The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2001, 05:43 PM

Post Leo Kottke 6-String (LKSM 6)

Has anyone played this model? I saw one in a shop about 2 months ago. I'm familiar with the LKSM 12 and just wondered about your experience(s) with this instrument: The sound? The size? Would you buy it again? I assume it's meant for fingerstyle, and that it takes a medium gauge string. How does it sound strummed? Flatpicked?

I have not seen too many available, and wondered if they are just produced in a very limited number (small demand?). I like the jumbo-size with the cutaway (plus mahogany).
Old 02-18-2001, 02:15 AM
Mitch

Hey Chig. I've owned one for about a year now and would say it's awesome. I play an 810 LTD for rhythm work and the LKSM6 for fingerstyle mostly. But it sounds great strummed or with a flatpick as well. I ordered mine with the wider neck option and it really makes a great fingerstyle guitar.

------------------
Mitch

"Restore Beauty Where There Is Ugliness"
Old 02-28-2001, 08:59 PM

No question, this is an excellent guitar. Trouble is, it has a 1 11/16 nut and I prefer 1 3/4. (Mine is a 1997). I fingerpick only. I wouldn't try flatpicking on mine because it lacks a pickguard and I wouldn't want to scratch it. If you're interested, mine could be for sale.
Old 03-01-2001, 01:43 PM

Smile

Thanks for the info on the Kottke 6-string.
Fred, I'd love to talk to you about taking it off your hands, but unfortunately, I'm a lefty. One lefty LKSM 6 sold on eBay about 2 weeks ago......
Old 03-02-2001, 01:39 AM

Talking

Hey Chig, as a lefty, I wander if you would care to comment on the post under teaching and technique that asks about advice for a left handed player. This thread seems to have some severe disagreement, and I would be interested to hear about your playing on a left handed model. I know this has nothing to do with this post, but

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification