The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
Sorry, but the scroll is a solid block of wood and has no effect on the tonal qualities of the instrument.

I actually owned and A9 and F9 for a period and they sounded identical. That's why I didn't own both for very long. I've also had the chance, having the advantage of living a few minutes away from two stores that carry large mandolin inventories: Acoustic Vibes and The Mandolin Store, and have had the chance to A/B more of the two styles on many occasions and the body style had little effect on the tone.

Look up Dr. Dave Cohen on the mandolin cafe website. He is an acoustic engineer and has done extensive study on sound waves created by the tops on mandolins and he scientifically proves there is no difference.

Also having to have an F style to play Bluegrass is a bunch of gobbledy-gook! Find any style of instrument that has a nice, dry tone (any ff holed instrument will do this)and it works just fine.
Right on, I'll check out Cohen's study. The subtle differences that myself and others have heard between the shapes are definitely inconsequential and probably not even worth our time here Agreed, a mandolin w/ the right tone works just fine for bluegrass. Although as a bluegrass mandolinist here in Bill Monroe's homestate I've found that having a Fstyle is par for the course.
1890s Italian bowl-back mandolin
1920s Gordon tenor banjo
1920s Harmony archtop tenor guitar
G&L Tele w/ P90s
USA strat w/ Texas Specials
Epi ES335 w/ SD Seth Lovers
PRS Korina One
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM

my Cohen A-model mandolin is just great!

All my mandolins are a-style - some with oval and some with f-holes.

I don't like the f-model profile (for me that is).

I do love my flat-top Flatiron mandolin too!

f-d
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Look for a used mandolin because it most likely will have already been setup, so that is a savings. Also, I have started becoming partial to some of the older, early 80's era Japanese made imports by Alvarez and Kentucky. The ones I have played are well constructed, solid wood and have great tone. Specifically, I have been impressed with the older Alvarez mandolins. The quality went down when they moved them to Korea then got even worse when production went to China. A really good one can be had in the $500-$700 range.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM

If that Flat iron is still for sale that would be a good buy. They do sound very good. I also like the Big muddy models. I personnaly own an eastman 505 and it gets a lot of compliments from those having more expensive instruments. In fact they ooh and aah about it. I like it a lot. My only complaint is the narrow neck width. If I had to do it over I'd buy one with a wider nut. But I'm taller and have played guitar a long time.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 AM

I got an Eastman MD 604 from The Mandolin Store earlier this year. For under a grand I am really impressed by the sound and quality.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
I got an Eastman MD 604 from The Mandolin Store earlier this year. For under a grand I am really impressed by the sound and quality.
Same here except I got a MD 605. It walks all over the Micheal Kelley I had previously

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments