The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2001, 02:35 AM

Post dreads and auditoriums

I've yet to own a Taylor (but getting closer), and the dealer near me has only had dreads in stock. I play a relatively low-end dreadnaught now (a Sigma). Any opinions out there as to the different sound (or other qualities) of a grand auditorium compared to a drednaught?
Old 02-08-2001, 07:42 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Richard,
The Grand Auditorium style is considered to be a "fingerstyle" guitar while the dreadnaught is a flatpick and strummers guitar. The logic being that the Dreadnaught tends to be a boomier guitar which used to have a narrower neck and the Auditorium more defined for individual notes with a wider neck. The 2001 dreads however now comw with the wider neck. Of course the real test is which you prefer in sound and comfort. When you go to a Taylor dealer just play em all, then pick whats best for you.
Have fun deciding!
Bill.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:27 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Richard. Welcome to the forum! The Grand Auditorium is kind of a hybrid between a smaller bodied guitar like the Grand Concert, and the larger Dreadnought. This body shape is preferred by many because it offers much of the bass response of a Dreadought without getting "boomy", but it also offers the extended mid and treble response of a smaller bodied guitar. This combination makes for a great sounding guitar that excels at both flatpicking and fingerpicking. Plus, many find the body shape/size of the Grand Auditorium more comfortable to get around.

J.R.
Old 02-09-2001, 04:50 PM

Richard,

I love my 410 dread, but if I had waited longer, tried more models, etc., I think I would have ended up with a GA as I play half as much fingerstyle and flatpick. Plenty of bass response to satisfy me, too. I'm told GA's have replaced dreads as the most popular guitar style. I played the 814b and Jewel signature models yesterday and loved them both, esp. the 814.

Play all you can, even the crazy expensive ones. Then when you get the one you love it's the icing on the cake, esp. if it's one of the 300 or 400 series and you can still afford to replace the strings when they go. hehe

Jay
Old 02-09-2001, 11:17 PM

I've always been partial to Grand Auditoriums. Of my 8 current Taylors, 4 are GAs (of my 6 Goodalls, 3 are Concert Jumbos, the equivalent of GAs).

Currently, I only have 1 dreadnaught, and I've only had 3 others (which are long gone now).

I also have 3 Grand Concerts, 3 Jumbos, a Parlour, and a Backpacker (which isn't played much ... just when I play for kids).

I'm mostly a fingerpicker, at times I use a pick, but not usually. Most of my Taylors don't have pickguards anyway. Anyway, I just choose a guitar that fits my mood at the time.
Old 02-09-2001, 11:21 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention. The reason I have my current dreadnaught is because the Living Jewel only came in a dreadnaught ... I almost didn't buy it because of that ... but when I saw it, I wanted the guitar ... the sound has grown on me, though. At first, I didn't really like playing it much, but over the months, I've "found it's voice."
Old 03-01-2001, 09:36 PM

I currently have a dreadnaught and an 855 jumbo. I am going to an 814, not only because of its versitility, because it is more comfortable with its narrower bout and tighter cut through the body.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:49 AM

Richard, unless I'm mistaken another big difference in Taylor's is that the GA style usually comes with light strings while the dreads have the mediums. I own an 810 dread, and while It doesn't really bother me to play the mids, they aren't really as easy to play as the lights. Just IMHO.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by richard:
I've yet to own a Taylor (but getting closer), and the dealer near me has only had dreads in stock. I play a relatively low-end dreadnaught now (a Sigma). Any opinions out there as to the different sound (or other qualities) of a grand auditorium compared to a drednaught?
Old 03-30-2001, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by richard:
Hi Richard, I just purchased my first Taylor - a 414 Grand Aud after playing dreads for many years. It's difficult to compare the sounds because the Taylors sound so superior to anything else I played. The thing I fell inlove with was the comfort and feel of the Grand Aud.
Old 03-31-2001, 02:01 AM

Hello Stuart and Richard(if you are still checking in)

Many of my friends play dreads for volume reasons since they are bluegrass players.

I had myself talked into selling my 514CE or 814CE to get a dread...

But the more I played both, the more I heard this great sound, and easy playability of that model, the xx14, that is.

If you are looking for unamplified sound, the dreadnaught may have more horsepower.

But if you play through a mike, you may find like I did, that the xx14 style has as big a sound(and then some) as a dreadnaught. And, the GA is a bit easier to play than a dreadnaught...my opinion.

Take care.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification