The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2016, 06:08 AM

Default Which instrument mic for live performances?

I was wondering how many of you use a microphone for your acoustics for live performances? When recording I use a condenser and blend it with my K&K direct signal and I really like the sound I am getting but I am wondering how much that would actually work in a live setting? Maybe small venue versus outdoor small arts festival kind of thing? I sit when I play so moving around isn't much of an issue. I was just kind of wondering what you guys use or recommend? I tried an SM57 but really couldn't get the volume needed.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

At my club I use one large condenser - an ancient Rode NT1, which picks up just about everything and works for experienced mic users and amateurs.
We also gig with it.
As and when we need more - AKG Cs1000s are also economical but are superb as instrument mics.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 AM

I like to use a Shure Beta 57A when the conditions allow it
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
I like to use a Shure Beta 57A when the conditions allow it
+1! The Shure Beta 57A sounds good, is bullet-proof, is a dynamic mic so no phantom power required, and it's also not costly.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Default instrument mike

I usually use an Audix i5 and am happy with it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:01 PM

The Shure Beta 57A is super cardioid and has good off axis rejection so you can stand a little further away for the same gain before feedback as a regular cardioid like the SM57.

In a quiet environment I've used just about everything including vocal mics like the SM58 or e935. When the volume goes up you need to get really close to the mic and stay really still. In those situations I use 100% internal pickup or go with an external guitar mounted mic like the DPA 4099.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:11 AM

If I can I will blend. I've had great results with an affordable AKG C1000 but these days will use a Beyerdynamic M930. You need to have time to set up properly though - not a tactic for the open mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 AM

There are any number of mics that could work for you, provided you a) have enough system EQ -- full parametric or graphic on both outputs, monitors and mains, as well as 4 band parametric on the channel strip and careful use of a variable hi pass filter, and b) keep your stage levels modest.

Any of the following would be fine choices, some are much more expensive, but are better mics:

Shure KM137
Shure SM81
AKG CK91
Neuman KM184
Neuman TLM-102 (often used for bluegrass style group mic-ing).
Sennheiser MKH40
Schoeps CMC6-Mk4
Old 05-11-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
There are any number of mics that could work for you, provided you a) have enough system EQ -- full parametric or graphic on both outputs, monitors and mains, as well as 4 band parametric on the channel strip and careful use of a variable hi pass filter, and b) keep your stage levels modest.

Any of the following would be fine choices, some are much more expensive, but are better mics:

Shure KM137

Shure SM81

AKG CK91

Neuman KM184

Neuman TLM-102 (often used for bluegrass style group mic-ing).

Sennheiser MKH40

Schoeps CMC6-Mk4

Great mics but expensive!
Martin J40
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I assume condensers are always the preferred choice for this application?

I'm thinking of adding a mic for quiet, live, solo applications. The mic would be used as a single source sometimes, and other times in conjunction with pick-ups (K&K Pure Mini, DTar Wavelength, and DiMarzio Angel). My amp is a Carvin AG200, so phantom power is available. Also, I perform seated, so I will not be moving around much.

Mic suggestions? Since this is sort of an experiment, let's put the budget at $200. Thanks.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 AM

A used AKG C 535 would be great. There are three of them below $200 on eBay right now. Or if you don't mind the bulkiness of it, a used Rode NT1 can be had for a lot less (in the $120 range).
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
A used AKG C 535 would be great. There are three of them below $200 on eBay right now. Or if you don't mind the bulkiness of it, a used Rode NT1 can be had for a lot less (in the $120 range).
Thanks for the recommendations! The bulkiness of the Rode doesn't bother me at all, and I actually think the look and vibe of a big mic is a very good fit for my style. My vox/harmonica mic is a Heil PR22 (which I absolutely love BTW), if that matters. (Is microphone interaction a thing?)

Heil actually recommends the PR22 for acoustic guitar applications, but I've never had good luck micing an acoustic instrument with a dynamic microphone. However, my experience with stage micing my instruments up to this point has always been on a stage with other instruments (often quite loud). Should a good dynamic be considered on a quiet stage, or is condenser the way to go regardless?

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM

If it's just you on a quiet stage, a single condenser mic can work quite well. Experiment with placement and away you go.

The slight bleed-over when using two mics is not generally a deal breaker unless you're putting the guitar signal through some effects - in which case I'd use a super or hyper cardioid on the guitar to block out your vocals.

I've used lots of mics on my quitar while singing through another mic. Right now I'm using a Shure Beta 57A and my guitar's pickup both into a Zoom A3 for a nice combination.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Default natural sound

After reading a good comparison thread on the mandolin cafe, I picked up an Audio Technica Pro 37, a little small diaphram condenser. Sounds great on the mando and have been using it pointed at the 14 fret of a grand auditorium for rhythm guitar in a dance band. To my ear, it has a more natural tone than the CS1000. $170 and it's Japanese.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Why condenser?

I spent a couple of fun hours this morning playing my guitars through my Carvin amp with pick-up only, my Heil PR22 mic only, and with both together. Here are some observations:
  • All the guitars sound good to me through all three amplification configurations.
  • I was surprised how good all the guitars sounded through just the PR22...(That mic really sounds good through the Carvin AG200! I LOVE it for vocals.)
  • The best placement for the PR22 seemed to be aimed at about the 14th fret, and about 6 inches from the fretboard.
  • The "pick-up plus PR22" was unquestionably the best of the three amplification choices for ALL the guitars (especially for the DTar Wavelength and the Dimarzio Angel...These sounded incredible when combined with the mic).
So, my little experiment begs the question...Why not just get another Heil PR22?! What would a condenser mic give me that the PR22 doesn't?

I'm now sold on double source for guitars with pickups, and also confident that as a solo performer on a quiet stage, micing the guitar only (no pickup) is certainly an option. So, I'm now definitely looking for a mic for live, "quiet stage" acoustic guitar amplification - budget is about $200 - Thanks for the suggestions so far...Heil PR22 (stay dynamic?), AT Pro 37?, AKG P220?, Rode M2?, something else?

Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 05-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification