The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Post Ukeleles getting more popular?

Not really a ukelele but I recently just got a guitalele myself...

The booming business of ukuleles

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Within the past 4 years I've noticed an uptick in ukulele prevalence.

And in that same time Martin and Collings started to make them (not the first time for Martin).
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM

I heard that they've been the top selling instrument worldwide for a couple of years now...

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
Within the past 4 years I've noticed an uptick in ukulele prevalence.

And in that same time Martin and Collings started to make them (not the first time for Martin).
Definitely not the first time for Martin.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM

There's been a couple discussions on Ukulele Underground on whether the Ukulele's popularity has peaked or not.

I think that the musician aspect of it's popularity is still strong and growing. A lot of folks (me included) have learned what a fun little instrument it is and are enthusiastic players.

I do wonder if the "fad" among kids has waned or will soon. For a while every teenager wanted one, and now younger kids coming on will see the ukulele as so "2012".

In the past, is has been a fad instrument. The 1920s, the 50's, and Tiny Tim just about shamed it to death in the late 60's.

But on the good side, there are a lot of mature aficionados, and many young people too that appreciate the Uke, and hopefully it will remain a strong part of our musical lexicon for a long time.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM

I am thinking of getting one, they look fun. Justin Sandercoe of justinguitar.com is now posting free ukulele video lessons too!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM

The trend has been going on for quite a few years (I would guess at least five) now here in Oz. I understand that some schools, I don't know what proportion, have gone from recorder to uke as the first non-percussion instrument. I can see a downside in this, due to the time spent tuning up for the class. My town has had a uke group for a couple of years now; Brisbane, our bigger neighbour, much longer than that.

I've got two half-decent ukes, one of which is a reso; I was playing it yesterday. The local store had a Yamaha guitalele in a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was a bargain by our standards at $99 ticket (maybe $85 with discount), but it was gone when I went back a few days later. I've never seen anything move so fast in that shop.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM

There's a small music store by me that has been advertising a Ukulele Sale for a couple years now. They have a full time employee who's just there to talk to people about ukes.
I went to a music store in Kent, OH a few months ago, and the owner was telling me that the college kids there don't buy guitars any more, that ukulele sales are thru the roof. And that's in Ohio.
Ukuleles are far more popular on the west coast.

Ukuleles:
Concert KoAloha
Old 01-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Ukes are very popular but I think the popularity is waning a bit. I think they have jumped the shark.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-20-2014, 02:42 PM

I wonder how much of the uke's popularity is related to the vintage trend? I don't know if anyone in any of the Mumford Band-clones plays a uke, but it has that same quaint, old-fashioned feel as their thrift store vintage clothes.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Ukulele is a fun instrument. It's very accessible but, at the same time, you can do amazing things with it if you put in the time to develop sufficient technique. I haven't done the latter, unfortunately, but I do have a couple of them laying around and whenever I pick them up, I'm glad I did. I've been to jams where folks have played ukulele and both the volume and versatility they're capable of in the right hands is astounding. My only suggestion to someone considering getting one is to make sure it's not a toy and that it has decent tuners.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:22 PM

I think the trend is continuing to grow. The uke is a great social instrument and a lot of fun. No one tries to be Jimi Hendrix on the uke, it's a instrument that deserves more respect than it gets.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I wonder how much of the uke's popularity is related to the vintage trend? I don't know if anyone in any of the Mumford Band-clones plays a uke, but it has that same quaint, old-fashioned feel as their thrift store vintage clothes.
I think Izzie Kamakawiwo'ole may have had something to do with it. His rendition of "Somewhere over......" got a lot of air time a few years ago
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM

From the retail side, I can attest that ukulele sales are still going strong. We had a strong year with ukes and the holiday sales were brisk. From our vantage point, I no longer consider this a "flash in the pan" or fad. We are a guitar store first and foremost. The guitar players are embracing the ukulele. They are adding a uke to their collection of stringed instruments. I don't think all the guitar players will just give it up. Sales will trend up and down. But I think the Tiny Tim mindset has faded and the ukulele is now considered a serious instrument. Plus, it's a RIOT to play.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I think Izzie Kamakawiwo'ole may have had something to do with it. His rendition of "Somewhere over......" got a lot of air time a few years ago
Agreed. Though the great majority of those who have heard the song (it was featured in a few movies, at least one TV show, and several years ago in a commercial) don't know who Bruddah IZ was.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments