The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 AM

Default String tension: put my mind at ease

The D-35 Injust acquired was previously setup for lights and has real low action. Has a nice, smooth mellow sound, but not the big tone of a typical Martin dread. Tonight I strung it with mediums and it came alive. New strings, so it’s naturally brighter, but the tone is bigger and volume is louder. I do notice a hair more relief in the neck. I’m gonna let it sit until tomorrow to see how it is, but will probably end up tightening the truss rod 1/8-1/4 turn.

With that said, is there anything in terms of too much strain on the bridge that I need to be concerned about? My local luthier, who has been around a long time, told me I should always use light strings. Said most guitars don’t need mediums
Because it puts too much stress on the bridge. I figure if it came with mediums, I’d prefer mediums, and I’m used to mediums anyway. Other than truss rod, does anything else need to be tweaked in terms of setup to ensure the bridge doesn’t end up having issues?
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 10-21-2017, 01:54 AM

The short answer to your question is no.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

You and your guitar will be fine
Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Guest 1928

ALL of my Martin guitars 00 and larger have medium strings all the time. This is also true of my non-Martin guitars. Some are long scale, some short scale, some belly bridges, some pyramid bridges. The ages range from the mid 1930's to 2012. None have ever suffered damage from medium strings.

I like medium strings.

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/f...ings-faq/care/

IS IT SAFE TO USE MEDIUM GAUGED STRINGS ON MY SCALLOP BRACED GUITAR?

Yes, it is safe. All of our six string guitars designed for steel strings have been tested to withstand the tension of a medium gauge string. However, since each top is unique, take note if the top starts to rise abnormally. If this happens, go back to the lighter gauge strings.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 AM

I can't help but chuckle a little over this concern and I mean no disrespect.
My guess is there are thousands and thousands of guitars out there with mediums on them and they are just fine.
Some of the reactions about this are based on past experiences with guitars that were poorly built and some "old wives tales."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Worry no longer and slap those mediums on there. I have a feeling Martin took into consideration that people might put strings on their guitars heavier than lights. Stop "fretting" and play.

By they way, I'm no luthier, but I believe that the guitar top is what holds the string ball end in place against the bridge pin. I do not believe the tension is being shouldered by bridge plate itself.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
By they way, I'm no luthier, but I believe that the guitar top is what holds the string ball end in place against the bridge pin. I do not believe the tension is being shouldered by bridge plate itself.
Ideally the bridge plate is the supporting the ball end of the string. This is what slotting the bridge and using solid pins does. Done right, the pin is only holding the ball end in place, not holding the tension.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I can't help but chuckle a little over this concern and I mean no disrespect.
My guess is there are thousands and thousands of guitars out there with mediums on them and they are just fine.
Some of the reactions about this are based on past experiences with guitars that were poorly built and some "old wives tales."
Well, I’m not asking if it’s ok to use medium strings. Like I said, I know it comes with mediums. My question is since the guitar has been setup for lights, by a luthier, in going back to mediums is there anything besides truss rod that I need to be aware of in the setup that could cause damage to the bridge. So, this is actually more of a setup question, not “can my martin handle medium strings.”
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 AM

There should be no implications regarding your setup by changing back to mediums.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM

I might suggest you try something like GHS True Mediums. On a D-35, they will give a (probably) much needed treble boost while maintaining solid bass. They come in about 10 lbs less tension than standard mediums but play like lights.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
..With that said, is there anything in terms of too much strain on the bridge that I need to be concerned about?
The D-35 was designed to be used with mediums, so no.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion