The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post

(snip)

So, my little experiment begs the question...Why not just get another Heil PR22?! What would a condenser mic give me that the PR22 doesn't?

I'm now sold on double source for guitars with pickups, and also confident that as a solo performer on a quiet stage, micing the guitar only (no pickup) is certainly an option. So, I'm now definitely looking for a mic for live, "quiet stage" acoustic guitar amplification - budget is about $200 - Thanks for the suggestions so far...Heil PR22 (stay dynamic?), AT Pro 37?, AKG P220?, Rode M2?, something else?

I'd stick with the Heil. You could get more sensitivity and possibly more perceptible high end with a condenser at the expense of potentially more feedback. Doug Young often says that just a little of just about any microphone helps, and I tend to agree. In recording it may make the most difference but for live applications I don't think it's all that critical which mic you use.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
After reading a good comparison thread on the mandolin cafe, I picked up an Audio Technica Pro 37, a little small diaphram condenser. Sounds great on the mando and have been using it pointed at the 14 fret of a grand auditorium for rhythm guitar in a dance band. To my ear, it has a more natural tone than the CS1000. $170 and it's Japanese.
We have several Pro 37's. Great guitar mic if there aren't too many other condensers onstage. It can get a little hot if you have too many of them going.

As far as dynamic mics go, the SM57 is about the worst guitar mic you can use. I recommend trying the AKG D5 instead. We've used it on guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and a variety of voices and it always sounds good. And it's only $99.

If you don't mind spending some $, check out the Neumann KMS 105. It looks like a dynamic mic but it's a condenser. Darrell Scott uses it for vocals, and Bryan Sutton uses it for his guitar mic. Nuff said. Only $699 each!
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I was wondering how many of you use a microphone for your acoustics for live performances? When recording I use a condenser and blend it with my K&K direct signal and I really like the sound I am getting but I am wondering how much that would actually work in a live setting? Maybe small venue versus outdoor small arts festival kind of thing? I sit when I play so moving around isn't much of an issue. I was just kind of wondering what you guys use or recommend? I tried an SM57 but really couldn't get the volume needed.
In many venues I play, a SBT pickup with an external mic work quite well (solo fingerstyle), along with an appropriate signal chain and proper speaker placement. I've been using an Dorsey modified Oktava MC-012 with stock hypercardioid capsule for many years - inexpensive, quality build, with pleasing sonics and behavior. I've used many other SD condensers in the past, and I could use most of those again. Put another way, a quality unidirectional SD condenser mic will work just fine.

And, by the way, where is the OP?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Eric Skye

Lately I've been using a Blue Encore 300 on my guitar at shows and I really like it a lot. It's an inexpensive handheld condenser. My go-to gig mics in the last few years has been either the AKG 214 or various vocal dynamics. This has a lot of nice detail with pretty good isolation... Very much worth checking out.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
After reading a good comparison thread on the mandolin cafe, I picked up an Audio Technica Pro 37, a little small diaphram condenser. Sounds great on the mando and have been using it pointed at the 14 fret of a grand auditorium for rhythm guitar in a dance band. To my ear, it has a more natural tone than the CS1000. $170 and it's Japanese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
...snip...Why not just get another Heil PR22?! What would a condenser mic give me that the PR22 doesn't?

I'm now sold on double source for guitars with pickups, and also confident that as a solo performer on a quiet stage, micing the guitar only (no pickup) is certainly an option. So, I'm now definitely looking for a mic for live, "quiet stage" acoustic guitar amplification - budget is about $200 - Thanks for the suggestions so far...Heil PR22 (stay dynamic?), AT Pro 37?, AKG P220?, Rode M2?, something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
We have several Pro 37's. Great guitar mic if there aren't too many other condensers onstage. It can get a little hot if you have too many of them going.
...snip...
RoyBoy, THANK YOU for the Audio Technica Pro 37 recommendation. I got one of these off Reverb for a nice price, and it sounds incredible going into my Carvin AG200 amp. Exceptional acoustic reproduction at all amp volumes, reasonable feedback resistance, and sounds great with subtle effects (chorus + reverb) added. This is a wonderful acoustic guitar microphone, that is heads and shoulders above any dynamic mic I have tried for acoustic instrument amplification.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification