The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Default What is your favorite acoustic amp?

What amp do you normally use for acoustic electric playing, when you are not using a PA system with mikes in a venue? I have had this Ultrasound AG-50 for almost 20 years--before it became the "Dean Markley," and have absolutely loved it. The tone is very realistic, and I find it sufficiently powerful for virtually all of my needs. This particular model has never done me wrong, and takes "in line" eq hardware very well:

Martin D-35 1995
Martin 000-28EC, with K&K pure 2013
Taylor 614CE 2005
La Patrie Collection, QT1

Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 PM

I just bought an AER compact 60 for a reasonable price and it's everything I'd hoped for. I cant compare it to many others though cause I've owned very few acoustic amps. To my ears its great.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:10 PM

I love the loudbox mini myself. Partly because it is a fantastic sounding amp. But mostly because of its compact size and the fact I somehow got it for $80 and a cheap sub 100 dollar mandolin... Great value!
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM

Fishman Loudbox series.

For best results DI Box straight into PA.

With electric guitar amps you're looking for something that's going to be responsible for most of your tonal character so the goal is to find a good amp to add the right tonal character/color. With acoustic amps it's about accurately reproducing what the microphone or acoustic pickup is capturing without adding any color to the tone. The best acoustic amps do that well and also have features like phase shift for feedback control, XLR inputs for balanced input, phantom power option for condenser mics and perhaps analog reverb and analog compression. I think Fishman amps offer a lot.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Fishman Loudbox series.

For best results DI Box straight into PA.

With electric guitar amps you're looking for something that's going to be responsible for most of your tonal character so the goal is to find a good amp to add the right tonal character/color. With acoustic amps it's about accurately reproducing what the microphone or acoustic pickup is capturing without adding any color to the tone. The best acoustic amps do that well and also have features like phase shift for feedback control, XLR inputs for balanced input, phantom power option for condenser mics and perhaps analog reverb and analog compression. I think Fishman amps offer a lot.
+1...I play for a living and use 2 Loudbox Performers but I also have an Artist for backup/smaller venues and I have a Mini for studio/recording/misc...

I agree with RMZ and found the transparency, versatility and tone of these amps to be excellent. With about 15 different venues I rotate thru, it's nice to have good compact system with their features...In addition Frank in customer service is awesome. When I blew a subwoofer, he sent me a new one n/c within a week. When I put it in myself I saw how well the interior is put together.

I run my vox thru ch 1, guitar thru ch 2 and my MP3 in aux for when I go on break, I jus turn up aux for seamless music performance.

There may be some better amps, but aside from the thin tolex which is not rugged (my only negative) the Loudbox series delivers great quality for my rigorous duties I put 'em thru here on salty, hot, humid coast of Florida.

Fishman rockz my boat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification