The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2001, 11:36 PM

Post 2001 910 Disappoints/ web site lies

OK I've dreamed for years of owning a Taylor. Finally decided What the heck. I love dreadnoughts (sp?). I wanted an 810B - all gone. Talked myself into wanting a 910 instead. I got my 910 this weekend. Of course, in a podunk town like Albuquerque, there were no 810s or 910s in town to play. Everyone was out of _catalogs_, for pete's sake. I played someone's 810 a month ago and it played like silk--haven't been the same since. So I ordered one. A whole lot of money to spend sight unseen. But how can you go wrong with a Taylor, right? And it was now or never, in terms of cutting loose the cash. Since I couldn't hold one, I spent tons of time at Taylor's web site. I convinced myself the 910 was worth the extra $750 (over the 810)for the elaborate inlay, the Engleman top, and especially the rosewood binding. I thought, 'wow, a guitar with no plastic.' So I had to order in my guitar and *surprise*, it doesn't comport with what the web site said it would be. According to taylorguitars.com, the 910 has gold-plated Grovers, rosewood headstock overlay, "Cindy pattern" inlay, and a rosewood binding. Well it has ebony Grovers, plastic headstock overlay, a much less elaborate inlay on the neck, and most painful of all, it has a plastic binding. They use words like "flagship" and "sumptuous" to describe the 910 -- when did they decide to delete all the workmanship? I'm sick about it.

To make matters worse, it plays brutally hard. Granted, it has some pretty chunky strings on it. But my fingers are turning purple after 2 nights. Can I put lighter strings on it without adjusting the neck? It sounds fantastic -- the echoes ring off the walls of my den. But it's not fun to play.
I can't believe how little fun it is to play.

It makes me feel really dumb. How do I learn to love my Taylor?
Old 03-12-2001, 12:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It just so happens that several guitars in Taylor's lineup have changed since the beginning of this production year and Taylor has not updated its website yet to show any of those changes.

As I have not seen a new 900 yet, I cannot comment on the differences between them, but I was disappointed when I heard they were changing the 900s this year.

There are no 2001 catalogs yet. They've only done a limited run of them and distributed them between their dealers. They're supposed to be available to the general public at the end of the month.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:52 AM

Hey everybody, I think Daniel has a legitimate complaint. Sure those of us who live and breath Taylors know all about the changes but what about everybody else? Since Taylor demands total control of their internet presence they have a responsibility to make sure the correct information is available.

Even if they are not ready for detailed presentations, they could take time to put up disclaimers saying the product lines have changed and to call for details.

Daniel,

1) Did you get your guitar with an allowed approval period? Can you send it back? Also the dealers knew all about the changes so if you told the dealer your specific desires, as stated above, you may have some consumer protection rights. If the Dealer will not help, talk to your credit card company.

2) Call the Taylor 800 number and, calmly, tell them your problem. First, they should hear this firsthand and perhaps it will prod them to fix, or patch, the website. Second, they may be able to help. They are well known for customer support so give it a shot. The worst they can do is say no.

3) If Taylor and the dealer don't satisfy you, you can probably sell your guitar on ebay.

Don't keep a guitar you don't like and if you are not satisfied by the outcome, don't buy another Taylor. If you bought a 910 you are in the range of getting a Goodall or a Collings or similar.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:25 PM

good advice, thanks. I didn't talk 'specs' much with the dealer I bought from (in Santa Fe, actually) -- I was talking to the Abq. folks, and then I called the SF dealer and he beat the price by $200, and he could get one in a week (the others said several weeks?) -- so all I really said to the dealer I bought from was "how much for a 910?" Haven't talked to them yet--but it's not their fault. The salesman even brought it to my house (70 miles away) 'cause he was coming to town anyway. I will call Taylor. I am a little calmer now, and I need to let them know, in a constructive way, what happened.

What are Goodall's and Collings' ?? Have never heard of these brands. American guitars? Where made? What is their claim to fame? Someone was swooning over Lowden guitars the other day -- Irish, I believe?
Old 03-12-2001, 11:40 PM

Goodalls ... my other favorite guitars ... James Goodall is based in Hawaii. Absolutely wonderful guitars ... I can't get enough of them. Big and complex sound.

Collings ... I still haven't found the available Collings that is right for me (I played one that another person custom ordered that I liked) ... based in Texas. Sounds and looks more traditional ... somewhat similar to Martins.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:19 AM

Yo uare not the only disappointed person. I was going to order a 500 series Taylor but decided to wait because the guitar was changes quite a bit from the previous year. Change can be good, but the company is alienating its repeat customers by not informing them FIRST of the changes and allowing them to make an informed decision. Changing the lines without informing the public indicates they do not care about the public. The dealer I was ordering through (a larger Taylor dealer who was featured in a Wood and Steel article) did not know all of the changes either.

I believe you should talk calmly with Taylor on the phone about this like previously suggested. If presented corectly, they should help your dealer satisfy you. they owe it to you.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:49 PM

Red face

Daniel,

I'm a brand new forum member but a very faithful Taylor owner. I'm really very sory to hear about your experience. I share the sentiment of others that it is Taylor's responsibility to update it's specifications in the form of the website and new catalogs.

I am literally "shocked" to hear that there is plastic headstock overlay. Are you sure it's not rosewood or are you refering to headstock boarder material?

Taylor does put 13s on the dreads so they can be awfully thick. I use 12s on mine.

I personally dig the ebony tuning knobs. I've considered ordering some for my 714CE but to my knowledge, you have to order an entire set of tuners. Want to swap knobs???

Seriously, if you are not happy, send it back. I've had pretty good experiences with Taylor in terms of customer service. Don't give up on them. They are wonderful instruments and you should be able to find one that totally flips your skirt.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification