The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Fishman Platinum Pro EQ ISSUE!

Hi guys, I've recently bought a fishman platinum pro EQ/DI for my acoustic shows to give me more control over my sound.

However I have an issue: I cannot get it to work goiong through a PA via the XLR output (which is very crucial as I don't use an acoustic amp!). I have tried it through multiple PA's, different leads, and different battery in my electro acoustic

My signal chain is Faith Hi Gloss Venus-Fishman Platinum Pro eq-Fishman Platinum pro FX send - TC Flashback - TC Hof mini - TC Ditto X2-Fishman platinum pro FX return. This is powered by a Voodoo labs ISO 5, and then I run this all through the XLR out into the PA.

But this gives me no signal (the tuner on the fishman doesn't even register).

I know the board is wired up correctly as I tried this in store and at home through my electric amp and everything worked perfectly.

Please help, as I have loads of gigs booked up over the next few weeks which is the whole reason I got this board together.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 PM

Perhaps obvious question: can you get the signal you want directly out of the DI? That is, are you sure the DI works/you are using it correctly.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 PM

Hi Ben. I don't want to see your post get buried and thought I would at least respond because I bought the Platinum Stage. I've only used it very little but I've not had the issues that you are having. One major difference between the Stage and the Pro is that the Stage can be phantom powered- the Pro only via 9V or plugged into your pedal board or wall.

It seems that you have all your bases covered, but I do have a question regarding your set up that might seem silly- don't take it the wrong way! I'm assuming you have a 9V installed in the Platinum right? You don't mention that in the post or whether you are using the wall wart plug in- However you did mention that you tried it in the store and at home on your amp and had success (and if you have the Pro always plugged in, the internal battery could be a non-issue). If your set up works in the situations your provide but not to the PA, it might be a faulty XLR out. You could contact Fishman directly with your concerns. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-01-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:12 AM

So when something doesn't work, go through the entire signal chain and be sure each thing works. For example: Start by plugging the guitar directly into the PA. Does it need a new battery? Try a different chord. Add in your boxes one at a time. Does your PA work? It is more likely that there is a simple fix in your chain than your Fishman Platinum Pro not working at all. The more components the longer it takes. When this happens to me, I usually find a button somewhere not pushed, a damaged cord or a dead battery. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Steelvibe: I'm powering the Fishman (and the rest of my board) with the Voodoo Labs ISO 5 Power Supply - so surely wouldn't need an internal 9V in it at the same time? Currently when the power supply is on I can turn on the tuner, and boost light will engage. I just won't get signal through the tuner function or the DI out.

Vanceboo: I agree with you about the methodical manner, but when I've had chance to use the platinum (and my acoustic board) through a PA I haven't had the time to go into that much detail of diagnosis (line check before gigs etc). What confuses me is that everything in the signal chain must be wired up correctly as when I've used it through an amp all the effects and the fishman works, it is only when using the DI out I don't get a signal.

The only progress I've made is that the lead I have predominantly been using from Fishman input to my guitar doesn't get a signal with the tuner, where as others do. It is quite a long lead but it is of high quality and isn't broken.

I've tried contacting Fishman, but being in the UK I've struggled to get a hold of them
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Pinkus View Post
Thanks for your responses.

Steelvibe: I'm powering the Fishman (and the rest of my board) with the Voodoo Labs ISO 5 Power Supply - so surely wouldn't need an internal 9V in it at the same time? Currently when the power supply is on I can turn on the tuner, and boost light will engage. I just won't get signal through the tuner function or the DI out.

Vanceboo: I agree with you about the methodical manner, but when I've had chance to use the platinum (and my acoustic board) through a PA I haven't had the time to go into that much detail of diagnosis (line check before gigs etc). What confuses me is that everything in the signal chain must be wired up correctly as when I've used it through an amp all the effects and the fishman works, it is only when using the DI out I don't get a signal.

The only progress I've made is that the lead I have predominantly been using from Fishman input to my guitar doesn't get a signal with the tuner, where as others do. It is quite a long lead but it is of high quality and isn't broken.

I've tried contacting Fishman, but being in the UK I've struggled to get a hold of them
Did you check the XLR cable? However, the fact that the tuner isn't picking up the instrument makes me think that it's either the pickup itself that is not working or the cable. Are you sure both of those are working properly?
Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 AM

On the front side of the unit is a pre/post switch for the XLR. If it's set to "pre" you will only get the basic input signal of the guitar. It's possible that if you don't have the input trim set high enough your signal is too weak and the board may not be getting the proper level.

Is the input led showing level? Also the XLR out on that unit is at a fixed level and not changed by the Volume control and Boost. I would also try a different cable. You should really be able to trouble shoot this at home. A gig is not the best place to do so.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
On the front side of the unit is a pre/post switch for the XLR. If it's set to "pre" you will only get the basic input signal of the guitar. It's possible that if you don't have the input trim set high enough your signal is too weak and the board may not be getting the proper level.

Is the input led showing level? Also the XLR out on that unit is at a fixed level and not changed by the Volume control and Boost. I would also try a different cable. You should really be able to trouble shoot this at home. A gig is not the best place to do so.
You beat me to it Cochese, that seems like a logical next step
Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 AM

I went to a practice studio with the aim of being super methodical and sorting this out once and for all.

Brought every lead I owned, multiple power supplies, batteries, XLR's, you name it I brought it.

First thing I tried, use a different 1/4 jack lead to fishman/guitar - and guess what it worked!

Bare in mind that the other lead is not broken. Then proceeded to test all my leads, and found that only half of them worked. They were all of differing lengths/quality/age/jack angles etc. Don't know exactly why some of these leads don't work, but at least I know the source of the problem and not to use these leads in the future.

Thanks for everyone's comments - hopefully this is the problem solved and I will have a working board for my gigs this weekend.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Pinkus View Post
I went to a practice studio with the aim of being super methodical and sorting this out once and for all.

Brought every lead I owned, multiple power supplies, batteries, XLR's, you name it I brought it.

First thing I tried, use a different 1/4 jack lead to fishman/guitar - and guess what it worked!

Bare in mind that the other lead is not broken. Then proceeded to test all my leads, and found that only half of them worked. They were all of differing lengths/quality/age/jack angles etc. Don't know exactly why some of these leads don't work, but at least I know the source of the problem and not to use these leads in the future.

Thanks for everyone's comments - hopefully this is the problem solved and I will have a working board for my gigs this weekend.
Could you maybe tell us the different cables you were using? That doesn't really make any sense why some would work while others don't. Are you 100% sure that they all work? I just can't wrap my head around that one. It's possible that your pickup signal is not strong enough through longer cables but I highly doubt that's the case. Just to be clear as well, you didn't have the tuner engaged at any point? This cuts the signal, which I assume you know.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 AM

The main culprit was a fairly long cable but 100% works as only got it a few weeks prior and has been used through my Mesa Lonestar Special (which is picky with leads - they have to be shielded iirc). But another one that didn't work was only 10ft, although it is quite old and has been heavily used so may be on its way out.

And yup I know the mute function from the tuner - with these leads the tuner wouldn't work either.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Glad you figured out the issue Ben and are back in business

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification