The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2001, 02:50 PM

Smile The New Models Just Keep Rolling in

Although having limited square feet my dealer, Alamo Music, is one of Taylor's top dealer. As a result, I get to see a lot of new guitars over the year. The 2001s are rolling in every day...

Current highlights,

K20CE - I think the agoya looks great against the KOA. The K series now has inlay all the way around the sound board. I'm not sure I would want to put a control unit into such an expensive guitar.

714CE - I like the rosewood binding/koa rosette. The cedar top is not quite as stark as the engleman on the 710CE. Sounds great, just like previous 714ces

815CE - gone is the sharp cutaway and added is the wider nut. Makes me wonder why fewer jumbos are not sold. Great sounding guitar. I can't help but think the gap in the line, no 515 or 715, hamper it's adoption.

DDSM - Blondie, not the bleached white of the German maple but attractive nonetheless. Good sounding but soft, definitely a plugged in guitar. Baggs control is smaller than fishman and not as obtrusive but since this guitar needs amping, it's not an issue. As I played it I could see the value of such a guitar but sorry, I don't want Doyle's guitar. Unlike the Kottke, the DDSM is way too personalized for my taste. How about a 614D, same body, same setup but available in normal 600 series colors?

I'm anxious to see a 500 series 2001. I think the rosewood will stand out more against the mahogany.
Old 03-06-2001, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GRW3:
714CE - DDSM - Unlike the Kottke, the DDSM is way too personalized for my taste.

I'm anxious to see a 500 series 2001. I think the rosewood will stand out more against the mahogany.
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the DDSM? Personally, I think the custom ornamentation is very minimal-just the rose on the headstock and his name on the label. I was just wondering what else you didn't care for.

BTW, I played a 2001 514 last Saturday-superb guitar. Excellent balance, brightness and sustain. It was easily one of the best 514's I've ever played. The Koa inlay and the Rosewood binding looked very sharp, but I still wish they would have kept the snowflakes. The pearl dots do look nice, though, since they're smaller than the standard dot size. I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need to add a 514 to my collection, but this one blew that theory to shreds.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:04 PM

Smile

Different strokes for...

I think the DD model is just about the most attractive guitar there is (any maker).......

When I'm all grown up I'm gonna get me one of those.......

ihs....Did you ever get any of those National Guitar Workshop Fingerstyle books? I fear I maybe led you to getting something you didn't like........Too easy? Too difficult? Too much stuff? Not enough stuff? Stuff you already thoroughly knew?????
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-06-2001, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ihs:
Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the DDSM?
While the rose is attractive, I wouldn't want one on my guitar. I am also not a fan of 'Chet' fret markers. No name either, please. If I were to get such a guitar I would prefer the regular 600 series inlays.

Has anyone compared a DDSM to a 612 acoustically? What does the wider body with the same depth get you? More bass? Better balance? Bigger guitar?
Old 03-07-2001, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees:
ihs....Did you ever get any of those National Guitar Workshop Fingerstyle books? I fear I maybe led you to getting something you didn't like........Too easy? Too difficult? Too much stuff? Not enough stuff? Stuff you already thoroughly knew?????
Mapletrees,

Yes, I did get the Fingerstyle-Intermediate book, and a book of Classical pieces they had on their site as well. I've gotten into the Fingerstyle book some, but I've been playing through more of the classical book. Also, my wife and I just switched to a new church and are playing on their worship team. Now a good chunk of my practice time involves getting those songs ready for Sunday. I'm trying to keep up with practicing through the other books, but I've only got so many hours in a day (I'm sure you know how that goes ) Don't worry though, it's not too easy of a book. When I do get a chance to work through some of it, I'm finding that it keeps stretching me-not to hard, not to soft, but just right. Some of the things I did already know, but other stuff I just sit there shaking my head, saying "yeah, right!" I really do like it. Thanks again for the recommendation!

GRW3,

I haven't had a chance to compare my DDSM to a 612 yet, but the next time I see one I'll give it a listen and let you know. I do know that I like the size of it very much-the x14 shape sits high enough, and the x12 depth brings it in good and close. That and the sound were what led me to buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification