The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM

Default Potential Line 6 L3t purchase and mixer question

First off I would like to say hi, 1st time writing on this forum, secondly if this has already been covered I'm sorry for the repeat.
Here's a little bit of back story. I have been playing electric guitar for years, original rock bands for almost as long but ended down the acoustic covers root, it's refreshing, more rewarding and less stressful as it is just me and the missus, we have been playing various open mics, charity events, venues with house P.A systems, and borrowing friends equipment up until now but we are in need of our own set up. The Bose l1, The Fishman sa220 have been heavily talked about on this forum but as I use a stompbox I am after something with a little more bass resonance. The Line 6 L3t seems like the perfect choice. We use 3 channels, 1 guitar, 1 vocal and my stomp box, Maybe one or two more down the line. What I have no clue about are mixing desks, are they necessary or with our limited set up can we plug straight into the P.A? If not what ones will fit our needs? Are they as important as the P.A or more even? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrobus View Post
First off I would like to say hi, 1st time writing on this forum, secondly if this has already been covered I'm sorry for the repeat.
Here's a little bit of back story. I have been playing electric guitar for years, original rock bands for almost as long but ended down the acoustic covers root, it's refreshing, more rewarding and less stressful as it is just me and the missus, we have been playing various open mics, charity events, venues with house P.A systems, and borrowing friends equipment up until now but we are in need of our own set up. The Bose l1, The Fishman sa220 have been heavily talked about on this forum but as I use a stompbox I am after something with a little more bass resonance. The Line 6 L3t seems like the perfect choice. We use 3 channels, 1 guitar, 1 vocal and my stomp box, Maybe one or two more down the line. What I have no clue about are mixing desks, are they necessary or with our limited set up can we plug straight into the P.A? If not what ones will fit our needs? Are they as important as the P.A or more even? Thanks

The Line 6 L3t will get the job done for you but at 57.5 lbs it's kind of heavy. I like the sound I get from my Line 6 L2t, which is 39.1 lbs. Both speakers are capable of good bass response with the L3t being able to go a bit deeper. As you need more inputs, you can plug a future mixing desk into the rear Line Input of either the L3t or L2t and still have the availability of the onboard mixer. Both these Line 6 units are very versatile and they sound superb too! Also, these units are part of the scalable Line 6 Stage Source products that seamlessly integrate with one another should you wish to expand from one speaker to many!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, so I can plug in 3 input straight out of the box? And upgrade to a mixer if and when more inputs are used? The weight doesn't bother so much, it is half the weight of my old guitar cabs so still down sizing

Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 PM

What stomp box do you have that needs its own dedicated channel? All my pedals can be used in-line or on my amp's effects loop.

I really like my Carvin AG300 (like a lot of forum members) for the same kind of application as you describe. Three channels, great bass response, mounts on a speaker pole, weighs about 30 lbs. About half the cost of the line 6, Bose or SA-220.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 PM

It's a Mississippi stomp box, it's a foot drum and plugs in it's own channel, I will have to look into the carvin I've not heard of that make before

Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM

The L2t and the L3t have two mixing channels and a line in. The line in MIGHT work for your stomp box, if it has it's own volume control. Otherwise, you need a small mixer. See my signature for what I ended up doing. The Carvin products are great too AG300 or S600 might be a good option. But, I'm very happy with the Line 6 unit.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM

It does have it's own volume but that's it... I'm thinking the mixer is the way to go so I can dial up the bass and turn down the treble for it. thanks

Old 06-01-2016, 11:56 PM

I gig an L3T and absolutely love it.

You can "technically" get a third channel if you don't need eq. I've run it that way, but I prefer a separate mixer.

I have run my guitar into the left side of my Boomerang III looper and out to the guitar mixer channel on the side of the L3T. with the vocal going to the other L3T mixer channel. I then ran my Akai XR20 drum machine into the right side of the Boomerang III looper and then out of the looper to the "line in" on the back of the L3T speaker. Since the drum machine doesn't need to be eq'd, I can get away with it.

I'd much rather have a mixer so I can put the L3T where it will cover the room best without having to sit directly to the left of it. The mixer gives me a little more freedom.

I'd suggest one of the Allen & Heath Zed mixers. They have sweepable mids, nice pre's, and decent FX. I have the Zed 10FX and the Zed60 14FX.

The L2T is great too, but the L3T is noticeably better. I run an L3T and a Yorkville 15" NX720s powered sub for FOH, and an L2T for a monitor. I still have a QSC K10, but the L2T and L3T are much better sounding boxes.

The SA220 and Bose systems are decent in certain applications, but neither sound as good as the L3T, and are either the same price (SA220) or way more expensive (Bose,) and not nearly as scalable.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I still have a QSC K10, but the L2T and L3T are much better sounding boxes.
+1. I drank the Kool-Aid and bought a pair of QSC K10 speakers a few months after they came out and found them to be rather strident when pushed. My single Line 6 L2t sounds smoother and more musical than did a single QSC K10.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
+1. I drank the Kool-Aid and bought a pair of QSC K10 speakers a few months after they came out and found them to be rather strident when pushed. My single Line 6 L2t sounds smoother and more musical than did a single QSC K10.
My findings as well SpruceTop.

Have you tried the L3T?

I'm in Buffalo.
Let me know if you ever want to come sit in on a gig. I play almost every day.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I gig an L3T and absolutely love it.

You can "technically" get a third channel if you don't need eq. I've run it that way, but I prefer a separate mixer.

I have run my guitar into the left side of my Boomerang III looper and out to the guitar mixer channel on the side of the L3T. with the vocal going to the other L3T mixer channel. I then ran my Akai XR20 drum machine into the right side of the Boomerang III looper and then out of the looper to the "line in" on the back of the L3T speaker. Since the drum machine doesn't need to be eq'd, I can get away with it.

I'd much rather have a mixer so I can put the L3T where it will cover the room best without having to sit directly to the left of it. The mixer gives me a little more freedom.

I'd suggest one of the Allen & Heath Zed mixers. They have sweepable mids, nice pre's, and decent FX. I have the Zed 10FX and the Zed60 14FX.

The L2T is great too, but the L3T is noticeably better. I run an L3T and a Yorkville 15" NX720s powered sub for FOH, and an L2T for a monitor. I still have a QSC K10, but the L2T and L3T are much better sounding boxes.

The SA220 and Bose systems are decent in certain applications, but neither sound as good as the L3T, and are either the same price (SA220) or way more expensive (Bose,) and not nearly as scalable.
I'm 99% certain I'll be buying the line 6 l3t, and will be needing a mixer, the Allen and Heath mixing desks look good, I saw somewhere else that the Yamaha mg10 mixers a good too, do they all do a similar job or is it worth saving up the money and buy the more expensive mixer?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM

I've got the Yamaha. You can dial up 1 effect for all the channels to share. I wish it had two or more. Otherwise, it is an excellent product.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrobus View Post
I'm 99% certain I'll be buying the line 6 l3t, and will be needing a mixer, the Allen and Heath mixing desks look good, I saw somewhere else that the Yamaha mg10 mixers a good too, do they all do a similar job or is it worth saving up the money and buy the more expensive mixer?

I prefer the Allen & Heath Zed mixers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification