fred! It's so very rewarding to see your comments here!

Interesting about your comment about learning something; my own experience is that even after playing for so many years, I find that I can learn something new from another guitar player by taking the time to absorb their knowledge. We each see the instrument in a different way, and it seems that we each have our own way of understanding it.

I did this video a fair number of times to try to improve on it. I didn't want to read from a script, but I needed to boil the information down so that I could pass on what I thought was important and yet do it without wasting too much time. At the same time, a person does not want to come across sounding rushed. I'm not a guitar teacher, so the idea of breaking down what I do to teach others is a new thing for me, so I am very much on the steep part of the learning curve on these tutorials. I do so much on the guitar intuitively that it takes me some effort to learn to describe to others what I am doing.

It really does help to have a 2nd and 3rd camera to allow me to zoom into the right and left hands during the discussion. Also, I have found that in watching other tutorials, I don't like seeing the teacher disappear. So I edited this so that when I was talking to the viewer, my face was often in there making contact.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and comment here, Fred. It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 10-07-2017, 02:38 PM

Nice work Glenn, many thanks for sharing
Old 10-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefobe View Post
Nice work Glenn, many thanks for sharing
Thank you Marcus! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Excellent Glenn.Both song and tut.
I used to have that on an old vinyl album.Now you've made me realise how old it was!Thanks for the great memory jog.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi FB,

Yes, I have Pussywillows, Cat-Tails on an old LP, also. It goes way back!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2017, 03:02 AM

Bravo. Well done

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 10-08-2017, 05:37 AM

Thank you for the song Glen. I am a beginner in finger-style and the tutorial was beneficial. I have a sweet spot for Gordon Lightfoot.

Henk
Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
Bravo. Well done
Thank you very much for watching and commenting, Roland! I'm glad you got something out of this!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjock View Post
Thank you for the song Glen. I am a beginner in finger-style and the tutorial was beneficial. I have a sweet spot for Gordon Lightfoot.

Henk
Hi Henk,

I'm so pleased that this tutorial might be helpful to you! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

I, also, have a sweet spot for Gordon Lightfoot's music!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 AM

You can tell you own that song! That was some great picking along with the singing. That slot head sounds really good!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
You can tell you own that song! That was some great picking along with the singing. That slot head sounds really good!
Thank you so much for listening Rockabilly!

I, too, like the sound of that Martin 000-28VS. And now that this guitar is 10-11 years old, I think it really does have a better sound than it did when it was new -- not quite so bassy and tubby but instead, better balanced now.

I very much appreciate your comments!

- Glenn
Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I, too, like the sound of that Martin 000-28VS. And now that this guitar is 10-11 years old, I think it really does have a better sound than it did when it was new -- not quite so bassy and tubby but instead, better balanced now.
I know exactly what you mean as that's what happened to my 50's reissue J45. When I first got it, although good sounding, I compared it directly to a few vintage J45s, and it really didn't have the distinction in the low end like the vintage ones. After about 500 gigs though it's coming around nicely and sounding very similiar to my '64 J45!
Old 10-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I know exactly what you mean as that's what happened to my 50's reissue J45. When I first got it, although good sounding, I compared it directly to a few vintage J45s, and it really didn't have the distinction in the low end like the vintage ones. After about 500 gigs though it's coming around nicely and sounding very similiar to my '64 J45!
Very interesting! Glad you are happy with that newer J45!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell