The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2016, 02:36 PM

I've got a ZT Lunchbox Acoustic and at 12 lbs it is quite capable. Regardless of how ZT rates its power there is no way something that small with a 6.5" speaker is going to get that loud (I've not tried an external speaker). I've tested it against a 40 watt AER Alpha and the Alpha is louder, but not better sounding with my guitar. The AER has a nicer overall build quality but, for example, does not have nutted down pots which the ZT does. I ended up returning the Alpha due to a noisy volume pot and not enough upside to my ZT. The Lunch Box Acoustic is loud enough for my purposes which is mostly small pit band gigs, jam sessions, and small duo gigs where I don't need to lug my PA (will be using it tonight at an art gallery).

So here are the ZT's pluses and minuses in my usage...
  • I got it for 15% off the old $400 MAP which was a bargain.
  • Add a Tube Screamer and you've got a nice electric amp too.
  • The plate reverb is really good.
  • The microphone channel is bandpass equalized for voice and sounds fine with voice. However, it does not sound that good with an instrument plugged into the mic channel ¼” input.
  • The effects return and AUX input are better for a second instrument but seem equalized a bit brighter than I would ideally want.
  • There is a turn on/off transient if the master volume is not set to zero. Not too loud but hard to ignore.
  • If you want to place the amp on a desktop, the preamp hiss can be annoying if you don’t set the master VOLUME relatively low and the channel GAIN relatively high.
  • For guitar it sounds best on the floor and for coverage or voice best up on a stool.
So if small and light is your need, enough volume for a quiet or smaller gig, and you don't mind it's idiosyncratic layout of controls and inputs, it is unbeatable.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-27-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am very happy with my Fender Acoustasonic 15
I used one last year to try out the latest ES2 at GC and thought that amp really sounded bad. Maybe that one was defective... The Loudbox Mini next to it sounded really good in comparison.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

So after a few days of research, here's where I am so far. I have heard none of these amps in person yet, but they have piqued my interest based on a combination of peoples recommendations here, their features, size, weight and their looks. As far as the 'looks' thing goes, I want something that will look nice sitting in our small living room.

A few things I forgot to mention at the beginning of this post is I really like have dual XLR inputs with phantom power on both (like running my Red Eye into amp for guitar, so need XLR and phantom power) and also feedback control circuitry or notch filter. Here we go in no particular order:

AER Compact 60/3: Pros - relatively small in size and weight (14.3 pounds), by all accounts from people that own them and video reviews great sound that gets very loud despite its small size, two channels, simple EQ'ing, built-in reverb/delay/chorus effects, and despite a somewhat utilitarian look I still find it attractive. Cons - Pricey ($1,199 at most online ads), only one XLR input for mic so no XLR/phantom for my guitar/Red Eye input, no notch/feedback circuitry.

Schertler Jam 100: Pros - relatively small in size and weight (24.25 pounds), great sound on guitar and vocals, three channels - two of them XLR with phantom, three-band EQ on all three channels, effects (reverb only), very attractive wood cabinet with steel grille, good online price of $599. Cons - no easy grab-and-go handle (dual recessed handles each side), no notch/feedback circuitry.

Carvin AG200: Pros - relatively small in size and weight (26 pounds - just barely over my 25 pound 'limit'), great sound on guitar and vocals, three channels (can do dual input so six) with both XLR and 1/4" inputs, two channels with phantom power, three-band EQ with sweepable mids on two channels, two effects 'channels' - reverb/echo (delay?)/chorus - selectable on all three channels (either/or, not both), pole mount hole, tilt-back handle, rubber feat on two surfaces, metal corners, attractive tolex options (I actually like the stock brown), USB charging port (really?!?), excellent new price - $425 on sale with free foot switch! Cons - not many, not particularly attractive (looks like an amp), a little heavier than wanted but not too bad.

Fender Acoustic SFX: Pros - relatively small in size and weight (25 pounds), great sound - especially vocals, two channels with two XLR/1/4" combos, three-band EQ, attractive wood cabinet and design. Cons - price is $899 new, no phantom power (that I could see or read about - could not find an actual Fender website page), no feedback/notch circuitry, no handles for carrying.

From what I've just written it's obvious that the Carvin is the best bang for the buck, by FAR. If it's all about the size and portability and simplicity while still getting very good and loud sound reproduction than the AER is the pick. The Schertler is a nice combination of looks, price, features and seems to give the best all-around considerations.

It's a tough call as the first three all have different things that appeal to me.

Ideally I'm looking for something that sounds REALLY good, right up there with our Fishman SA200 but is smaller and lighter while still looking good and will look attractive in our soon-to-be new living room, while still providing enough grab-and-go power and features for any small party/coffee house gig that will surely pop up in the future.

I'm leaning towards the Carvin. That layout of controls is just SO brilliantly thought out and laid out. I can't believe just how much stuff they have crammed into that amp. And there's no shortage of positive feedback here.

Thoughts from anyone that has experience A/B/C/D'ing them (any combination thereof) is appreciated.

Last edited by Methos1979; 05-26-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Admittedly my experience with acoustic amps is limited but my Fishman Loudbox Mini is the best I've used. Small, powerful and transparent. I can't ask for more than that.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

I had the Mini too and it was a very good little amp for it's size. I only ended up selling it because I needed the dual XLR with phantom power of the Artist.

So I just pulled the trigger on a Carvin AG400. They are having a sale right now for Memorial Day Weekend so the prices were great. They are also running a special where they throw in the foot switch for free, although I'll likely never use that anyway, but free is free, right?

The biggest thing though is that I ordered it in the Country Western custom finish. While I really like the standard brown Tolex it comes in, I thought that brown Country Western just looking cool and works with an acoustic amp. And it's only $50 added. The down side is it adds 2 to 3 weeks to shipping time since they custom build from the bottom up.

But here's the cool part: When I ordered it I clicked on the PayPal button to pay and for some reason it did not add the $50 upcharge for the custom finish. I called to see what the deal was and the guy said that it was a glitch but they were honoring the custom covering at the price paid! Bonus.

Sounds like they are swamped this weekend with all the orders they are getting. Anyway, I'll update in 2 to 3 weeks when it comes in.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 PM

Congrats on the new amp. I assume you mean the AG300 and I see you can get one for just over 5 bills this weekend. That seems like a lot of amp for the money. I'm really happy with the Jam 100 but there are a couple features the Carvin has that I would like. The sweepable mid and the fx loop are the main ones.
Look forward to hearing your review once you get it.
Now the hard part for you. .........the wait.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
Congrats on the new amp. I assume you mean the AG300 and I see you can get one for just over 5 bills this weekend. That seems like a lot of amp for the money. I'm really happy with the Jam 100 but there are a couple features the Carvin has that I would like. The sweepable mid and the fx loop are the main ones.
Look forward to hearing your review once you get it.
Now the hard part for you. .........the wait.
No, I went with AG200. That model should give us what we need in the smallest, lightest package. The Jam 100 would probably have been my second choice and if the AG200 does not impress then the Schertler will get the call.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
No, I went with AG200. That model should give us what we need in the smallest, lightest package. The Jam 100 would probably have been my second choice and if the AG200 does not impress then the Schertler will get the call.
Same applies to the AG200, all the same features that the 300 has just with smaller speaker config. at an insanely good price.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I really wanted to love The Bud. There was a long thread and people raved about it but I could not get the tones out of it that I need/want - especially with the vocals.

Here's a link to the post I did about my experience with The Bud:

NAAD - New Amp Audition Day: Henriksen The Bud
All things considered, I am really pleased with The Bud. I get a great vocal sound using a Heil PR35. I also play with fingertips and a little bit of nail and get the warm clear sound that I prefer. I humbly add that I have a high end guitar with a Barbera pick-up. Most importantly..and I spoke with Peter Henriksen about this..is to leave the Bud on the floor or slightly tilted up with a hardwood block. When I did this the improvement was shocking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification