The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Default Combining two pickups into One output.

So im liking the sound of the ust combined with a soundhole pickup. I usually run the ust through an lr baggs para di. The soundhole sounds great through it too, but if i use an aby switch could i safely send both pickups into the lr baggs to avoid having to have seperate outputs when running into a mixer?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:00 PM

You need a way to blend, or mix, the two before the signal gets to the Para DI. Usually that mean using some kind of blending preamp, LR Baggs makes one called the Mixpro. Most often the two pickups are wired to one endpin jack from which you'd use a stereo cable (TRS connector to TRS connector) to the blender. If you're going to continue to use one cable from each pickup you'll need another preamp and you'll still have two lines to the mixer. There are several other blender type preamps, Grace Designs makes the most feature rich one these days but it'll set you back more than 5x the price of another PADI.

The trouble you'll have using an ABY is that you won't have control over the volumes of each pickup.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Was affraid of that. Well another Para DI might be cheaper, now the hard part...convince the wife I need another Para DI.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceLocke View Post
Was affraid of that. Well another Para DI might be cheaper, now the hard part...convince the wife I need another Para DI.
Sell your PADI and buy a used DTAR Solstice, and a TRS cable.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Sell your PADI and buy a used DTAR Solstice, and a TRS cable.
Yes. With or without the TRS cable for combining the two singles into one cable, a used DTAR Solstice is a good solution and not very expensive. And it will let you EQ each pickup signal separately.

A Radial PZ-Pre will also do the trick if you don't mind using a single EQ for the combined signal. Not a bad solution if you've got some onboard EQ already for one of the pickups. Several other nice features, too.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification