The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Nope...

In the electric world it would be the equivalent of showing a bunch of single coil fenders in a "Show me your Humbucker guitar!" thread.

The resonator is a different design, which results in a different timbre.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Nope...

In the electric world it would be the equivalent of showing a bunch of single coil fenders in a "Show me your Humbucker guitar!" thread.

The resonator is a different design, which results in a different timbre.
Thanks Blue,for trying to defend my pedantry.

Boh National and Dobro companies introduced what are now called "resophonic" insruments.

Nationals came first in 1925(ish) with the Tricone. Due to conflict in the directorship, the prime inventor (John Dopyra) left the (his) company with his brothers, to form Dobro in direct competition, but needed to re-invent it (wooden body, inverted single cone) to avoid copyright issues.

National responded with their own singlecone design.

Both made round and square necks - round for jazz and ensemble players, and square for Hawaiian players.

In '32 (I think) the two companies merged, but the jazzers had accepted the archtop guitars and the Hawiian music rage had died out (or focussed on electric "steel" guitars).

It is my belief that this mayave brought about a glut of unsold Nationals which then became availabe to the poorer black rural blues players.

Manufacture of metal bodied guitars ceased in '41 when the USA entered WW2.

Nationals are now almost entirely associated with blues (and bottleneck) styles, whilst Dobros became more associated with country and (after Flatt & Scruggs sideman Josh Graves - into bluegrass in '55.

In 1989 Don Young and McGregor Gaines gained the trade name of National, and some tools, and advice from John Dopyra, andstarted making National metal (and wod) bodied guitars.

The Dobro brand has been owned by Gibson since 1993, and quaity has (IMHO) dropped and so now tghe best ones are made by one man maers and Beard guitars. Recently the National Resophoni started making their wn versons of the Tim Scheehorn design.

That's why Nationals ain't Dobros but, sometime one can be the other, but there are still two (or three if you count tricones) differnt designs.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:46 PM

OK, not a dobro! I know some people use it as a generic term, much like I often get "Oh, a Dire Straits guitar!".
Anyway, here's mine.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-12-2015, 06:22 PM

My fault. I intended this to just show off people resonators or anything in the family. I'm new to them so I don't really know the difference. Thanks for the education though.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_day View Post
resonators or anything in the family.
I'm not really a Dobro guy, but I love my vintage Nationals.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Actually, many would consider it a bit of an honor for their brand name to have become a generic term for the class. Hoover, Band-aid, Q-tip, Kleenex, Dobro.

Gretsch G9202 "Honey Dipper Special"

Bell brass body, biscuit resonator... dobro

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_day View Post
My fault. I intended this to just show off people resonators or anything in the family. I'm new to them so I don't really know the difference. Thanks for the education though.
Welcome to one of the most affordable guitar addictions! Even vintage ones are affordable compared to a nice SCGC or Goodall level instrument. Used modern Nationals (NRP) are a steal! Once you hear a spider (Dobro style) and a biscuit and tricone (National styles) in person or on a good set of speakers, you'll have no trouble telling them apart, and deciding which one is your favorite.

Tricone all the way for me...

Most here seem to dig steel bodied biscuit (national style) singlecones.

In a perfect world one of each would be awesome.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Welcome to one of the most affordable guitar addictions! Even vintage ones are affordable compared to a nice SCGC or Goodall level instrument. Used modern Nationals (NRP) are a steal! Once you hear a spider (Dobro style) and a biscuit and tricone (National styles) in person or on a good set of speakers, you'll have no trouble telling them apart, and deciding which one is your favorite.

Tricone all the way for me...

Most here seem to dig steel bodied biscuit (national style) singlecones.

In a perfect world one of each would be awesome.
The whole point of the introduction of resophonics (prior to electrickery) was volume.

FWIW - I've had my lovely Style "0" for some time and it is a finely built instrument but apart from the weight, it was just TOO loud form my purposes, which is why I traded it for the cheaper but lighter and more balanced volume of the wooden bodied Estralita.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
The whole point of the introduction of resophonics (prior to electrickery) was volume.

FWIW - I've had my lovely Style "0" for some time and it is a finely built instrument but apart from the weight, it was just TOO loud form my purposes, which is why I traded it for the cheaper but lighter and more balanced volume of the wooden bodied Estralita.
I get what you are saying. My ear just hears it a little differently though. It isn't so much the Loudness of singlecones, which do in general seem louder than tricones.

I will steal, and misuse, Dana Bourgeois' term "velocity of sound" to describe how it feels to me. They just hit so hard and fast, it is tiring to my ears. I wear Hearos ear protection when playing my single cones or my ears start feeling numb and tired. No ringing. Just an overall fatigue. I do not need to take any such precautions when playing tricones. And the volume difference between the two isn't that great. There is definitely something beyond just loudness that is affecting me.

And I do agree that my wooden single cone is a bit tamer in that department than my brass.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Semantics aside, here is mine. I love this guitar, and it has become my primary go-to player. It has a haunting tone. National Resophonic NRP-B built in 2011.

[IMG][/IMG]

Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 08-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
Semantics aside, here is mine. I love this guitar, and it has become my primary go-to player. It has a haunting tone. National Resophonic NRP-B built in 2011.
I don't know if an affordable mass produced duco style finish will ever come about. But the black rust is sooooo classy. If I was going for a steel one it would be hard choice between the triolian polychrome and black rust. The polychrome looks great in person, but not in pictures. The black rust just always looks great!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:32 PM

Dunno if I've shared this already or not but here's mine: National Vintage Steel Tricone.

A steel body sounds so much better to me for Tricones than brass.

I'll be playing a few tunes on this guitar in just a few hours.

Got a little gig tonight.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-13-2015, 04:19 PM

Roundneck Rayco

Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Here's a shot of my Republic Tricone 200 roundneck acoustic electric. I'm even thinking about learning a little bit of slide.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-15-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
We have the same guitar! What's your serial? Pretty sure mine was built in 2011, as well. Mine is 17973. Like you, I love it. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I could only keep one of my guitars, this would be it.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments